Local High School Star

Default Best stocks and ETFs to buy and hold for 20 years

What are the best stocks and ETFs to buy and hold for 20 years?

Thinking: An S&P index fund, a Nasdaq index fund and a Dow index fund.

A few growth ETFS.
    A few value ETFS.
    And a few dividend ETFS.

And some blue chip stocks and not just in tech.

And a tech ETF aside from Nasdaq maybe.

Right or wrong?

And what's missing?

Maybe forget all this and just buy S&P?

What say you.

Default Re: Best stocks and ETFs to buy and hold for 20 years

I made a thread a little bit down the page - Financial Independence Retire Early, and talked a bit about this.

I have a decent position in some - IVV (S&P500 ETF), VAS (An Australian one), and one centred around high dividend yield. Have just over $6k a year getting reinvested based off this, and I try to throw in $5k every quarter if I can.

I'm glad I stayed away from the tech stuff. The PV on some of that stuff was ridiculous during this last bull cycle.

VOO and VTI

VOO tracks the S&P 500, while VTI tracks the total stock market index of over 4,000 companies.

In the last 30 years, VOO has had an average annual return of 9.66% and currently has a dividend yield of 1.61%. If you put in $10,000 dollars to start off with, and throw in $200 every month, your total value will be $200,000 after 20 years assuming if VOO continues to give you an average annual return of 9.66%.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A. View Post
    VOO and VTI

VOO tracks the S&P 500, while VTI tracks the total stock market index of over 4,000 companies.

In the last 30 years, VOO has had an average annual return of 9.66% and currently has a dividend yield of 1.61%. If you put in $10,000 dollars to start off with, and throw in $200 every month, your total value will be $200,000 after 20 years assuming if VOO continues to give you an average annual return of 9.66%.

The last 15 or so years are a bit of a special case. Don't believe we will see the returns we have over the next 10-15. Or at least not directly from the stock market. Think there will be an alternative method by which money is made. But - holding ETFs and getting 5-7% is still a great play - or at least those are my expectations.

One thing I'll mention is - I generally look at the management fee for these. They all perform pretty similarly - just check the management fee.

Not sure how tax works for capital gains in the USA, but while I'm young - I generally look for growth over dividends (though both are nice to have) - as dividends are just another thing you get taxed on. Trying to lower your taxable applicable movements is a plus.