Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone here know about bulking up?

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post

My pecs are non-existent. Those will take the most work.

And I'm 35. Why does it matter? I want to level up and my current girl and I are doing it together. In fact I've formulated a workout plan based on what some of my friends said. 8Ball's post I really appreciate as it was full of good info. Thanks bud.

This forum should probably have a fitness thread that is stickied though. Anyways I'll post some progress pics in a few months hopefully.
    You have good biceps. Lagging triceps and small shoulders and your top chest needs work.

Remember that hypertrophy training is not necessarily the same as strength training, even though you do get stronger by having larger muscles. You won't start quickly throwing up a 225 bench via training the way I told you to train, but you will be building the muscle size. Trust the process. It will be slow, you might get frustrated that some skinny 140lb peanut is benching more than you. But don't worry about it. That skinny peanut will stay a skinny peanut for life unless he drops his ego and starts doing hypertrophy training.

You can mix up your training cycle later on to specialize on strength and higher intensity. But I believe weight training beginners need to build the foundation of muscle + tendon strength first before trying to chase numbers. Pure muscle gains are slow and tendon strengthening is even slower. Build the muscle base.

I know you play basketball and that is good for legs, especially the sprinting part, but do not skip leg workouts. If you don't like training legs too much, then you can do it 1x a week.

But train your hamstrings. Do romanian deadlifts (the superstar hamstring mass builder) and leg curls 1x a week if you want to give balance. Hamstring strains come from imbalance between quads and hamstrings. Sprinting is predominant a quad / knee extension movement. The weaker your hamstrings, the less it can balance the pulling force from the quads during sprints, then pop.
    Last edited by 8Ball; 01-30-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    You have good biceps. Lagging triceps and small shoulders and your top chest needs work.

Remember that hypertrophy training is not necessarily the same as strength training, even though you do get stronger by having larger muscles. You won't start quickly throwing up a 225 bench via training the way I told you to train, but you will be building the muscle size. Trust the process. It will be slow, you might get frustrated that some skinny 140lb peanut is benching more than you. But don't worry about it. That skinny peanut will stay a skinny peanut for life unless he drops his ego and starts doing hypertrophy training.

You can mix up your training cycle later on to specialize on strength and higher intensity. But I believe weight training beginners need to build the foundation of muscle + tendon strength first before trying to chase numbers. Pure muscle gains are slow and tendon strengthening is even slower. Build the muscle base.

I know you play basketball and that is good for legs, especially the sprinting part, but do not skip leg workouts. If you don't like training legs too much, then you can do it 1x a week.

But train your hamstrings. Do romanian deadlifts (the superstar hamstring mass builder) and leg curls 1x a week if you want to give balance. Hamstring strains come from imbalance between quads and hamstrings. Sprinting is predominant a quad / knee extension movement. The weaker your hamstrings, the less it can balance the pulling force from the quads during sprints, then pop.
    Are you my middle eastern brother they call j$?

Honestly I could care less about how strong I am. Just concerning with how the body looks lol

I really have no excuses for the next few months. Work schedule is light about 5-6 hours per day so I've got plenty of time and energy to work out.

brother dankok you are on a good path.

i myself am also looking to bulk, get bigger.

just remember this... if you're not increasing weight or reps weekly or biweekly you're not gonna gain strength or mass. also, if you're not eating more than what you normally do, you're not going to grow or gain.

beginner gains are straightforward and as long as you're doing those two things, no matter how good or bad your lifting regimen is, you'll make progress.

also, 8ball - not trying to argue with you here, but beginners will gain more arm mass from press & pull compounds than they will with iso exercises like curls & kickbacks. in addition, in theory, if you were to do ONLY squats for say, six months, you'll see some arm gains just due to the high release of growth hormones that those heavy lifts release. curls & kickbacks can be utilized later on if necessary at all.
    Last edited by diamenz; 01-31-2023 at 03:23 PM.

last summer, definitey skinnier

slighty getting there

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    just remember this... if you're not increasing weight or reps weekly or biweekly you're not gonna gain strength or mass. also, if you're not eating more than what you normally do, you're not going to grow or gain.

beginner gains are straightforward and as long as you're doing those two things, no matter how good or bad your lifting regimen is, you'll make progress.

also, 8ball - not trying to argue with you here, but beginners will gain more arm mass from press & pull compounds than they will with iso exercises like curls & kickbacks. in addition, in theory, if you were to do ONLY squats for say, six months, you'll see some arm gains just due to the high release of growth hormones that those heavy lifts release. curls & kickbacks can be utilized later on if necessary at all.
    They will for like first few months and then they will stall.

If you want max arm size, start doing both.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Honestly I could care less about how strong I am. Just concerning with how the body looks lol

this is contradictory. while this may be true for more advanced lifters (think bodybuilding vs strongmen), again for beginners - strength = mass.

They will for like first few months and then they will stall.

If you want max arm size, start doing both.
    true.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

slighty getting there
    How much weight gain between first and last pick?

I'd say you gained about 10 lbs?

Just my opinion, but you have a good body type to throw muscles on. I'd say about 15-20 more lbs and you will be gucci.

How much you weigh now? I'm guessing 160lbs 6 ft?
    Last edited by 8Ball; 01-31-2023 at 06:39 PM.

How much weight gain between first and last pick?

I'd say you gained about 10 lbs?

Just my opinion, but you have a good body type to throw muscles on. I'd say about 15-20 more lbs and you will be gucci.

How much you weigh now? I'm guessing 160lbs 6 ft?

Im actuay a itte taer. Im about 186m which is ike 610?

According to a basic converter, im about 172-174 lbs now. I was like 3-4 kg lighter when the first picture was taken, I think.

I truly have the hardest time adding weight.

I guess I have to eat more and eat more and eat more.

A 6 foot 1 inch dude (186cm) would look great and lean at about 190lbs or 86 kgs. Bulky and yoked at 90kgs+

3-4kg in a year is absolutely fine. Don't try to add more than that per year or else you will just start "filling out" with added fat.
    Last edited by 8Ball; 01-31-2023 at 07:18 PM.

slighty getting there
    How ta are you?

A 6 foot 1 inch dude (186cm) would look great and lean at about 190lbs or 86 kgs. Bulky and yoked at 90kgs+

3-4kg in a year is absolutely fine. Don't try to add more than that per year or else you will just start "filling out" with added fat.
    I think a lot of my weight is on my legs and knees. I wanna get more towards the upper body and shoulder/neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    How ta are you?
    ike 6ft 1

I think a lot of my weight is on my legs and knees. I wanna get more towards the upper body and shoulder/neck.

ike 6ft 1