Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Who had the better NBA career, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd?

Who had the better NBA career, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd?

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: Who had the better NBA career, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd?

Kidd, Nash had two outstanding seasons when the league was the weakest it has been since the 1950's.

Nash has the highest individual decorations. But Kidd's career was far far better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I like both, but I'd give to to Nash

Nash is probably the best passer ever who is not named Magic, Kidd IMO is the best defensive PG ever, I feel Nash's 2 MVPs is a big reason why I would rank him ahead of Kidd. At his peak, he transformed offenses into all-time great level. I feel people today who just started watching basketball in the last 8 years or so don't realize how good Steve Nash was.

Look at the top 20 offenses of all time in terms of teams with the highest ORTG compared to league average... if that makes since. A handful of Nash's teams are on that list.

Kidd had accomplished better with his teams (3 finals and a ring) while nash had better individual accolades.

Local High School Star

Nash's MVP's were always shady to me 37 year old Jason Kidd beat peak Dwyane Wade for a ring

Depends how highly one view MVPs.

Basically 2 MVPs + 4 Conference Finals vs 1 Chip + 3 Finals + Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Nash's MVP's were always shady to me 37 year old Jason Kidd beat peak Dwyane Wade for a ring
    I think voters got it right in 2006. Once Amare went down the 3rd game of the season, many thought the Suns were going to be toast. Still won 54gms (only 8 less than the season prior) and the 3rd best record in the West.

Kidd gets no credit for his role player ring in 2011, at least to me.

This is Nash by a comfortable margin. In their primes, there is no question Nash was the better player. Kidd played with lots of talent over his career and throughout his prime never led even one good offense while Nash led not just good but historically great offenses. Defense doesn't matter much for PG to close this kind of offensive gap. Nash's combination of court vision (with Magic/Bird in the conversation) plus shooting ability (on the short list of best shooters ever) made him just impossible to deal with.

Local High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

I think CP3 is better than both but doesn’t have an MVP. Now what?

I think Stockton, Nash, Kidd, GP (actual best defensive PG ever), Westbrick, hell I’d personally throw Baron Davis and Mark Price on that same tier level. Very good to great scale.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Kidd gets no credit for his role player ring in 2011, at least to me.

This is Nash by a comfortable margin. In their primes, there is no question Nash was the better player. Kidd played with lots of talent over his career and throughout his prime never led even one good offense while Nash led not just good but historically great offenses. Defense doesn't matter much for PG to close this kind of offensive gap. Nash's combination of court vision (with Magic/Bird in the conversation) plus shooting ability (on the short list of best shooters ever) made him just impossible to deal with.
    Very asinine take. Kidd was very integral to that Mavs championship.

Nash was in an entirely different system than Kidd was. Not comparable. Nash was also a product of D'Antoni, it's not like he lead historical offenses on the Mavs with Dirk or on the Suns post Joe Johnson and others. He rotted away until he was traded to the Lakers.

Edit: Lol at acting like Nash didn't play with a plethora of talented players. I don't know why you tried to sneak that in. The need to downplay teammates has been taken too far.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    I think CP3 is better than both but doesn’t have an MVP. Now what?

I think Stockton, Nash, Kidd, GP (actual best defensive PG ever), Westbrick, hell I’d personally throw Baron Davis and Mark Price on that same tier level. Very good to great scale.
    CP3 is not better than both.

Mark Price is criminally underrated but he's not quite there. Neither was Baron Davis by any stretch of the imagination unless you like scoring combo guards for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    Very asinine take. Kidd was very integral to that Mavs championship.

Nash was in an entirely different system than Kidd was. Not comparable. Nash was also a product of D'Antoni, it's not like he lead historical offenses on the Mavs with Dirk or on the Suns post Joe Johnson and others. He rotted away until he was traded to the Lakers.
    He was still an all star level point guard. Which is what I think he was. Not an MVP caliber PG. Real opinion, the only MVP caliber point guards I’ve ever seen, have been Chris Paul, D-Rose and Stephen Curry. And before those two, Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas. Take over the game and carry a team level PGs.
    Last edited by WhiteKyrie; 12-01-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    He was still an all star level point guard. Which is what I think he was. Not an MVP caliber PG. Real opinion, the only MVP caliber point guards I’ve ever seen, I’ve been Chris Paul and Stephen Curry. And before those two, Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas.
    I don't know why you keep sneaking Chris Paul into the mix. He's not on that level.

Kidd Nash Zeke Magic Stockton Oscar are at the top

CP3 is a half a step below

CP3 is not better than both.

Mark Price is criminally underrated but he's not quite there. Neither was Baron Davis by any stretch of the imagination unless you like scoring combo guards for some reason.
    Mark Price is basically Nash before Nash. And I’m not saying that because both are Caucasian. Very similar play styles and skill sets.

And I wouldn’t under rate Baron Davis brother, I think you forgetting how dominant of a point guard he could be at times, even after his athleticism started to diminish.

He molly whopped prime MVP Dirk. And then out played prime / peak Deron Williams the very next round. 16 ppg and 7 apg. Should’ve been an all star in 05, 06, 07 and 08.

I don't know why you keep sneaking Chris Paul into the mix. He's not on that level.

Kidd Nash Zeke Magic Stockton Oscar are at the top

CP3 is a half a step below
    Hell no. He’s the best all-around point guard of the entire bunch, to be honest. Every bit as good of a defender as any of them, with the exception of Gary Payton. His 2008 season is a higher peak then either Nash or Kidd’s MVP seasons. He’s the 4th best PG ever.