Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Default Re: MLB Season Discussion Thread: 2023

Jacob deGrom to have Tommy John surgery.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-john-surgery

NBA Superstar

Back to back big boy wins by the Braves. Been frustrated the last month or so because we've seemed to hit poorly with RISP and not really put pressure on once we're down, on top of bullpen issues. The May schedule was super rough but still.

Nice to see us be down 3+ runs and come back twice in a row. After this Mets series we have a very easy June. Could see us going on a huge run here.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Back to back big boy wins by the Braves. Been frustrated the last month or so because we've seemed to hit poorly with RISP and not really put pressure on once we're down, on top of bullpen issues. The May schedule was super rough but still.

Nice to see us be down 3+ runs and come back twice in a row. After this Mets series we have a very easy June. Could see us going on a huge run here.

Sad to see Soroka being sent down, but he was nowhere near ready for Big League competition. Not sure if you keep up with the Farm System as much as I do, but ASS (lol) AJ-Smith-Shawver is the real deal to me. So he'll be starting a game this weekend. So for right now, we have a Starting Rotation of:

Strider
    Morton
    Elder
    Shuster
    Smith-Shawver

With Soroka not being ready to pitch at this level yet, and with Fried and Wright on the 60-Day IL now, I firmly believe AA with trade for another frontline starter by the trade deadline. I doubt he'll have the assets for a guy like Cease, but I can see it either being Lance Lynn or Giolito unless there's another starter out there that won't cost as much as much. I'll tell you what, I was impressed with Blackburn out in Oakland cause he shut our asses down the other day. So weird to just keep pillaging the Oakland A's for talent.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Sad to see Soroka being sent down, but he was nowhere near ready for Big League competition. Not sure if you keep up with the Farm System as much as I do, but ASS (lol) AJ-Smith-Shawver is the real deal to me. So he'll be starting a game this weekend. So for right now, we have a Starting Rotation of:

Strider
    Morton
    Elder
    Shuster
    Smith-Shawver

With Soroka not being ready to pitch at this level yet, and with Fried and Wright on the 60-Day IL now, I firmly believe AA with trade for another frontline starter by the trade deadline. I doubt he'll have the assets for a guy like Cease, but I can see it either being Lance Lynn or Giolito unless there's another starter out there that won't cost as much as much. I'll tell you what, I was impressed with Blackburn out in Oakland cause he shut our asses down the other day. So weird to just keep pillaging the Oakland A's for talent.
    Yea Sorokas command wasn’t there at all. Which is weird because it’s the opposite of how he used to be. I believe he’ll get it back but it’s going to take some time, maybe even the rest of the year honestly.

I follow the names and didn’t know much about ASS before he came up, but damn he looks good. Incredible looking athlete within command over 3 pitches already? I heard he didn’t start seriously pitching until he was a junior in high school…which was like 4 years ago lol. Love it. If he keeps progressing he looks like a legit stud. Seems like the type of guy who’s going to be good at whatever he does.

And as for the trades, I’m not so sure it’ll be anything significant. After all we WILL be getting Fried and Wright back right around the AS break barring setbacks. I don’t see him giving up anything real if we’re going to have guys step in and get the job done anyway while they’re gone. That’s the perk of having an incredibly built and deep team. We don’t really need to do shit like that. Will we bring someone in? Sure but it’ll be a rental and for pennies kind of like Soler and Duvall.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    Jacob deGrom to have Tommy John surgery.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-john-surgery
    Sucks to see but makes sense. I think he’s lost like 5-6 mph on his fastball towards his last few starts.

You'll love this Shawk: https://twitter.com/GASportsNow/stat...54416428244992

I wouldn't watch this if I was a Mets fan

NBA Superstar

Holy shit he's so unlikeable. I know Acuna gets a lot of shit for being a hotdog but he NEVER directs at the other team or pitcher.

"Throw it again!" What a *****. Yea...I'm sure he'd like to throw you a hanger again that he completely missed on. Fvcking idiot.

NBA Superstar

4 straight while trailing by 3 or more runs at some point during the game. Big boy shit.

Pumped to see ASS go tonight.

Heaven forbid someone talks shit. He's likeable, just not for braves fans

And now he's out for 3-4 weeks, thanks for the injury.

Btw the Mets bullpen is trash but so was their starting pitching giving up all them leads. I wouldn't celebrate too much, the Mets suck

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Heaven forbid someone talks shit. He's likeable, just not for braves fans

And now he's out for 3-4 weeks, thanks for the injury.

Btw the Mets bullpen is trash but so was their starting pitching giving up all them leads. I wouldn't celebrate too much, the Mets suck
    Mehhhh. The head bobbing and shit during the derby’s were annoying too. He reminds me of someone who was small at 12 and grew but still holds onto that small man complex. Also seems like a nerd.

Talking shit in baseball is a different animal than other sports. As a hitter especially you’re pretty much destined to fail most of the time so you look like a fool when things do happen to work out and you act tough. I mean…who on the Braves does that? Acuna and Ozuna will pimp home runs but it’s always for themselves and their boys with a celebratory tone because hitting is fvcking hard.

Anyway…taste that broom

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Mehhhh. The head bobbing and shit during the derby’s were annoying too. He reminds me of someone who was small at 12 and grew but still holds onto that small man complex. Also seems like a nerd.

Talking shit in baseball is a different animal than other sports. As a hitter especially you’re pretty much destined to fail most of the time so you look like a fool when things do happen to work out and you act tough. I mean…who on the Braves does that? Acuna and Ozuna will pimp home runs but it’s always for themselves and their boys with a celebratory tone because hitting is fvcking hard.

Anyway…taste that broom
    He is definitely a nerd but that's still likeable. Imagine hating a nerd as if it's still the age of back to the future. Baseball players have no personality, which is why it's a dying sport. So when a player comes along that's pretty good, we wanna tear them down. The average person doesn't know what Mike trout looks like. Aaron Judge has a boring personality. I suppose you like that and appreciate that.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    He is definitely a nerd but that's still likeable. Imagine hating a nerd as if it's still the age of back to the future. Baseball players have no personality, which is why it's a dying sport. So when a player comes along that's pretty good, we wanna tear them down. The average person doesn't know what Mike trout looks like. Aaron Judge has a boring personality. I suppose you like that and appreciate that.
    Nah see you’re not hearing what I’m saying. There’s a difference between doing what guys like Acuna and Tatis do and what Alonso did. The previous two guys are certainly not boring and guys like that along with rule changes are a big reason why baseball numbers are on an uptick the last couple years.

Talking shit to Bryce Elder directly who I’m certain didn’t do anything to show anyone up is tacky. I don’t necessarily mind it but you better back it up. Alonso seats dingers but provides nothing else. I don’t think he’s earned it to do that.

The Sox and Yankees used to be a nice bitter rivalry. Now the fans of each team just want to outdo the other one, when talking about who's team sucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    The Sox and Yankees used to be a nice bitter rivalry. Now the fans of each team just want to outdo the other one, when talking about who's team sucks more.
    I think that rivalry is dead. Watching those two teams doesn't have the same drawing power as it did 15-20 years ago. None of their respective star players can stay healthy enough to even be around when both teams play one another.

Honestly, I can't think of a current rivalry at the moment that has drawing power.