Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default I just watched the Grinch from 50 years ago. We have made no progress.

They spend hundreds of millions of dollars remaking classics with computers and make a watered down for runtime, worse looking, worse sounding, fraudulent piece of shit.

Really reminded me of basketball. 30-40 years of “advances”, rule changes to supposedly make me enjoy it more, higher definition tvs 3 times the size, and games aren’t one speck more engaging or enjoyable.

You only feel they must because you weren’t around to see the previous product. I’m not talking about who is better or worse. I don’t care about that.

The watching experience…the product in front of us…is worse.

All the euro steps, 35 foot threes, and 140-132 scores are just a CGI Grinch. Glossy but missing the soul. The hard to define difference that makes a classic a classic.

You can steal the songs and animate it with computers but you get a worse product. These games are simply less compelling than these were:

Or these

It’s hard to explain why just like it’s hard to explain a 25 minute hand animated 50 year old cartoon being so much better than $100 million modern productions but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Im not saying there are no classic modern games but whatever it is…environment….physicality….rivalries being destroyed by player movement…I don’t know. The games were simply more interesting to watch. The players seemed more invested.

I feel like I’m watching modern animation looking for a needle in the haystack.

Every looney tunes was good. Even the racist ones. 70 years ago they are still near a 100% success rate watching them with modern eyes.

Things really don’t automatically get better with “advances”.

The product they show is inferior these days. I don’t care how old man yells at cloud it sounds. It is.

And cartoons are worse.

Some nostalgia is just true. You know the roadrunner and coyote is better than whatever kids cartoon is out now.

Even if you feel old to admit it.

NBA All-star

Default Re: I just watched the Grinch from 50 years ago. We have made no progress.

just because 7 colors were available, it doesn't mean using all 7 of it makes the best painting, because that's what it's like to make a point.

Banned

Default Re: I just watched the Grinch from 50 years ago. We have made no progress.

Agree. Humanity overall has regressed in the last 50 years, technological advances notwithstanding.

This bullshit cost 100 million to make and market:

Even adjusted for inflation the original cost 2 million and everyone here knows the songs 55 years later.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

Even adjusted for inflation the original cost 2 million and everyone here knows the songs 55 years later.
    the inflation adjusted here is based on material used. it does not account for reach. or you can say the inflation for the distribution channel wasn't included.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Agree. Humanity overall has regressed in the last 50 years, technological advances notwithstanding.
    60 years ago blacks were literally not allowed to go into certain establishments and were arrested for sitting in the front of the bus. Twenty years before that the Japanese were sent to internment camps. The world was engaged in two world wars within a 20 year span, and not that long before that slavery was considered a normal part of life.

This is why I find comments like these to be so laughably ignorant and naïve. Of course the world will always have problems, and people will always have flaws, but you compare where we are now to where we were even 50-60 years ago, it's honestly underappreciated how much progress we've made as a society over that timeframe. I will gladly take the problems of today over the prejudice and injustice that existed and was widely accepted not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    60 years ago blacks were literally not allowed to go into certain establishments and were arrested for sitting in the front of the bus. Twenty years before that the Japanese were sent to internment camps. The world was engaged in two world wars within a 20 year span, and not that long before that slavery was considered a normal part of life.

This is why I find comments like these to be so laughably ignorant and naïve. Of course the world will always have problems, and people will always have flaws, but you compare where we are now to where we were even 50-60 years ago, it's honestly underappreciated how much progress we've made as a society over that timeframe. I will gladly take the problems of today over the prejudice and injustice that existed and was widely accepted not that long ago.
    He's far right, he considers those things to be positive, you're wasting your time.

Kblaze you're my guy and all, but 140-132 scores were very common in the 80s. Sounding a little like Abe Simpson here.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Kblaze you're my guy and all, but 140-132 scores were very common in the 80s. Sounding a little like Abe Simpson here.

He has to make a thread every few months complaining about this era vs previous eras. It takes different forms but the general theme is the same.

At least he is changing it up a little this time, bringing up the Grinch of all things.

lol Failure Cvnt is the ultimate stereotypical, white privileged, alt right incel, Breitbart reading, self awareness lacking Trumptard that people laugh and shake their heads at in disbelief. He's going to probably reply to this even though he knows I only see the retarded shit he says when someone quotes him. His low IQ, pettiness and poor character traits are bottomless.

I didn’t say the games aren’t entertaining because of the scores I said the changes made that they admit were to make such things more likely did not increase entertainment value.

I am talking about the experience of watching the games. I specifically said I’m not talking about who is better. The games are played so differently it’s hard to evaluate so that isn’t the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    He has to make a thread every few months complaining about this era vs previous eras. It takes different forms but the general theme is the same.

At least he is changing it up a little this time, bringing up the Grinch of all things.
    It’s not this era vs previous eras. Plenty of previous eras were better than other previous eras. This era is better than some previous eras. Obviously the nba tv product of now vs 1966 is better. The cartoons are not.

