Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stock Market 2023

CPI release premarket Thursday. No telling what will happen. Last time the market went up huge premarket after the release then sold off hard.

I doubt the market does much prior to the release.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    CPI release premarket Thursday. No telling what will happen. Last time the market went up huge premarket after the release then sold off hard.

I doubt the market does much prior to the release.
    Agreed. I think the CPI being lower might boost the market a little, but I'm honestly hoping for a higher CPI because a lot of these companies are still expensive. I've been buying mostly Index funds and ETFs, but would like to begin to get in on some companies. You eyeing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Agreed. I think the CPI being lower might boost the market a little, but I'm honestly hoping for a higher CPI because a lot of these companies are still expensive. I've been buying mostly Index funds and ETFs, but would like to begin to get in on some companies. You eyeing anything?
    Cpi will probably be lower. It has been going downhill for months now. I would be shocked if it suddenly began to rise again.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Cpi will probably be lower. It has been going downhill for months now. I would be shocked if it suddenly began to rise again.
    Same, but I can dream. lol. Would like the MAANG stocks to drop some more honestly. I currently hold none of them.

Yeah that's what happened last time. QQQ spiked all the way up to 298 after the release pre-market then sold off as soon as the market opened and was down to 280 a few days later. Wild swing

Model Y was the 6th best selling car in the US in 2022, up 32% yr over yr. All the rest of the top 10 declined in sales.

Model Y was the 6th best selling car in the US in 2022, up 32% yr over yr. All the rest of the top 10 declined in sales.

I would be curious where Model 3 is on overall ranking. Model Y is on the expensive end for most people.

I would also be curious if anyone tried to use the $7,500 tax credit and whether they were successful. The IRA is in effect now even though they expect further guidance in March.

College star

Which industrial stocks are you guys looking at other than CAT? I'm thinking long term, industrials is definitely a way to go.

I would be curious where Model 3 is on overall ranking. Model Y is on the expensive end for most people.

I would also be curious if anyone tried to use the $7,500 tax credit and whether they were successful. The IRA is in effect now even though they expect further guidance in March.
    The 5 seat model Y actually doesn't qualify. The IRS doesn't classify it as a SUV so it has a price cap of $55k like cars. SUVs have an $80k cap.

There are hybrids with little EV range that quailify for the credit as SUVs, some foreign.

We are hitting on the upper line of the downtrend for the ES (S&P futures). Ordinarily i would have looked to short earlier today but i'm reluctant with CPI tomorrow. We are set up to break out of the downtrend and test the open gap at 4221 which is what i was hoping for last month.

Just playing cautiously here. Very good chance of a big move in either direction tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Which industrial stocks are you guys looking at other than CAT? I'm thinking long term, industrials is definitely a way to go.

On the Market Call podcast they were talking about a possible double top for CAT and DE.

The 5 seat model Y actually doesn't qualify. The IRS doesn't classify it as a SUV so it has a price cap of $55k like cars. SUVs have an $80k cap.

There are hybrids with little EV range that quailify for the credit as SUVs, some foreign.
    Talking about Audi, bmw, and Volvo? They might require to be manufactured in USA factory and not overseas.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/03/which...al-tax-credit/

Still the hybrids should not get full $7,500 imo. They should be capped at $3,750 max. Hybrids are obviously not full electric. Partial electric should get partial tax credit.

Tesla could go up the next 2 weeks (depending on what happens tomorrow)

but the earnings report will hit after Jan 25th (Wednesday)... and the report shouldn't be good news... and then the Fed meets around the 2nd of February.

Once this has happened... I'll feel better about buying in for the long term.

Futures flat after CPI lol didn't see that coming. So looking at the indicators and trend it looks like we are overbought at the top band of the channel. Maybe we will still break out but i would guess we don't and go down. Still not comfortable making a big bet here.

If the market opens up i might try to short after an hour or so.
    Last edited by tontoz; 01-12-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Futures flat after CPI lol didn't see that coming. So looking at the indicators and trend it looks like we are overbought at the top band of the channel. Maybe we will still break out but i would guess we don't and go down. Still not comfortable making a big bet here.

If the market opens up i might try to short after an hour or so.

so later today... you like SQQQ?