Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Trae Young a high level NBA shooter?

Isn't this supposed to be his forte? I've been watching him and I don't think he's a high level shooter. He bricks a lot of his slightly open threes and then makes a difficult one.

Good High School Starter Chuckbe's Avatar

Default Re: Is Trae Young a high level NBA shooter?

Overrated shooter but no one is leaving him open on purpose.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He’s a weird case. Last I checked he’s the all time leader in percentage on 30+ footers narrowly beating out Dame and a mile ahead of Steph(who I assume craters his with heaves). Hes likely a high level floor spacer which is probably what he’s asked to do…I don’t know what to call him. He shoots a pretty average percentage for his career but his shot selection is wild. You compare him to guys taking open shots off others? Or just his assumed peers?

I rule the local playground

He's a streaky shooter like Harden but isn't half as good at isolating at top of key to take advantage of it when he catches fire.

His best aspect is his elite playmaking. His shooting became popular because he shoots from far like Steph and Dame, but it's too erratic to be in any discussion for best shooter

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Isn't this supposed to be his forte? I've been watching him and I don't think he's a high level shooter. He bricks a lot of his slightly open threes and then makes a difficult one.
    Trae is creating open looks for his teammates, but doesn't have anybody who creates easy looks for him. He doesn't shoot off screens or come off the horn, it's just not part of the Hawks offense. He has really struggled in Nate McMillians offense which relys on going ISO trying to exploit mismatches and shooting 2s, more than 3s. The entire team has struggled shooting 3s in Nate's offense, Bogi is probably the only player who has actions run for him to shoot wide open 3s on a consistent basis. Teams also don't leave Trae Young open, because he is so of a focal point of the Atlanta offense.

Local High School Star

I agree, he is not a sharp shoot at this point in his career, he is a super elite playmaker. To be fair Steph and Dame rarely run the offense, they primarily play off the ball and Trae Young has developed or is not able to showcase that part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    I agree, he is not a sharp shoot at this point in his career, he is a super elite playmaker. To be fair Steph and Dame rarely run the offense, they primarily play off the ball and Trae Young has developed or is not able to showcase that part of his game.
    He doesn't know how to run an offense all that well though When I said playmaking, I should have reiterated with passing. His passing is one of the best in the league.

https://www.pbpstats.com/wowy-combos...mmonGames=true

Team offense with Trae on

Team offense with Trae off

Previous season in the playoffs

Offense with Trae on

Offense with Trae off

That's legendary level horrible when he's supposed to you know.. run the offense.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    He doesn't know how to run an offense all that well though When I said playmaking, I should have reiterated with passing. His passing is one of the best in the league.

Team offense with Trae on

Team offense with Trae off

Previous season in the playoffs

Offense with Trae on

Offense with Trae off

That's legendary level horrible when he's supposed to you know.. run the offense.

I can tell you don't watch the games because Trae Young's impact on the offense and abilty to help the team score points is obvious. Post the on and off diferential for EVERY SEASON he has been with the Hawks, the on and off differential is huge in Trae's favor.
    Like I said Steph and Dame play shooting guard not point guard they are not asked to to the stuff Trae is doing. Who has the most assist in the league this year? Look up the top scoring combos in the league. Also compare Trae stats at 24 to Dame and Stephs stats at 24, and list thier playoff appearances based on age too.
    Last edited by insight; 04-22-2023 at 02:58 AM.

I can tell you don't watch the games because Trae Young's impact on the offense and abilty to help the team score points is obvious. Pull the on and off diferential for EVERY SEASON he has been in the league and post those stats as well.
    You really are deflecting because like I said Steph and Dame play shooting guard not point guard. Also who do you think has the better roster to work with?
    You are in denial lmao.. No player's offense craters like Trae's does. I thought his might be a little worse, but that's diabolical. If you are running the offense and it's -29 and -16 worse when you play, you do a horrible job. But if you want them for every season in the playoffs, sure.

