Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question what all-time great (ATG) has been forgotten/slept on in recent years?

Am I wrong for thinking Tim Duncan?

National High School Star

Default Re: what all-time great (ATG) has been forgotten/slept on in recent years?

Yeah I don't know if Tim Duncan is going to have a proper legacy in 20 years...it's why I'm reticent to call him a top ten player. But this is the nature of time and being a player of historical significance David Robinson, George Gervin, and Tim Duncan all take hits because they played on a small market team.

Walt Frazier, Bob Pettit, and George Mikan are also historically disrespected by most people it's just the nature of fandom and hype.

Default Re: what all-time great (ATG) has been forgotten/slept on in recent years?

Recent years? He was always slept on. Granted, he's a low key guy and that doesn't sell well but it was more than that. He's unfortunate that his career began right as MJ retired. Because the league began hunting for the next Jordan and went into overdrive on marketing swingmen. Small market didn't help either.

A miracle how he wasn't a negative when covering space in his old age. Marc Gasol was a bit like that too. It's extremely rare for a big in today's game to survive defensively at that size at the age they were at.

Good High School Starter

I think all the former players that don't stick around the league (within a team as a GM or coach or in the media) get forgotten quite fast. For example, I haven't heard from John Stockton and Karl Malone for ages. However, Charles Barkley and Steve Nash are still in our minds because one has been a member of the media and the other one a head coach.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Even though most consider Duncan a top 10 player ever, he hasn't been discussed much since he retired. Alot of that has to do with his low key personality / smart, but boring play style.

Frazier is a good one. Rick Barry as well, one of the best all-around SFs ever and rarely gets discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post
    I think all the former players that don't stick around the league (within a team as a GM or coach or in the media) get forgotten quite fast. For example, I haven't heard from John Stockton and Karl Malone for ages. However, Charles Barkley and Steve Nash are still in our minds because one has been a member of the media and the other one a head coach.
    Funny because I feel like John Stockton and Reggie Miller are two players from that era that get contextualized and talked about a lot. Karl Malone on the other hand when he retired he was one of five guys with 30K points in 15 years three guys hit that mark

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Am I wrong for thinking Tim Duncan?
    Hakeem

College star

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Funny because I feel like John Stockton and Reggie Miller are two players from that era that get contextualized and talked about a lot. Karl Malone on the other hand when he retired he was one of five guys with 30K points in 15 years three guys hit that mark
    I think you're right about Malone. What Malone did in his career was actually quite impressive. He was 2nd on the all time scoring list until LeBron passed him, but still stands at 3rd all time.

In addition, he won 2 MVP awards in years that had both MJ and Duncan winning championships. One may argue that he didn't deserve it in 1997, but I do think that he did in 1999. Not to mention, he was 35.

Malone was leading his team to some pretty impressive years despite an old age, playing in the western conference, where the league had some stellar PFs.

'99 UTA: 37-13 (T-1st)
    '00 UTA: 55-27 (2nd)
    '01 UTA: 53-29 (4th)
    '02 UTA: 44-38 (8th)
    '03 UTA: 47-35 (7th)

And this was when the league had guys like Duncan, KG, Shaq, Webber, Dirk, Sheed, O'Neal, Brand, McDyess, B. Wallace. Malone was age 35-39 during these years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    I think you're right about Malone. What Malone did in his career was actually quite impressive. He was 2nd on the all time scoring list until LeBron passed him, but still stands at 3rd all time.

In addition, he won 2 MVP awards in years that had both MJ and Duncan winning championships. One may argue that he didn't deserve it in 1997, but I do think that he did in 1999. Not to mention, he was 35.

Malone was leading his team to some pretty impressive years despite an old age, playing in the western conference, where the league had some stellar PFs.

And this was when the league had guys like Duncan, KG, Shaq, Webber, Dirk, Sheed, O'Neal, Brand, McDyess, B. Wallace. Malone was age 35-39 during these years.
    and Stockton was there the whole time

Mentioning a top 10 player for this topic is a joke It would be the old school guys like Baylor, Barry, Reed, Hayes, Gervin etc who are legitimately never talked about.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Durant.

The media has been sleeping on him since going to GSW.

And recently pretending he's a cancer.

Dude tore his Achilles and was still a top 2 player after. This year he's having his most efficient year ever at age 34. Nobody talks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    and Stockton was there the whole time
    https://www.basketball-reference.com..._g_yearly.html

4 out 5 best APG seasons of all-time 8 out of 13 with only Magic coming close with 3.

Lebron is trying for every record but the records he's not breaking are Stocktons. When Stockton broke the 14 APG line he likely should have won MVP that year. I feel like Stockton's legacy is increasing as years go by while Karl's has decreased.

Yeezy
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post

karl malone and john stockton are basically products of each other. one would have been half the player without the other. they ran the pick and roll literally every single time. there was never any isolation for these guys

take away stockton and malone never wins a league mvp. so hes not underrated. hes overrated

they're like if nash and amare played together their whole lives

The serious answer? Lebron James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeezy View Post
    karl malone and john stockton are basically products of each other. one would have been half the player without the other. they ran the pick and roll literally every single time. there was never any isolation for these guys

take away stockton and malone never wins a league mvp. so hes not underrated. hes overrated

they're like if nash and amare played together their whole lives
    The junkyard bros of the 90s. A competition full of car mechanics, plumbers, janitors and grocery baggers.