Today might also be better than early 2000s before the talent caught up with the rapid expansion of the previous 10-15 years and the tv productions were full of stupid custom rap songs about “Tmac to tha rack” and other embarrassing nonsense.

With the exception of soft roughing penalties the nfl product is probably better to watch than it’s been. Baseball to me is equally boring with all the changes.

This isn’t across sports. I’m talking the basketball watching experience and cartoons. It isn’t nostalgia if I wasn’t even there. I don’t remember seeing the looney toons episodes premier but I’m confident Paw Patrol won’t be watched in 70 years even by the adults of that day. But 140 year old Bugs and Daffy will still be on tv and still be funny.

The new ones they make with much improved computer animation, near identical voices, similar concepts and music are truly…not as funny. Why? Couldn’t say. But I play them. Im often around kids and not knowing their shows by name I will often play boomerang or whatever Cartoon Network has on. I see the old. I see the new.

The old ones are better. My soon to be 6 year old cousin dies laughing at old episodes on youtube. I can’t pinpoint the difference. Maybe less distracting dialogue? They make them like a sitcom episode now and it isn’t wall to wall antics so maybe that’s it?

I can’t say for sure but I can say despite all production advantages these shows are worse to watch.

So is the digital grinch.

So is the nba.

We can argue why but it’s just what my eyes see.

Banned

He's far right, he considers those things to be positive, you're wasting your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    lol Failure Cvnt is the ultimate stereotypical, white privileged, alt right incel, Breitbart reading, self awareness lacking Trumptard that people laugh and shake their heads at in disbelief. He's going to probably reply to this even though he knows I only see the retarded shit he says when someone quotes him. His low IQ, pettiness and poor character traits are bottomless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    It’s not this era vs previous eras. Plenty of previous eras were better than other previous eras. This era is better than some previous eras. Obviously the nba tv product of now vs 1966 is better. The cartoons are not.

Today might also be better than early 2000s before the talent caught up with the rapid expansion of the previous 10-15 years and the tv productions were full of stupid custom rap songs about “Tmac to tha rack” and other embarrassing nonsense.

With the exception of soft roughing penalties the nfl product is probably better to watch than it’s been. Baseball to me is equally boring with all the changes.

This isn’t across sports. I’m talking the basketball watching experience and cartoons. It isn’t nostalgia if I wasn’t even there. I don’t remember seeing the looney toons episodes premier but I’m confident Paw Patrol won’t be watched in 70 years even by the adults of that day. But 140 year old Bugs and Daffy will still be on tv and still be funny.

The new ones they make with much improved computer animation, near identical voices, similar concepts and music are truly…not as funny. Why? Couldn’t say. But I play them. Im often around kids and not knowing their shows by name I will often play boomerang or whatever Cartoon Network has on. I see the old. I see the new.

The old ones are better. My soon to be 6 year old cousin dies laughing at old episodes on youtube. I can’t pinpoint the difference. Maybe less distracting dialogue? They make them like a sitcom episode now and it isn’t wall to wall antics so maybe that’s it?

I can’t say for sure but I can say despite all production advantages these shows are worse to watch.

So is the digital grinch.

So is the nba.

We can argue why but it’s just what my eyes see.
    Wow, two complete and utter idiots. These two represent the failure of the education system. Perfect examples of the regression of humanity.

Banned

You're talking about some isolated positive changes, and that's a myopic way to look at things.

Sure, civil rights have improved in the US, but there are numerous countries in the world where ethnic cleansing is going on today.

Yes, we sent Japanese to internment camps 80 years ago. And this very day, Russia is leveling entire cities, raping and slaughtering indiscriminately. Look at what China is doing to the Uighurs. And that's just two examples. There are countless others. Anyone who says humanity as a whole has made progress has a very myopic veiw of the world.

Good High School Starter

Lots of things going on here.

Nostalgia.

Comparing originals to replications.

As for basketball, the 80s/90s were the peak combination of physical play and skills. Look at those videos, the players looked like men. Today they look like boys into their 30s. Today's players are more skilled at most things, but they're a lot softer because of society and lesser players overall as a result and so is the product.

NBC knew how to present stories and drum up hype. ABC's presentation is awful. The NBA on TNT has been the largest improvement for the league over the last 30 years. You could also make an argument for widescreen format vs standard offering a worse experience in terms of engagement despite being able to see more at a much higher resolution. And not to be understated... perhaps the biggest notable difference, the audio experience back then was substantially better because today's tech does their best to suppress the crowd. Today's announcers are so clear that they even sometimes come to the absolute forefront of the experience.

Bring back hand checking, allow defensive paint camping, and experiment with shot type values. Reduce 3s to 2.5, make dunks worth 3. I don't know. Play around with it.
    Last edited by Wardell Curry; 11-27-2022 at 09:55 AM.