Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022-23 regular season. The Tank begins...

https://www.deseret.com/2022/11/26/2...e-phoenix-suns

Lauri Markkanen has become a priority for opposing defenses. They are not only trying to deny him the ball, but they are clamping down on him as the Jazz’s top offensive option and making it very difficult for him to operate. Markkanen entered the fourth quarter Saturday with just five points and then scored 10 points in the final 12 minutes, but it wasn’t enough to get the Jazz in front.
    that's why you don't call guys all stars in November. All stars show up night in and night out. Teams adjust. All stars adjust

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/11/26/2...on-a-sour-note

At 12-10, Jazz are 0.5 games out of the lottery and just 2 games out of top 10 odds. Pro-tanking fans will certainly sweat the upcoming stretch.

Also of note, December 15th (soon after this stretch) is the official kickoff of trade season as most every player signed to new contracts are eligible to be traded. We’re gearing up to find out what the front office might have in the chamber.
    buckle up! Time for Danny to start having some fun

Considering the run of games in the first part of the season the Jazz had they'd take that record as a big win. Some obvious flaws starting to be seen, especially on D and with rebounding and playmaking when Conley is out, but that's OK, team has a bit of time now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Considering the run of games in the first part of the season the Jazz had they'd take that record as a big win. Some obvious flaws starting to be seen, especially on D and with rebounding and playmaking when Conley is out, but that's OK, team has a bit of time now.
    don't think anyone expected them to continue to be the best team. They have 1 pg. They've had a chance in pretty much every game this year which says a lot about Hardy

will be interesting to see where Ainge goes. They were just saying they weren't tanking anymore but if the losses keep coming once Conley is back you don't have much choice. Nickeil and Simone need to needs to play

“You always hope to play for one team for your whole career. But it just didn’t work out,” said Markkanen, who grew disenchanted with his role and lack of a contract extension in December 2020. “I think I’ve definitely got better from those years, just mentality-wise and physically being in a better place. . . . I’m smarter and better now.”
    – via K.C. Johnson @ Yahoo! Sports

So while his four seasons with the Chicago Bulls definitely produced some highs, they also featured trying times. And all those experiences, both high and low, helped form who he is today. “I have very good memories from Chicago playing-wise and off the court—my kids being born there, growing as a family in the city of Chicago and playing with one of the most historic franchises. Obviously, there were definitely hard times as well, missing the playoffs four years straight,” Markkanen said in a phone conversation with NBC Sports Chicago that will also appear on the Bulls Talk podcast. “But I think now it’s just easy to say I needed that kind of experience to fight through that kind of stuff and get here where I am today.”
    – via K.C. Johnson @ Yahoo! Sports

https://saltcityhoops.com/salt-city-...-musings-more/

Unfortunately, though, that means that the culprit behind their 2-7 malaise is fairly obvious: the defense has cratered.
    (((Rudy)))

1. Rebounding. This has been an issue all season long, as Jazz opponents grab 32% of their own misses this season. But over the last nine, the Jazz are giving up 17.9 second chance points per game, the worst figure in the league.
    You have to dominate the glass if you're playing big. Might be time to move Olynyk?

But it’s actually not even just the turnovers: a third of their opponents’ live defensive rebounds turn into transition plays, the fourth worst figure in the NBA. During this 2-7 funk, that figure has ticked up slightly (to 34% of live opponent rebounds) and Utah’s opponents are running with the third highest frequency overall.
    live and die by the 3

Most teams that are bad at defensive rebounding don’t just suddenly become good at it, especially when physiology is involved; the Jazz are just smaller than a lot of teams when it comes to rebounding. And 3-point shot luck is just kind of what it is: the Jazz can guard to the scouting report more and be more vigilant about not giving up threes to certain players… but ultimately, they were never going to maintain that 32.3% opponent outside shooting figure.
    there guards may be smaller but no one else starts 3 bigs do they? Vandebilt, Lauri and Kessler all rebound, Everyone else needs to step up a bit

A heated sideline exchange between Hardy and the young guard brought a lot more attention to their relationship and to Sexton’s mercurial play. But count this writer among those not overly concerned by the intense conversation. Sexton has struggled to make reads and has found himself out of position on defense more than the Jazz would like. But Hardy taking him to task is actually a sign that he believes he can get more from him.
    I like that he gets after people on D unlike others from previous teams we won't mention

Other Sexton-for-Conley variants have been a little shakier. The lineup version where Lauri Markkanen slides to the four and Malik Beasley takes Jarred Vanderbilt’s spot is +5.4 with Conley at the helm, but -12.4 in 54 possessions with Sexton, per CTG. There aren’t more direct lineup equivalents with both a Conley version and a Sexton version that have enough sample size to cmopare them good faith. But in all, Conley-led lineups with no Sexton are +2.3, and Sexton lineups with no Conley are -6.8 on the aggregate.
    I'd say that is because you lose Olynyk who you can run the offense through where Sexton is more of a scorer still

Overall, seeing Hardy this invested in refining Sexton is a positive thing. Sure, the coach clearly wants his guard to address some deficiencies. But being that engaged about communicating his expectations — during a game, no less — tells me that tapping into Sexton’s better basketball angels is actually a top priority for the first-year coach.
    it ought to be. He's 23 with a big 4 year deal

The Warriors shot 92.3% at the rim (12/13) on Friday. Literally only one team has shot better on at least as many rim attempts all season: the Bulls, who shot 13 for 13 against the Bucks. (The Warriors also had a 9-for-9 night at the rim against Denver.) GSW’s 35 transition points were also tied for fourth most in an NBA game this season.
    Gobert kept teams under 50 btw

The franchise’s decision-makers aren’t likely to let the record at any particular point in time dictate their long-term approach to team-building. In fact, the indication I get from in-the-know folks is that the Jazz never really took those options off the table, even though they have not been as eager about change for change’s sake as certain pockets of the fan base have been. They view their strong start as a positive development that gives them more options as opposed to fewer. They still own more unencumbered picks than anybody, and they have good players at very matchable salaries. They can make deals work in a lot of different ways.
    depends on other teams. If they offer enough Danny will deal anyone I'm sure

That said, there are clearly players they would be more or less reluctant to trade. Markkanen and Sexton were acquired with the intent to give them a chance to grow, and the former’s early-season play has made it more likely that the Jazz treat him like a piece to build on. The rookie scale contracts of Walker Kessler and Ochai Agbaji give Utah several years of team control, making them somewhat less likely to be dealt. And as you’ve seen reported elsewhere, it would take a lot for ownership to sign off on a deal where Clarkson is outgoing.
    **** the owner!. Ochai hasn't impressed with the Stars yet. Kessler is good. Probably need to figure out how to get him on the floor more. I doubt Lauri and Sexton are the guys they are looking to deal but again if someone wants them enough I'm sure they are available. Not sure you are building around either player

https://basketball.realgm.com/analys...-Tower-Problem

The expectation for a 46-win team that follows their breakout season with a franchise-altering trade has to be somewhere in the vicinity of championship contention. The Wolves, right now, look like a team that will struggle to make the play-in portion of the Western Conference Playoffs. Their gambit appears to have failed—again, its fruits could still emerge later and prove otherwise, but envisioning this outcome presents a growing strain on the imagination. Going forward, Minnesota has the seventh most difficult schedule in the NBA; they will see teams much more equipped to exploit their obvious weaknesses.
    Too much talent not to figure it out. D is great with Gobert on the floor and the offense is bad much like when Favors and Rubio were starting. Towns and Russell are better offensive players than Ricky and Favors. No excuses. To me it doesn't look like Edwards hasn't been very good and he needs to be there best player

Philadelphia, however, hadn’t exploded the foundation of their future to put this dubious roster together. They moved Horford during the following offseason, added more shooting, and improved greatly the next season as a result. They also used their 2020 first-round draft pick to take Tyrese Maxey; the Wolves’ latest pick went to the Jazz in the trade, and with it they took Walker Kessler, an immediate contributor. Minnesota will not have their first-round pick in the next draft, either (or in 2025, 2027, or 2029). They also, again, don’t have the players they sent to Utah—Jared Vanderbilt’s relentless defense and demeanor, Pat Beverley’s barking leadership, and Malik Beasley’s shooting all solved problems that this team no longer has answers for. Now, there is no near way out of what they’ve built, excepting the possibility of another massive trade.
    or a new coach. You telling me Hardy wouldn't be killing teams with that roster?

And would that even look like? Gobert is a depressed asset after everyone’s seen how tough of an offensive fit he is outside of Quin Snyder’s system in Utah, with Russell also making more than he’s worth to most teams. Towns and Edwards were meant to be the duo everything was built around, with Gobert as their accelerator, but with the big plan failing as badly as it is, there’s no way for the team to meaningfully improve without trading one of them. It’s not something they’d do lightly, and it’s probably not even an idea they’ve yet considered with any seriousness. But the Wolves don’t have much time left to improve before it’s time to consider emergency protocol.
    Don't see how he is a tough fit. Many screeners and rim runners in the league still and he's the best.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50527894...he-losing-skid

Outside of Conley, the Jazz don't have another natural point guard on the roster. Currently, there's no one who can consistently get the team into their sets when things get tight or a defense gets more aggressive. On Monday, that played a role in Utah shooting 42% from the field in the second half (it would have been hard to survive a 3-of-15 night from Jordan Clarkson regardless of who was playing).
    and that's typical Clarkson. Needs to go!

https://kslsports.com/495964/mike-conley-injury-update/

Conley will continue the rehabilitation process but is considered day-to-day.

https://kslsports.com/495941/chicago...in-four-games/

Conley isn’t the best shooter in the Jazz backcourt this season, that honor belongs to Beasley. But he’s better than Clarkson, Horton-Tucker, and Alexander-Walker behind the three-point line, and against the Bulls, his absence was noticeable.
    1 of the best shooters in the league is better than 3 who can't shoot!

“Walker has done a lot of things very well,” Will Hardy said, “I thought in his first run that (Andre) Drummond’s physicality bothered him a little bit.”
    not surprising. He's got to get stronger

“I thought that Dok would give us a good presence and I was actually really happy with how he played,” Hardy said. “He rebounded well, wet good screens, I was really happy for Dok.”
    he had to learn something watching Gobert

https://www.deseret.com/2022/11/29/2...s-losses-mount

The second thing is that this Jazz team has not done well in tough, late-game situations through this losing streak.
    Clarkson is awful in the clutch. He hasn't done it in the past for good reason

Eric Walden: Mike Conley and Rudy Gay remain OUT on the Utah Jazz’s latest injury report. Leandro Bolmaro (concussion protocol) has been upgraded to QUESTIONABLE.
    – via Twitter tribjazz