Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Default Re: Any Bible savants/studiers here? I have a Question

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    yes, it's refering to angels. and they do not have sex. the bible requires a lot of deduction from reading one book to another. for example, you may better understand this verse by reading a later book that refers to angels.

anyhow. why do we assume angels are male? because jesus was an angel. how do we arrive at the conclusion that angels produced offspring with humans? because they are capable of materializing into human flesh, at least in that time they were allowed to do so. God has since removed that ability. and it was fallen angels that did that, they fell to the trap that all flesh is tempted by.

Jude 1:6 - reffering to fallen angels that left their holy positions in the heavens to rape human women.

Job 1:6 - - reffering to angels as sons of God
    god raped human women

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    this is why i mean the bible requires of inference. angels are seen as asexual. sex and reproduction is something seen as a gift and responsibility for humans (some verse in genesis where God tells adam and eve to go reproduce and populate the earth).

nephilim are the offspring of the fallen angels, so i mean the nephilim raped women. it's a conclusion based on the account of them in the bible that refers to them as violent and bullies who took anything they wanted by force. Genesis 6 refers to the fallen angels who took daugthers of men as their wives.

and no, sodom and gmorra did not get destroyed bc of gay sex only, they were into some very perverted things...so much so that their neighboring cities were full of people praying to God about how bad they were...Genesis 18:20 also, read that verse i qouted above where the 2 angels visiting town are surrounded by a mob comprised of "from boy to old man"...indicating there were children there. wether the children were wanting to have sex with the angels or not is not clear, but the fact that they were part of that mob tells you just how bad that city was. sounds like a city where anyone may get raped.
    yea i refered to the bod, but not sure i can read rape into that.

i know about sodom and gomora, and i agree with a that. aso interesting catch about boy to man..

but where does it say a anges are men?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    yea i refered to the bod, but not sure i can read rape into that.

i know about sodom and gomora, and i agree with a that. aso interesting catch about boy to man..

but where does it say a anges are men?
    in those specific verses they are reffered to as males. and in all other instances where they appeared in human flesh, they did so as males. also, they are often described with masculine features. "sons of God" "

Decent college freshman

The word used is bani Elohim, which means offspring of god/the gods

ItÂ’s commonly believed that they were angels, but this is not accurateÂ… the word for angel is malach

The ancient Canaanites believed that the bani Elohim were the children of god … meaning they were gods as well … there seem to be different classes of the bani elohim in the ancient cananite religion but they were all gods

These passages go back to the ancient cananite polytheistic beliefs regarding the children of god Â…

The reason why you are having problems understanding this is because you donÂ’t realize that the people who wrote these passages were presenting the ancient polytheistic beliefs of their ancestors and neighbors Â… This is polytheism by modern definition

The religion of the Bible is nothing but a text version of the evolution of the religion of the area …. Which has its origin in the ancient Canaanite religion centered around their chief deity El … the bani Elohim are essentially the children of El by extension since he is the father of the gods of the Canaanites … the authors took from the other older religious traditions of the area including those of the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Iranians, Greeks … they took from those whom they came into contact with

The Israelite religion is from all of these sources. They are the descendants of the ancient Canaanites hence you find the traditions of their ancestors in their scripture

There was likely no official canon of the “Bible” until the Greek period … meaning that the religion was still being developed until that time period …

The children of El, the gods, took the human females as “wives” (force is implied in the actual text) and reproduced with them and their offspring were called the fallen ones

This is what the text is conveying without interpretation
    Last edited by HighFlyer23; 02-20-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Thread reminds me of East of Eden.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23 View Post
    The word used is bani Elohim, which means offspring of god/the gods

ItÂ’s commonly believed that they were angels, but this is not accurateÂ… the word for angel is malach

The ancient Canaanites believed that the bani Elohim were the children of god … meaning they were gods as well … there seem to be different classes of the bani elohim in the ancient cananite religion but they were all gods

These passages go back to the ancient cananite polytheistic beliefs regarding the children of god Â…

The reason why you are having problems understanding this is because you donÂ’t realize that the people who wrote these passages were presenting the ancient polytheistic beliefs of their ancestors and neighbors Â… This is polytheism by modern definition

The religion of the Bible is nothing but a text version of the evolution of the religion of the area …. Which has its origin in the ancient Canaanite religion centered around their chief deity El … the bani Elohim are essentially the children of El by extension since he is the father of the gods of the Canaanites … the authors took from the other older religious traditions of the area including those of the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Iranians, Greeks … they took from those whom they came into contact with

The Israelite religion is from all of these sources. They are the descendants of the ancient Canaanites hence you find the traditions of their ancestors in their scripture

There was likely no official canon of the “Bible” until the Greek period … meaning that the religion was still being developed until that time period …

The children of El, the gods, took the human females as “wives” (force is implied in the actual text) and reproduced with them and their offspring were called the fallen ones

This is what the text is conveying without interpretation

But where does it say they woud aso have to be gods? You assume chidren of gods are gods, right? Were aso "chidren of god" according to the bibe iirc..

and since are there so many gods? Is that what the ancient cananite poytheistic beiefs were or what? Doesnt seem right. Sounds ike greek mythology.

Decent college freshman

But where does it say they woud aso have to be gods? You assume chidren of gods are gods, right? Were aso "chidren of god" according to the bibe iirc..

and since are there so many gods? Is that what the ancient cananite poytheistic beiefs were or what? Doesnt seem right. Sounds ike greek mythology.

The Canaanites believed in many gods and were polytheists. They believed in the 70 sons of Athirat according to the Ugaritic texts. Athirat was the consort of El, so they believed in the 70 sons of El who were all gods. The Bible consistently takes from the cananite religion. Not surprising because the authors of the Bible are descendant and neighbors of Canaanites, and scholars today say that the Israelites of that time were Canaanites.

For example, Psalm 29 which is a Psalm in praise of YHWH is believed by scholars to have originally been a hymn to Ba’al Haddad, the Cananite storm god. The scholar John Day has shown many similarities between the Ugaritic texts description of Ba’al Haddad with the description of YHWH in Psalm29.

Habakkuk 3 is another text of the Bible that is believed to have been heavily influenced by Canaanite religious beliefs.

I don’t assume that, I know that. The words used are Bani Elohim which means sons of god. This tale about the Nephillim is likely also influenced by the ancient Mesopotamians who believed in these kinds of part god part human, beings. The Bible is a composite work that takes from many other traditions and beliefs of the ancient Near East. It makes some interesting mistakes when trying to discuss some of the characters, places, beliefs , stories, and histories of the ancient Near East. Nimrod and Cush being one of them.

One huge proof that shows this is that in the Dead Sea Scrolls mention the ancient Near Eastern legendary character Gilgamesh by name in 4Q530 2 ii and 4Q531 22 as one of the “giants”

Some scholars now believe that Greek mythology may have influenced it as well as it may have been composed as late as circa 270 BC during the Greek period.
    Last edited by HighFlyer23; 02-21-2023 at 10:16 AM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Thread reminds me of East of Eden.
    Eden may be from the Sumerian word Edinu which can be rendered as garden

Greek mythology also was influenced by the Ancient Near East

The Sumerians, Akkadians, and other ancient Mesopotamian civilizations are the progenitors of much of these traditions and beliefs and religions

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

You would have thought Evangelical Christian Poopsie would have chimed in.

But he's too busy not going to church.