Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Klay Thompson vs. Carmelo Anthony

Tough to say because basketball is a team game and timing is everything.

I think Carmelo in Klay's shoes could have hypothetically done everything Klay did because he was a better athlete and probably would have fell in line with the W's culture.

From what I have seen, Carmelo could play some excellent defense if we wanted to, he had all the physical tools. That is the only advantage Klay really has individually.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Now those 2 on a team together. Watch out

College star

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    Prime Melo went to the WCF. Where has Klay lead any team to as the primary option
    Why does he need to be the 1st option? And Melo didn't go to the WCF alone. That was the year they had added Billups, who was a big part of that team's success.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare View Post
    Now those 2 on a team together. Watch out
    lottery

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Why does he need to be the 1st option? And Melo didn't go to the WCF alone. That was the year they had added Billups, who was a big part of that team's success.
    His team was deep and talented. I actually had them beating the Lakers but their weakness was execution. Regardless anyone trying to say Klay are talking about the idea of Klay and the hypothetical of a player that has never existed. Klay is a good 2nd/3rd option scorer and defender and he fits in with the Warriors system. But Melo is and always will be a franchise cornerstone.

Think it really makes you wonder more what would have happened if Melo was drafted onto Detroit and brought up in a culture of team first. It would have been a pretty similar path as Klay I think but would this have suited Melo better? Klay is essentially a rich mans RIP Hamilton and Melo probably would have been that plus a killer post up and cutting game. The only thing that would be hard to say is if Melo's ego would have been able to learn to play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    His team was deep and talented. I actually had them beating the Lakers but their weakness was execution. Regardless anyone trying to say Klay are talking about the idea of Klay and the hypothetical of a player that has never existed. Klay is a good 2nd/3rd option scorer and defender and he fits in with the Warriors system. But Melo is and always will be a franchise cornerstone.
    Franchise cornerstones have more than one deep playoff run in their career, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    Think it really makes you wonder more what would have happened if Melo was drafted onto Detroit and brought up in a culture of team first. It would have been a pretty similar path as Klay I think but would this have suited Melo better? Klay is essentially a rich mans RIP Hamilton and Melo probably would have been that plus a killer post up and cutting game. The only thing that would be hard to say is if Melo's ego would have been able to learn to play that way.
    my guess is he would have been crying about being a 6th man. Starter only!

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Melo might be the "best" player I think the least of. He couldn't contribute anything meaningful outside of scoring, which he did on average efficiency, and his teams basically did nothing his entire career. Melo still clearly ranks higher based on individual resume, he's a 10x All-Star, 6x All-NBA, won a scoring title, while Klay could only really fall back on team accomplishments.

Melo might technically be the better first option, but where is that gonna lead you, getting bounced in the first round year after year? I'd take Klay on my team all day over Melo, who I honestly don't even think would be a good fit as 2nd option/sidekick to a superstar teammate.

I would take guys considered a lot less accomplished individually like Middleton, Marion & Schrempf on my team over Melo.
    Well Marion was outright better, probably on both ends. So this isn't a crazy opinion.

Middleton is a tougher sell. But defense is very important. Carmelo being a bad defender, AND passer, makes him so much worse than people can imagine. Is it possible to be a good teammate while being completely ass at defense and passing? The most team oriented parts of the game?

I remember Nene Hilario, while he was on the Rockets, years removed from being a teammate of Melo saying he's seen that Melo could've been a good defender but never wanted to do it. Having teammates know you suck on purpose has to hurt chemistry and motivation. Especially when you're just chucking shots and stealing credit from guys like JR, Nene, Martin, Billups, and Andersen who are busting ass on both ends allowing the team to stay competitive deep into the playoffs.

But look, it actually does work off the court. You have grown men, who've spent years watching basketball committing to the opinion that Carmelo Anthony and LeBron would have the same impact on playoff in a year like 2009 no less. Mediocrity sells.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Klay one of the best SG ever. Carmelo in a long line of high scoring SF. Many who did it a lot better without as much hype
    A lot better high scoring SFs than Melo? I can think of max like 2 or 3. And my mind goes to Nique, LeBron and KD. So name them. And Melo was like a hybrid SF / PF tbh

Quote Originally Posted by 999Guy View Post
    Well Marion was outright better, probably on both ends. So this isn't a crazy opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    A lot better high scoring SFs than Melo? I can think of max like 2 or 3. So name them. And Melo was like a hybrid SF / PF tbh
    he became a 4 as the game changed and he got older and slower. His old coach A.D. was a lot better. Alex English was better. Bernard King was better. He's more on par with another highly overrated sf Dominique who was never as good as those guys either. More hype sure

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Melo is better but I would rather have Klay in my team

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Agreed. Klay for a long while was a fantastic defender. Doesn’t need the ball in his hands to score, as odd as that sounds. He just is an electric catch and shoot guy who can fill it up at a high volume. Low maintenance and not a diva. Seems like a great guy too. Perfect teammate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    This is a contradictory statement with all due respect. By definition the player you would rather have on your team is the better player. You can argue Melo is more talented, but talent alone doesn't make you better.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, just pointing that out. If that's how you really feel, then Klay is better.