Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jake Paul vs. Anderson Silva

Imagine reading this 5 years ago.

I'm confused, how is this shit actually going down?

I know the Logan bro's are pretty good amateur boxers, but Anderson Silva? Even if well retired?

I mean Logan gave Floyd a solid fight

Default Re: Jake Paul vs. Anderson Silva

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Imagine reading this 5 years ago.

I'm confused, how is this shit actually going down?

I know the Logan bro's are pretty good amateur boxers, but Anderson Silva? Even if well retired?

I mean Logan gave Floyd a solid fight
    Logan and floyd was not even close. Logan was gassed and wasnt able to hit floyd. It lasted long because money....

NBA Superstar

Jake has shown impressive resolve and skills but can we hold off on calling him a professional boxer? He’s beaten three 40+ year old UFC guys and Nate Robinson.

How can he be a professional boxer when he has not fought a professional boxer?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Jake has shown impressive resolve and skills but can we hold off on calling him a professional boxer? He’s beaten three 40+ year old UFC guys and Nate Robinson.

He just challenges Canelo. If would be very interesting if Canelo actually accepted.

Just embarrassing

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    He just challenges Canelo. If would be very interesting if Canelo actually accepted.
    Yea he’s talked about how he promotes himself in an almost WWE fashion. Canelo would pick him apart but maybe not knock him out in an 8 round fight.

But the fact that Paul has never fought a match that wasn’t 8 rounds is telling for the point I was making too. Professional boxing matches are scheduled for 12 rounds, yea?

I see so many people ask that question...professional pretty much means you get paid to box, it isn't an indication of your skill level. Plenty of amateur boxers could beat up Anderson Silva or Jake Paul

Professional boxing, or prizefighting, is regulated, sanctioned boxing. Professional boxing bouts are fought for a purse that is divided between the boxers as determined by contract. Most professional bouts are supervised by a regulatory authority to guarantee the fighters' safety. Most high-profile bouts obtain the endorsement of a sanctioning body, which awards championship belts, establishes rules, and assigns its own judges and referees.

In contrast with amateur boxing, professional bouts are typically much longer and can last up to twelve rounds, though less significant fights can be as short as four rounds.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21 View Post
    I see so many people ask that question...professional pretty much means you get paid to box, it isn't an indication of your skill level. Plenty of amateur boxers could beat up Anderson Silva or Jake Paul
    I mean technically speaking sure. But you get my point.

If some previously famous dude forms a basketball squad that people watch beat up on a few teams of retired football players and one baseball, you aren’t calling them a professional basketball team.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

If some previously famous dude forms a basketball squad that people watch beat up on a few teams of retired football players and one baseball, you aren’t calling them a professional basketball team.
    I agree... more proper applying professional this way over the literal definition.

So what would qualify as a professional boxing fight in your opinion? Just to put things in perspective Anderson Silva beat 35 years old Julio Chavez Jr. just last year and he is a former middle weight boxing champion of the world. https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...n-boxing-match

Does that fight qualify as a pro boxing fight by your criteria?

NBA Superstar

So what would qualify as a professional boxing fight in your opinion? Just to put things in perspective Anderson Silva beat 35 years old Julio Chavez Jr. just last year and he is a former middle weight boxing champion of the world. https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...n-boxing-match

Does that fight qualify as a pro boxing fight by your criteria?
    No not really to be honest. Again I know it isn't the actual definition but to me you should have to maintain a certain level and certain number of fights in a given period to qualify. Exactly what that is, I'm not sure. But I don't think that Jake Paul has done enough.

He's certainly on the right track and if Canelo some how accepts and he looks okay in that fight then I'll change my tune.

No not really to be honest. Again I know it isn't the actual definition but to me you should have to maintain a certain level and certain number of fights in a given period to qualify. Exactly what that is, I'm not sure. But I don't think that Jake Paul has done enough.

He's certainly on the right track and if Canelo some how accepts and he looks okay in that fight then I'll change my tune.
    Lol Canelo would absolutely demolish him...Jake Paul is a youtuber who turned to boxing less than 4 years ago and we want to see how he does against arguably the current best pound for pound boxer in the world? I don't think that's a fair measuring stick.

Mike Tyson fought a guy with a 3 win - 16 losses record in his 6th pro fight, Floyd Mayweather fought a guy that had 1 win and 13 losses in his 9th pro fight. Canelo Alvarez himself didn't face a single opponent with a winning boxing record until his 13th pro fight...Did you consider all those guys pro boxers right out of the gate or only once they started fighting for champions belts?

Fighting lower level opponent to tune up for future fights is a very common practice for every starting boxer, difference is Jake Paul makes the headlines and sells out arenas while doing so and it rubs some people the wrong way. If you had the choice between fighting a big celebrity name or fight an unknown journeymen boxer with a 1-10 boxing record, you know the skill level might be about the same but the payout surely won't be.

If Jake Paul started boxing early I think he could have been a solid boxer. The Paul brothers are the best thing that happened to pro wrestling and pro boxing.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

When is Paul going to actually box a boxer??

NBA Superstar

Lol Canelo would absolutely demolish him...Jake Paul is a youtuber who turned to boxing less than 4 years ago and we want to see how he does against arguably the current best pound for pound boxer in the world? I don't think that's a fair measuring stick.

Mike Tyson fought a guy with a 3 win - 16 losses record in his 6th pro fight, Floyd Mayweather fought a guy that had 1 win and 13 losses in his 9th pro fight. Canelo Alvarez himself didn't face a single opponent with a winning boxing record until his 13th pro fight...Did you consider all those guys pro boxers right out of the gate or only once they started fighting for champions belts?

Fighting lower level opponent to tune up for future fights is a very common practice for every starting boxer, difference is Jake Paul makes the headlines and sells out arenas while doing so and it rubs some people the wrong way. If you had the choice between fighting a big celebrity name or fight an unknown journeymen boxer with a 1-10 boxing record, you know the skill level might be about the same but the payout surely won't be.
    Fair enough. Hard to argue with that.

I guess the attention he’s getting at this stage of his career outranks where it should be. He hasn’t paid his dues, nor is he good enough to be a headline fighter. Which is annoying when I know there are people who train their entire lives basically and are better but don’t get remotely the same buzz.