Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Hate to break it to you but if you remember Kobe being good? You’re an “old head”.

It only recently occurred to me how long ago it was. It’s been 10 Years since Kobe was last a consistently good healthy player. When I first started posting here we talked about the Bulls and Pistons like the “old days” but it was only 11 years previous. Jordan had left the Bulls 3 years ago and was about to come back for the Wizards. He was an active player not some “back in the day” it just kinda felt that way. Magic Johnson retired 5-6 years before me and some of the current posters got here.

And now?

It’s been 11 years since Kobe played a playoff game. Playoff Kobe is as long ago as playoff Kareem was to the old ISH days.

how old do you really have to be to have an informed firsthand based opinion about prime Kobe? Do those of you in the 25-28 range remember this happening:

Kobes 55 vs old Jordan?

What would you have been? 9ish?

I remember telling Kobe fans back then that it would be funny when they realized how quickly they would be considered the nostalgic ones.

Its here isn’t it?

people who intimately remember prime Kobe are who young fans would now call nostalgic old heads aren’t they?

Do you remember when the takeover and ether hit the streets? You remember school or being at work when 911 happened? You watched the nostalgic, hating ass, retired current players on ESPN come into the league and make a name for themselves? If so…you’re “unc” now.

Fans who had an adult sized Kobe jersey in his prime…..

You feeling old yet?

Default Re: Hate to break it to you but if you remember Kobe being good? You’re an “old head”

That play was 22 years ago.

This play was 19 years before ISH

Default Re: Hate to break it to you but if you remember Kobe being good? You’re an “old head”

That shot of Jerry West over Oscar Robertson was about as far from ISH arguing about it as this is from right now:

Maybe its just me, but I only see todays fan talking about Kobe circa 2013. Or post achilles. They respect his assassins mentality and overall work ethic. They don't remember and quite frankly never saw Kobe...when he was Kobe.

You hear players and peers recalling Kobe at his best. From my pov, though, that stretch from 2005-2008, peak Bean was an absolute monster. And really had a chunk of NBA fans thinking he was better than Mike. Obviously I knew better but that was the impression Kobe left.

I also remember ISH debating the 'young and ignorant' Kobe fans. Time does fly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I only see todays fan talking about Kobe circa 2013. Or post achilles. They respect his assassins mentality and overall work ethic. They don't remember and quite frankly never saw Kobe...when he was Kobe.

You hear players and peers recalling Kobe at his best. From my pov, though, that stretch from 2005-2008, peak Bean was an absolute monster. And really had a chunk of NBA fans thinking he was better than Mike. Obviously I knew better but that was the impression Kobe left.

I also remember ISH debating the 'young and ignorant' Kobe fans. Time does fly.
    This place was littered with Kobe stans from about 2008-2013. You had stans everywhere, it's kind of weird to see all of them gone. Only one remaining is Kenny, but he always gets banned. ImKobe joined after Kobe tore his Achilles.

College superstar

And the same will happen to bran and the branstans

Im sure it already is. Somewhere tonight there will be a 21-year-old in a bar watching basketball and he was 6 when Lebron was in the finals for the first time. Millions of adult sports fans already don’t remember that era.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    This place was littered with Kobe stans from about 2008-2013. You had stans everywhere, it's kind of weird to see all of them gone. Only one remaining is Kenny, but he always gets banned. ImKobe joined after Kobe tore his Achilles.
    Elite was here with me in 2002. I’m not sure he wasn’t here when I got here. He wasn’t as bad as he is now though.

I was here a bit before that with a slightly different name I don’t remember. The original off court “lounge” I was the admin of was started November 02 and I was here before we started that. The first major argument I remember here was Duncan or Kidd for 02 mvp. But I still think elite was here first. I know Gobb was. It was a mess back then. At least 3 people at the time posted under my name between work and home before I made my second one. I actually had an alt too but I can’t remember the name.

Piss off, OP. You're making my mid-life crisis worse than it already is.

No way op. Im never getting old like the rest of you. I’m going to be young forever…forever(echo)…forever(echo) forever….
    Last edited by Im so nba'd out; 03-25-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

That shot of Jerry West over Oscar Robertson was about as far from ISH arguing about it as this is from right now:

It’s funny because I have lucid awareness of the shaq 3 peat lakers and still watch just as much if not more nba today and can make qualified comparisons. This is why oldhead wisdom is valuable to the discourse. We act like dr j is ancient history when there are plenty dudes still alive and kicking and still watching nba that have lucid memories of 70s, even 60s bball. Yet we dismiss them as ‘oldheads’. Obviously you can argue biases towards eras and such but that’s true for everyone and is not grounds to dismiss their opinions.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Unless you've really gone back and watched/studied a player's career in its entirety, then I just can't take you seriously if you weren't at least a teenager when said player's career was taking place.

So yeah, for one to have truly known and followed Kobe's career, they better at least be 35+ today (which I am). I can tell you what was happening on ISH when Kobe was going off on a random night in 2003. Does being 35+ make one an "old head" though? For a sport like the NBA where the majority of the fanbase (particularly on social media) skews younger, I guess it does.

@John8204