Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022-23 regular season. The Tank begins...

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/12/3/23...-trail-blazers

The other side of the coin is they have the #22 defense in the league. That may improve since the Jazz have had one of the hardest schedules in the league. In fact, it almost has to. With the rest of their schedule loosening up, it’s more likely than anything that the Jazz will see their defense jump to the upper teens? Regardless, and barring any more significant injuries, the Jazz will be a playoff team this season. And that’s something to celebrate. For a team that was left for dead by the media and former players looking to make their way to a bigger market, it’s one of the best stories in the league.
    we really have no idea until the trade deadline passes what this team is this year

Anfernee Simons knew that the Portland Trail Blazers were facing an uphill battle at the Utah Jazz Saturday night. Injuries had left the Blazers with just nine available players. But Simons was tired of losing. The Blazers had lost eight of their last 10 games. So, h sought to be the spark his team would need to earn a much-needed victory. “Nine is enough,” Simons told his teammates in the locker room before the game. That proved to be true but mainly because Simons scored a career-high 45 points to lead the Blazers to a 116-111 victory at Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. But he did more than just score. He led. When Utah’s defense adjusted, he adjusted. And when the Blazers needed a defensive stop late, Simons made the key play.
    – via Aaron Fentress @ Oregonian

The Blazers (12-11) return home back above .500 and with Damian Lillard expected to return Sunday against Indiana. Although the Blazers sit in ninth place in the Western Conference, they are just 3.5 games out of first. “We’ve been dropping some lately,” Blazers forward Justise Winslow said. “But that’s part of it. Every team is gonna go that at this point in the season. But I think just for our morale and our spirit, this was a big win. And knowing that Dame is coming back soon, we’ll get some help from him.”
    – via Aaron Fentress @ Oregonian

Ben Anderson: “I should have gotten thrown out, that play was gross.” Will Hardy said he should have been ejected after the refs badly blew a bad foul that could have injured Jordan Clarkson. #TakeNote | @kslsports
    – via Twitter BensHoops

Eric Walden: Jordan Clarkson, on his fall: It’s a little swollen. It hurts a bit. But that’s just part of the game. (Insert wry smile to indicate he does not think that should have been part of the game.)
    – via Twitter tribjazz

Jordan Clarkson: live learn, keep the vibe going!!!
    – via Twitter JordanClarksons

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/12/4/23...-their-defense

Why are the Utah Jazz so complacent in their defense? According to Synergy Sports’ play tracking data, Utah allows the 8th most P&R ball handler, 4th most post-up, and 12th most isolation attempts - and opponents score at efficiencies that rank 5th, 6th, and 3rd highest in said play types when playing against the Jazz. I understand that it’s more efficient to play the passing lanes and force more difficult unassisted shots, but when playing against the better self-creating players in the league, you’ve repeatedly been burned. Embiid scored 59. Booker scored 49. Morant 37, George 34, Curry 33, Bane 32. Players like Dillon Brooks, Norman Powell, Kevin Porter Jr., and Reggie Jackson went over 25; Marvin Bagley was 9/10 from the field. Just last night, Anfernee Simons picked up 43 points in three quarters. Every single one of these players went well over league average PPS, and their respective offenses were strong enough from the unassisted option*, that the other options could retreat early and nullify Utah’s transition**.
    Imagine Gobert with this team!

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/12/3/23...022-will-hardy

Poor defense and rebounding strike again
    I know someone that would have helped

Tim Bontemps: Donovan Mitchell on if there was any extra excitement or anticipation for him to play at MSG tonight after the on-again, off-again trade discussions with the Knicks this summer before he was traded to Cleveland: “I think more so playing in front of my family and friends. What’s done is done, and I’m happy as hell to be where I’m at. At the end of the day, this decision was made and I don’t think I’ve been happier since I’ve been in the league. But I think for me it’s always going to be motivation to come back and play well in my hometown, but you could say that about anybody. But with what happened this summer, it’s over with, it happened and I’m happy to be with the Cavaliers.”
    – via Twitter TimBontemps

Birmingham Squadron: Welcome to Birmingham, @Feron Hunt The Squadron have traded Justin Wright-Foreman’s returning rights and a pick for Feron Hunt, a 6-8 forward from @SMUBasketball #SquadUp
    – via Twitter

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/12/5/23...what-they-have

After a summer that returned just three rotation players (Conley, Clarkson, and Gay) and only two members of the coaching staff (Jensen, Skeeter) from 2021-22, Utah had little idea of where they stood let alone where it could lead them.
    it would appear that Skeeter is Hardy's main guy now leaping over Jensen who I assume is still working with bigs. Bailey also returns but I guess he was considered part of the development department. He also appears like he may have jumped Jensen. I guess they are closer to Hardy's age?

