NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default NBA, NBPA agree on new 7-year agreement. Deal includes In-Season Tournament

Deal includes In-Season Tournament, 65-game minimum for league awards such as MVP, new limitations on highest spending teams and expanded opportunities for trades and free agency for mid and smaller team payrolls, sources tell ESPN.

Not an April Fools joke.

Default Re: NBA, NBPA agree on new 7-year agreement. Deal includes In-Season Tournament

Was hoping for a Ben Simmons clause on forcing trades with 3-4 years left on contract.

Disappointing.

Default Re: NBA, NBPA agree on new 7-year agreement. Deal includes In-Season Tournament

How are you gonna put a minimum on an MVP award?

Makes no sense.

What if someone averages 60 but plays 64 games...

hes not the MVP?

Stupid.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Was hoping for a Ben Simmons clause on forcing trades with 3-4 years left on contract.

Disappointing.
    Not sure how you ban it. If you give commissioner the power to fire example ban a guy from the NBA for wanting to be traded there is a lot of potential for abuse. A player can just go out there and play badly until he's traded like Harden has. Then what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Not sure how you ban it. If you give commissioner the power to fire example ban a guy from the NBA for wanting to be traded there is a lot of potential for abuse. A player can just go out there and play badly until he's traded like Harden has. Then what do you do?
    Make it monetarily punitive in a way where if you force a trade with more than 1 year left in your contract, part of the remaining years of the contract gets discounted.

What Durant / Ben Simmons did is just not good for the league. Both had 3-4 years left!

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Make it monetarily punitive in a way where if you force a trade with more than 1 year left in your contract, part of the remaining years of the contract gets discounted.

What Durant / Ben Simmons did is just not good for the league. Both had 3-4 years left!
    If a player can rig it so that a team trades him to the exact team he wants to go to with certain players on that team kept out of the deal why couldn't they rig it so that the team trading them doesn't enforce that penalty?

I am not saying that what these guys are doing isn't bad but it's hard to stop if players going forward exert the same pressures to trade them just now also insist that it not be evident that the deal was forced. In order for a rule to be good it had to be clearly worded and easy to enforce. Your rule would be hard to enforce.

It may be a rare, extreme case. But what if only second options are able to play over 65 games for a season while many superstars only got to play for 60 games at best? The condition doesn't make any sense at all lmao.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    How are you gonna put a minimum on an MVP award?

Makes no sense.

What if someone averages 60 but plays 64 games...

hes not the MVP?

Stupid.
    I don't love it, but they kind of had to give some guidelines about how to value missed games. 65 is too high imo...I'd rather them set it a 60...then I wouldn't care all that much as I think it would never really be an issue.

Banned

I like the 65-game minimum for awards. I sympathize with players that get injured, but the load management crap is disgraceful. They had to do something to disincentivize it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    I like the 65-game minimum for awards. I sympathize with players that get injured, but the load management crap is disgraceful. They had to do something to disincentivize it.
    no sympathy for guys that are always hurt

College star

Only 2 players have won MVP while playing less than 65 games (Cousy and Walton). Walton only played 58 and Cousy 64. So it hasn't really happened in the last 45 years. I feel like it's one of those rules that won't really matter in the grand scheme of things.