Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Baseball

NBA Superstar

Default Re: MLB Season Discussion Thread: 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

The little things make so much of an impact.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

It would not surprise me if the Mets went on a run. I actually like their chances of turning it around more than the Astros.

They are going to have a long lineup once they get Alvarez back. What they lack in one punch superstar they should make up for in everyone else but mcneil having an above average season at the plate. They finally pulled the plug on Baty.
    Senga maybe coming back. He is a legit frontline guy in this league.
    The bullpen has a lot of talent it just feels like an unfortunate coincidence that all of them went bad at the same time.
    They can win against good teams.

Jays are a cautionary tale. Their front office outsmarted themselves because they overvalued defense at the cost of Teo and Gurriel. Even if they signed Ohtani what difference was that going to make? They made no serious attempt at bringing Chapman back.

I realize I am probably talking to myself at this point like xiao in the Jazz forum

NBA Superstar

I'll join on the random thoughts

Other than a few years here and there when they happen to luck into overwhelming young talent, the Rockies are destined to always be a bad team. And unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it. It's the altitude/ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I'll join on the random thoughts

Other than a few years here and there when they happen to luck into overwhelming young talent, the Rockies are destined to always be a bad team. And unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it. It's the altitude/ballpark.
    Yeah. Every other team can empty out their bullpen and let tomorrow's starter wear it once... sometimes twice a week. The Rockies go through a rough homestand and their pitching staff is going to be torched for the following week.

Few thoughts at the halfway point:

I did not see the Cardinals coming.

Dodgers are vulnerable... but the NL west is awful this year

Braves need bats.

Buxton has been red hot for a month and change. He is putting it all on display. Bat, Glove, and baserunning. He could have been an all timer. Have to feel good for the guy. He has been unlucky.

Ron Washington is the only bright spot about the Angels season. I really hope he is given the time it will take to turn this around because he is the right manager.

Yeah. Every other team can empty out their bullpen and let tomorrow's starter wear it once... sometimes twice a week. The Rockies go through a rough homestand and their pitching staff is going to be torched for the following week.

Braves need bats.

Buxton has been red hot for a month and change. He is putting it all on display. Bat, Glove, and baserunning. He could have been an all timer. Have to feel good for the guy. He has been unlucky.

Ron Washington is the only bright spot about the Angels season. I really hope he is given the time it will take to turn this around because he is the right manager.

NBA Superstar

Braves need bats.

It's not just that, but free agent pitchers are not ever going to want to go/stay there. Could be the difference between tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars on their next contract.

Hitters aren't going to want to go/stay their either because while the overall numbers might look pretty, teams are very well aware of the Coors effect at this point and the home/road splits will suffer because they're used to pitches doing certain things at home and are less equipped on the road.

It's not just that, but free agent pitchers are not ever going to want to go/stay there. Could be the difference between tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars on their next contract.

Hitters aren't going to want to go/stay their either because while the overall numbers might look pretty, teams are very well aware of the Coors effect at this point and the home/road splits will suffer because they're used to pitches doing certain things at home and are less equipped on the road.
    I agree with both your points just not as strongly.

The stats we have available to us as fans do not tell the whole story. Teams have their own proprietary stats. Talent will shine through home/road splits... at worst a 100m dollar talent will have that contract delayed by a year.

NBA Superstar

I agree with both your points just not as strongly.

The stats we have available to us as fans do not tell the whole story. Teams have their own proprietary stats. Talent will shine through home/road splits... at worst a 100m dollar talent will have that contract delayed by a year.
    I think the main thing then is that no free agent will ever want to go there. Obviously not being a huge market works against them as well, but I think it’s just really difficult to assess talent there. There’s a true environmental disadvantage that is very real.

On a side note, Truist park in Atlanta is the 3rd highest in elevation of any stadium in baseball. Kind of wild to think about but looking through everything it makes sense. Phoenix is second and both are far behind Denver.

I think the main thing then is that no free agent will ever want to go there. Obviously not being a huge market works against them as well, but I think it’s just really difficult to assess talent there. There’s a true environmental disadvantage that is very real.

On a side note, Truist park in Atlanta is the 3rd highest in elevation of any stadium in baseball. Kind of wild to think about but looking through everything it makes sense. Phoenix is second and both are far behind Denver.
    I just do not see that as a problem unique to Colorado. A poorly run club anywhere is going to have trouble attracting free agents. The Rockies are bottom third in revenue... they cannot make big money mistakes like the Desmond and Bryant deals when they do spend.

i hate my life

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    i hate my life
    Considering activities you spent here, no shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    Considering activities you spent here, no shit.
    Do you even know what a baseball is??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    i hate my life
    McDonald's closed today?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    McDonald's closed today?
    Nah, you’re still breathing.