Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Default Re: MLB Season Discussion Thread: 2023

40 dingers for Acuña. While I still think Mookie is more valuable on a per game basis, he's gonna have to catch fire again to get the MVP now. 40/70 is crazy

Bottom of the 2nd @ Miami and the Brewers lead 12-0 on 24 pitches faced.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/game/_/gameId/401473321

Imagine getting destroyed by the godawful Brewers offense

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    40 dingers for Acuña. While I still think Mookie is more valuable on a per game basis, he's gonna have to catch fire again to get the MVP now. 40/70 is crazy
    Nah it’s over. Acuna could sit the rest of the season and it wouldn’t matter what Mookie did.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Nah it’s over. Acuna could sit the rest of the season and it wouldn’t matter what Mookie did.
    Yeah because voters are idiots. They decided Acuna won in May

NBA Superstar

Well..no. Mookie had actually turned it around and was probably the favorite before the Braves/Dodgers series over Labor Day. Then Acuna showed out there and hasn’t really stopped while Mookie has cooled off.

To suggest that if the vote were to happen right now that the voters giving it to Acuna are idiots is pretty wild. Acuna has a 116 MPh dinger, a 110 double, and has scored 2 runs (still the 5th inning). Unless Mookie goes absolutely off tonight they’ll be within maybe 0.2 WAR, which is negligible. And with Acuna leading every offensive category…it’s a no brainer

Especially if you look at stat cast. Acuna is dominating in that area accounting for wOBA and expected slugging.

Why do you care so much about exit velocity. A hit is a hit. Acuna has played like 8 more games than Mookie, he better be close in WAR. Mookie still has an excellent case no matter how much you want to deny it

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

You have the worst takes in the world. Or you deliberately say stupid shit just to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    You have the worst takes in the world. Or you deliberately say stupid shit just to stir the pot.
    You just sob about my takes because you are butthurt over all the times I've embarrassed you, you've never said an insightful thing on any subject.

NBA Superstar

Why do you care so much about exit velocity. A hit is a hit. Acuna has played like 8 more games than Mookie, he better be close in WAR. Mookie still has an excellent case no matter how much you want to deny it
    I care about it because it eliminates a luck factor that can be involved. Trust me if you’ve ever played baseball you know when you’re hammering the ball but things just aren’t falling. And vice versa.

Yes the result is the same in an isolated incident but for example if player A consistently hits the ball harder than player B but they have the same average then it’s likely player B has had some good fortune. It doesn’t matter in the game but when talking about how good someone is it certainly does. Same reason why FIP matter for pitchers. Not the end-all-be-all but if everything else is similar then you can look to it.

You just sob about my takes because you are butthurt over all the times I've embarrassed you, you've never said an insightful thing on any subject.
    Uh huh.

Voters making up their mind on Acuña when just a few weeks ago the betting favorite was Mookie.

You obviously dislike the Braves and that's why it pains you to come to terms with Acuña surpassing everyone now as the favorite.

But don't come on here and say stupid shit and pretend you know baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I care about it because it eliminates a kick factor that can be involved.

Yes the result is the same in an isolated incident but for example if player A consistently hits the ball harder than player B but they have the same average then it’s likely player B has had some good fortune. It doesn’t matter in the game but when talking about how good someone is it certainly does. Same reason why FIP matter for pitchers. Not the end-all-be-all but if everything else is similar then you can look to it.
    You're using those stats wrong. They should be used mainly as predictors of future success or lack thereof, not as an analysis of how good anyone is playing. Vladimir Guerrero is factually having a mediocre season, no matter how hard he hits the ball. When we are discussing seasonal awards, I value what actually happened not what "should have" happened. This is why Strider has no real case for Cy Young based on what actually happened.

Also you need to apply context to stats. Albert Pujols hit the ball hard most of his career, but was only an elite hitter for 10-11 full seasons (12 if we're generous). Hitting the ball hard didn't help him much when he was the slowest player in the league and hit a ton of ground balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Uh huh.

Voters making up their mind on Acuña when just a few weeks ago the betting favorite was Mookie.

You obviously dislike the Braves and that's why it pains you to come to terms with Acuña surpassing everyone now as the favorite.

But don't come on here and say stupid shit and pretend you know baseball.
    I'm pretty confident I know more about every subject than you besides food, where you definitely have the edge.

I'm pretty confident I know more about every subject than you besides food, where you definitely have the edge.
    If you have to say that, then you're full of shit. You're just an angry little ****er that picks fights with everyone on this forum. If someone has an opinion on something, you try to contradict them. You go out of your way to ruffle up feathers from the safe confines of your parent's basement.

NBA Superstar

You're using those stats wrong. They should be used mainly as predictors of future success or lack thereof, not as an analysis of how good anyone is playing. Vladimir Guerrero is factually having a mediocre season, no matter how hard he hits the ball. When we are discussing seasonal awards, I value what actually happened not what "should have" happened. This is why Strider has no real case for Cy Young based on what actually happened.

Also you need to apply context to stats. Albert Pujols hit the ball hard most of his career, but was only an elite hitter for 10-11 full seasons (12 if we're generous). Hitting the ball hard didn't help him much when he was the slowest player in the league and hit a ton of ground balls.
    No..no I’m not. You said it yourself that they are made for future success. But the predictive nature of them isn’t confined to 50, 100, or 162 games. It’s just a general note to be made on what someone’s performance is.

Great players play multiple thousand games and sometimes 150 doesn’t indicate everything unless you look at other factors (I.e exit velocity or BABIP or FIP for a pitcher).

Even though the season is over, is one players predictive numbers are outmatched then if everything else is equal you can point to that and say that maybe he had a little less luck.

If someone consistently outplays or underplays their advanced metrics then that’s a conversation. But that isn’t the case here.