Banned

Default Is Jalen Hurts really that good or just a beneficiary?

A phrase I've heard often this season is "Hurts for MVP!" Well I've seen most of Philadelphia's games this year and nothing really sticks out except that he's mobile. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Eagles would be any worse if Minshew was quarterbacking the team right now.

Seems to me that Hurts is really just a beneficiary of a strong running game, offensive line and stubborn defense. Looking at game film, I don't think he's any better than say Donovan McNabb, except McNabb never had two No. 1 receivers simultaneously.

Default Re: Is Jalen Hurts really that good or just a beneficiary?

McNabb was one of the best QBs in the NFL during his prime

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

He's in the Russell Wilson situation like 10 years ago.

Good player with amazing intangibles, mobile QB.

But not as good as his stats or team record suggest.

Facts Are Misleading

As with any QB, the weapons and oline have a major factor in numbers. Not to mention who's calling the plays.

Rodgers went from back to back MVP to a borderline average QB. Brady his last year with Patriots had some of the worst weapons in the league, he was washed yada yada yada and then goes to a team with great oline and great weapons and he's almost MVP again.

Hurts on the Texans wouldn't be garnering any hype right now.

Tua went from scrub to putting up what would be the best QBR and total QBR in the entire league in what I think is the best era for top tier QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    As with any QB, the weapons and oline have a major factor in numbers. Not to mention who's calling the plays.

Rodgers went from back to back MVP to a borderline average QB. Brady his last year with Patriots had some of the worst weapons in the league, he was washed yada yada yada and then goes to a team with great oline and great weapons and he's almost MVP again.

Hurts on the Texans wouldn't be garnering any hype right now.

Tua went from scrub to putting up what would be the best QBR and total QBR in the entire league in what I think is the best era for top tier QBs.
    Agree 100%. In terms of raw skill, Hurts is undoubtedly one of the most talented QBs in the league... but his success this season is has been driven by the fact that he is surrounded by great teammates and he is being guided by a great coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    McNabb was one of the best QBs in the NFL during his prime
    Good not elite

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB View Post
    Good not elite
    Thats true, and the only "elite" QBs during McNabbs prime were Peyton (statistical) and Brady (successfulness)...

Jalen Hurts in 2022 is not any more "elite" than McNabb ever was (right now, Mahomes/Burrow/Allen are all better in terms of both stats and successfulness)