In fact, the Jazz pulled the trigger on a Bojan Bogdanovic trade specifically to round out the roster for purposes of evaluation and development.
    they needed a veteran center and Ainge like Olynyk even though he's not really the center Vanderbilt is. Bojan wouldn't really fit on this team. He was a one trick pony. These guys are more versatile

JC is likely to opt out of next year’s contract and is likely to be looking a 3 year $75M deal, which you’re probably unable to trade. Is Utah prepared for that?

Mike Conley has demonstrated just how valuable he is to this team. Certainly he’d be value-add this season should a team look to trade for him or if Utah is interested in “going for it”. However, next year’s $14M guaranteed is giving teams serious pause.
    It's a partial guarantee and he's one of the most impactful guys you could get. He's really the key domino. Without him the Jazz aren't that good. With him they are pretty good. Sexton has looked good as a starter and at some point you have to go in that direction. Clarkson needs to go period. I'd love this team win or lose if they got rid of the shit show

Kelly Olynyk’s ability to stretch the floor at the 5 and pass has really helped unlock the Jazz as a top 5 offense but the defense has suffered and he’s extremely foul prone.
    and he's weak on the glass where they haven't been good. You play big you have to win the rebounding period!

The Jazz more or less know what they have with Lauri: an All-Star level talent, under team control, on a great contract. Per reports, Jazz are signaling no intent to move him.
    Yeah without Conley he's looked mostly like the same guy he's always been.

Jarred’s increased inclination to fire from the right corner 3P line is a big development. He’s already taken more (26) than in all previous seasons combined and made 4x more (12) than ever. He’s a tricky player for whom to evaluate impact. The starting lineup is great but all other lineups featuring Vando have gotten smoked.
    Love him. He's gotten better around the rim finishing and passing off too. He's the kind of guy you want on your team. Ideally he's probably coming off the bench with his energy though

Collin came to the Jazz as the biggest question mark and remains such through the quarter mark of the regular season. They envision a 6th man role and developing him into a PG with mixed results thus far.
    He looks like a better pg already than Mitchell ever was. Like him a lot too. Like him better than Donovon

He’s shooting just shy of 39% from beyond the arc at the second highest volume of his career. He’s generating a lot of gravity and attention on offense. He’s showing an ability to create a bit off the dribble though decision making can suffer and the defense is iffy.
    another guy that fits in anywhere assuming he's not a bad influence on the kids. He should be starting

Jazz know what they have but know there’s more development to take place.
    not sure they do. He shot 3's in college. Not good but he did shoot them. I don't think his ceiling is as high as Gobert's so I'm not sure if he's a guy you want starting or not but he can play!

But the 3P shot just isn’t there. He’s amassed 400 career attempts at a 27% success rate. He does find himself a victim of blinders offensively but has shown defensive instincts and a better recipe for efficient offense. He’s a puzzle I don’t know will ever be solved.
    he has to get better shooting the ball

Nickeil’s most encouraging development appears to be defensively where he’s moved well, competed, and avoided consistent mistakes. His offensive efficiency remains nothing to boast about but he’s having a good season from a creating for other standpoint.
    he's looked really good when he's gotten the chance. Needs to shott more consistently

There’s a ton to learn about Agbaji but so far the more we do the less encouraging it is.
    he only had one really good game in the Gleague. For someone that played in college for a few years and was a lotttery pick he has to be one of the best players down there

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2022/...rect-lakers/3/

doubt the Jazz do it for 1 1st though you do get rid of Gay's contract

He can’t wait to get back on the court but confessed that he doesn’t expect to play for too many more years in the NBA. “To be honest, I don’t have much left in the NBA,” the MVP of the World Cup 2019 noted and expressed his desire to reach the NBA finals with the Cavs. “When my son starts school, I want to settle in my house in Badalona. In two-three years, I would say I have left. I think I’ve found my place in Cleveland, I’m comfortable, and I want to reach the top with this project. I dream of living the experience of playing in the Finals“.
    – via EuroHoops.net

Michael Scotto: Danny Ainge wanted to give Will Hardy an opportunity to have a group of guys he could work with and develop a culture there, especially as a first-year head coach. I’ve heard Utah has been impressed with Lauri Markkanen. It would take a lot for Utah to trade him. Utah also wants to extend Jordan Clarkson, who owner Ryan Smith likes a lot. The rest of the roster is expendable, including Sexton, as you mentioned, especially with Utah coming back down to earth following the team’s hot start.

– via *********

hard to have much faith in this owner

Dane Moore: Anthony Edwards on PnR chemistry: “I gotta learn big Rudy still a little bit more. When he rolls, how long it takes him to get out of the screen, stuff like that.” Then I asked if he has ever played with a straight rolling big — even in AAU. Ant: “Nope. Nah. Not at all. Never.”
    – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA