Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
  1. #31
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    15,558

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    It was never due to human activity. Until now. We are pumping all these greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which is having all these amplification effects I explained above.

    And we know natural causes eventually stop by themselves throughout Earth's history. Human activity is dictated by human behavior and human society, which are both unpredictable and unprecedented throughout Earth's history.

    Understand the difference?
    I don't think KNOW1EDGE understands the difference I posted in my above post.

    I should also add that greenhouse gases we are pumping into the atmosphere stay in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. We don't have the luxury of hundreds of thousands or millions of years like in the historical past for the atmosphere to recover (when humans did not exist).

    Temperature by itself isn't even the biggest concern of climate change if you actually understood the issue at all. It's greenhouse gases and the amplification effects I mentioned above.

  2. #32
    TX via OR KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    'murica
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    I believe what you are saying is true, green house gases are bad for the earth. Humans existence is bad for the earth. We consume and destroy. That isn’t going to change. Pumping trillions of dollars into fighting climate change is futile.. Human existence will likely end one day. I’m fine with that. I’m apathetic towards human existence I guess.. This is all going to end one day. It’s inevitable. You and I have no control over it.

    You are better versed in climate change than I am. I don’t really care about it. I don’t control the shipping containers, airplanes or China. My carbon footprint is minimal. Just like with the covid pandemic. I’m not going to live in fear. I just want to enjoy my time on this big rock. If that makes me ignorant or selfish I do not care.

  3. #33
    3-time NBA All-Star SATAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    10,527

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)


  4. #34
    TX via OR KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    'murica
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Explain yourself. What do you disagree with?

    Edit: I like you rrr3- and although I disagree on a lot of topics with you, I also agree with you on many and respect what you have to say. I’m not the smartest guy in the world and can admit when I’m wrong, or change my view/opinion. I’m very open. I certainly don’t think I’m well-versed in climate change. Maybe I’m blindly ignorant to the issue. I just don’t care- I’m going to die one day.
    Last edited by KNOW1EDGE; 11-30-2022 at 11:31 PM.

  5. #35
    NBA All-star jstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9,078

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE View Post
    Explain yourself. What do you disagree with?

    Edit: I like you rrr3- and although I disagree on a lot of topics with you, I also agree with you on many and respect what you have to say. Iím not the smartest guy in the world and can admit when Iím wrong, or change my view/opinion. Iím very open. I certainly donít think Iím well-versed in climate change. Maybe Iím blindly ignorant to the issue. I just donít care- Iím going to die one day.
    Ah man. I don't want to see KNOW1EDGE and RRR3 fighting, because KNOW1EDGE stands out to me as the guy who defended RRR3.

    Also, I didn't read the Bladefd post that you referred to, but chances are that you have a much better understanding of climate change than he does. Never assume that he knows anything about anything that he writes about. There's a reason why they call him "Always Wrong" Bladefd. And I'm not making fun of him or anything like that. I'm just being serious.

  6. #36
    pronouns - he/haw Nanners's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    13,057

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    The reason "climate change" is the only type of environmentalism pushed by corporate america and their media lapdogs is because the elites cant figure out how to use any of the actually scary environmental hazards (like microplastics or PFAS) to steal your money and take away your freedom

    A couple years ago Bill Gates spent ~50m buying a spectacular beachfront mansion in San Diego, and he immediately bulldozed the mansion and started building a much larger and more expensive mansion on the plot where it once stood... does this seem like the behavior of someone who is worried about sea levels?
    Last edited by Nanners; 12-01-2022 at 07:08 AM.

  7. #37
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    15,558

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    The reason "climate change" is the only type of environmentalism pushed by corporate america and their media lapdogs is because the elites cant figure out how to use any of the actually scary environmental hazards (like microplastics or PFAS) to steal your money and take away your freedom

    A couple years ago Bill Gates spent ~50m buying a spectacular beachfront mansion in San Diego, and he immediately bulldozed the mansion and started building a much larger and more expensive mansion on the plot where it once stood... does this seem like the behavior of someone who is worried about sea levels?
    Gates doesn't have to worry about sea levels in his lifetime. He will be long dead by the time it matters. That doesn't disprove that climate change is taking place.

  8. #38
    pronouns - he/haw Nanners's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    13,057

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Gates doesn't have to worry about sea levels in his lifetime. He will be long dead by the time it matters. That doesn't disprove that climate change is taking place.
    So I am supposed to believe sea levels are rapidly rising right now and they are a huge threat to the future of humanity... but they arent rising fast enough that any billionaires have to factor sea levels into their decision making process.

    Even if Bills house wont be uninhabitable in his lifetime, what kind of so-called "environmentalist" spends 50 million to buy a beachfront house, bulldoze it, and then 10s of millions more to build a new larger mansion on the same plot... at minimum this is extremely wasteful.

    If youre spending 100m+ on beachfront mansions you shouldnt be trying to shoot rockets full of dust into the atmosphere to block out the sun. Clowns like Gates want to impose enormous lifestyle changes upon the rest of us supposedly because of the climate, and yet we're supposed to ignore the fact that he just spent ~50m of his precious money to buy a spectacular oceanfront mansion that he immediately demolished to make space for an even more absurdly extravagant mansion? Keep in mind that he already owns a dozen other mansions, and hes not likely to spend more than a month or two per year at this new property once its built... ffs in 2019 Bill Gates flew private over 150 times, most americans will never fly private in their entire lives, much less own 10 oceanfront mansions... Bills carbon footprint is equivalent to an entire middle class neighborhood, and yet dipshits like you think hes some sort of climate hero

  9. #39
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    15,558

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    So I am supposed to believe sea levels are rapidly rising right now and they are a huge threat to the future of humanity... but they arent rising fast enough that any billionaires have to factor sea levels into their decision making process.

    Even if Bills house wont be uninhabitable in his lifetime, what kind of so-called "environmentalist" spends 50 million to buy a beachfront house, bulldoze it, and then 10s of millions more to build a new larger mansion on the same plot... at minimum this is extremely wasteful.

    If youre spending 100m+ on beachfront mansions you shouldnt be trying to shoot rockets full of dust into the atmosphere to block out the sun. Clowns like Gates want to impose enormous lifestyle changes upon the rest of us supposedly because of the climate, and yet we're supposed to ignore the fact that he just spent ~50m of his precious money to buy a spectacular oceanfront mansion that he immediately demolished to make space for an even more absurdly extravagant mansion? Keep in mind that he already owns a dozen other mansions, and hes not likely to spend more than a month or two per year at this new property once its built... ffs in 2019 Bill Gates flew private over 150 times, most americans will never fly private in their entire lives, much less own 10 oceanfront mansions... Bills carbon footprint is equivalent to an entire middle class neighborhood, and yet dipshits like you think hes some sort of climate hero
    I never said sea levels are rising rapidly, dumbass. It's not even the biggest concern stemming from climate change, even though it is a concern.

    Who spends that kind of money? Bill Gates. He can afford to. I don't consider him a true environmentalist. Most rich people I don't because they are not. True environmentalists are out there living a lifestyle with focus on the environment and doing work to protect/save the environment.

  10. #40
    TX via OR KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    'murica
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Blade do you consider yourself an environmentalist?

    I certainly don’t consider myself one- but I try to keep my carbon footprint small. And I hate littering. I love to fish and always catch and release. I definitely enjoy fruits of my environment.

  11. #41
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    15,558

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE View Post
    Blade do you consider yourself an environmentalist?

    I certainly don’t consider myself one- but I try to keep my carbon footprint small. And I hate littering. I love to fish and always catch and release. I definitely enjoy fruits of my environment.
    Yes. Although I'm not out there in environmental protests and stuff.

    I also used to do volunteer work for an environmental organization and did it for a few years (no pay). I studied reports by IPCC and UNEP, also microplastics & heavy metals. That was a few years ago anyways. Also studied anthropology as minor in school w/ several classes on human ecology & energy.

  12. #42
    NBA Legend Jasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin farm
    Posts
    18,764

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE View Post
    I believe what you are saying is true, green house gases are bad for the earth. Humans existence is bad for the earth. We consume and destroy. That isnít going to change. Pumping trillions of dollars into fighting climate change is futile.. Human existence will likely end one day. Iím fine with that. Iím apathetic towards human existence I guess.. This is all going to end one day. Itís inevitable. You and I have no control over it.

    You are better versed in climate change than I am. I donít really care about it. I donít control the shipping containers, airplanes or China. My carbon footprint is minimal. Just like with the covid pandemic. Iím not going to live in fear. I just want to enjoy my time on this big rock. If that makes me ignorant or selfish I do not care.
    maybe the rest of the human race is not.

    I consider myself a conservationist.

  13. #43
    NBA Legend Jasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin farm
    Posts
    18,764

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE View Post
    And yet despite the increase of CO2 and greenhouse gases we are still living in one of the earths coldest time periods.
    it would be great if you had watched the video. ..

  14. #44
    I Insist JohnnySic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,754

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)


  15. #45
    TX via OR KNOW1EDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    'murica
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: climate change and Health issues (Jonathan Patz MD)

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Yes. Although I'm not out there in environmental protests and stuff.

    I also used to do volunteer work for an environmental organization and did it for a few years (no pay). I studied reports by IPCC and UNEP, also microplastics & heavy metals. That was a few years ago anyways. Also studied anthropology as minor in school w/ several classes on human ecology & energy.
    So you are certainly more well-versed than I am.

    Do you think there is a reasonable solution to the problem? China followed by the United States are the biggest polluters. How do we get all countries on board to make a change? If just the US made changes would it even have any sort of significant impact?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •