Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Default Let's just be thankful, we had it good in the 90s and 2000s

Wow I just watched Damian Lillards interview. He talks bout how today's players are entitled and they don't play for the love of the game like back in the day.

Well, at least we were so lucky to grow up in such epic eras. The 90s had Jordan and so many stars such as Ewing, Shaq, Kidd, Robinson, Payton, Hakeem, and on and on. Even the 80s had so many stars, though I never got to watch live. The 2000s had so many great players such as Iverson, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Pierce, Nash, Dirk, and on and on and on. Just so many classic guys who played for the love of the game.

Now, these guys play basketball like it's social media. Just care about their stats and twitters. They are so entitled and don't care to learn about the craft of basketball.

National High School Star

Default Re: Let's just be thankful, we had it good in the 90s and 2000s

What makes Jordan, Ewing, Shaq, Kidd, Robinson, Payton, Hakeem, Iverson, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Pierce, Nash, and Dirk a better group of stars than those that have played in the last decade? Nostalgia?

Yup. Nba peaked with Jordan. And the golden age ended with mavericks win in 2011. After that it’s been a massive drop in IQ. Rule changes, ring chasing, social media…the game got stupid after 2011.

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Yup. Long live the mid 80s and early 2000s. Wonderful time to be an Nba fan

Banned

Agree. And I have a lot of respect for Lillard. He has his flaws, but he's a true competitor and never went after the easy road.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    What makes Jordan, Ewing, Shaq, Kidd, Robinson, Payton, Hakeem, Iverson, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Pierce, Nash, and Dirk a better group of stars than those that have played in the last decade? Nostalgia?
    People said the same thing about the 80s in how it was the golden era when the late 90s and early 00s hit.

It's going to be the same thing about this era I think. Give it a decade or two.

The reasons are different. Ppl complained about the late 90s and early 00s because of the lack of team ball the rise of iso. Ppl also slammed the stars being not as iconic as the 80s stars. Now we sort'a doing the same thing to the 20s ppl. How there was more heart in the 00s, and you have some ppl on forums coming out and say back then was real basketball with the grit and grind era. It's a cycle. Ppl who were raised in the 70s said the same thing about the 90s. They complained about the rules and the stars.

Give it time. Ppl going to be like, "We were so lucky in the 2010s and 2020s".

It's definitely preference, but the nba domestically peaked in the 90s in terms of popularity. It's more popular worldwide now, more popular than ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Yup. Nba peaked with Jordan. And the golden age ended with mavericks win in 2011. After that it’s been a massive drop in IQ. Rule changes, ring chasing, social media…the game got stupid after 2011.
    translation: my charcoaled hero became irrelevant in 2011 and duh nba has sux since.

Say what you want about walk on water, and i didnt read his post or anything but the thread title was spot on.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    No because they stayed with squads and not stacked the deck like Lebron started and still doesn't have more titles than Steph in less years.