Trae on

Trae off

This was 2 years ago when I told you then Trae is lucky to get there and he's not getting there any time soon, and you then also put some delusional nonsense spiel gassing him up. Would be fun to bring up those arguments because that was peak delusion over the dumb shit you were saying about him. Vs the Knicks and Philly, he did well. Teams like the Heat, Bucks, and especially Celtics is about as worse as it gets. Smart teams that can also be physical with Trae means that he will get bullied and make horrible plays. And he's done exactly that. The only way he can run an offense is if he can abuse a big on mismatches or teams with low IQ players/coaches.

Every time Trae will meet a smart team that can play defense in the playoffs, he's going to shrink and become Trash Young. A liability on the court where he's more of a negative than a positive. Outside of you and Hawk fans, nobody thinks this guy knows how to run an elite offense. It's got to be the only time in NBA history that a starting PG's offense craters as much as his did in 2022 when he's on the court vs off.

Local High School Star

You are in denial lmao.. No player's offense craters like Trae's does. I thought his might be a little worse, but that's diabolical. If you are running the offense and it's -29 and -16 worse when you play, you do a horrible job. But if you want them for every season in the playoffs, sure.

Trae on

Trae off

This was 2 years ago when I told you then Trae is lucky to get there and he's not getting there any time soon, and you then also put some delusional nonsense spiel gassing him up. Would be fun to bring up those arguments because that was peak delusion over the dumb shit you were saying about him. Vs the Knicks and Philly, he did well. Teams like the Heat, Bucks, and especially Celtics is about as worse as it gets. Smart teams that can also be physical with Trae means that he will get bullied and make horrible plays. And he's done exactly that. The only way he can run an offense is if he can abuse a big on mismatches or teams with low IQ players/coaches.

Every time Trae will meet a smart team that can play defense in the playoffs, he's going to shrink and become Trash Young. A liability on the court where he's more of a negative than a positive. Outside of you and Hawk fans, nobody thinks this guy knows how to run an elite offense. It's got to be the only time in NBA history that a starting PG's offense craters as much as his did in 2022 when he's on the court vs off.
    ]

Trae lead his team to the ECF at 22 without another all star on the roster. You don't see young players dominating the NBA consistently, most stars wtih championships take 8 plus years in the league to finally figure out how to consistently compete for championships. Micheal Jordan was dominating by the Detroit Pistons for several years for he eventually was able to figure out how to beat them. During that period people called Mike a ball hog who can't win because he doesn't know how to play team basketball.

Hiring Nate McMillian as the permanent coach and getting rid of most of thier elite 3 point shooters has more to do with Trae Youngs struggles than anything. The Hawks are still a young team they still need a coach who can continue to develop the talent on the roster and run a modern offense around Trae's strengths and connect with young players. Nate McMillian wasn't that guy every player on the Hawks regressed under his leadership.
    Ohh, didn't the Hawks beat the Heat in the play in game, and beat the Celtics last night.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    your right he is a high volume shooter , but it doesn't mean he is affective ..

]

Trae lead his team to the ECF at 22 without another all star on the roster. You don't see young players dominating the NBA consistently, most stars wtih championships take 8 plus years in the league to finally figure out how to consistently compete for championships. Micheal Jordan was dominating by the Detroit Pistons for several years for he eventually was able to figure out how to beat them. During that period people called Mike a ball hog who can't win because he doesn't know how to play team basketball.

Hiring Nate McMillian as the permanent coach and getting rid of most of thier elite 3 point shooters has more to do with Trae Youngs struggles than anything. The Hawks are still a young team they still need a coach who can continue to develop the talent on the roster and run a modern offense around Trae's strengths and connect with young players. Nate McMillian wasn't that guy every player on the Hawks regressed under his leadership.
    Ohh, didn't the Hawks beat the Heat in the play in game, and beat the Celtics last night.
    He's been through multiple coaches and has had the same issues. Why are you blaming Nate for this post season? Yes he did lead the team at 22 in the conference finals which is very impressive, he also did while the two best teams in the conference were playing one another. After his superhero game 1, he was abused for the rest of the series.

Any high IQ team would make Trae look like a terrible basketball player, and that's exactly what happened last postseason and what's happening so far in this one. You can't bullsh*t anybody with blaming coaches players etc when the same team runs a much better offense WITHOUT him. You're just delusional man, as much as some of the player stans on ish that it constantly attracts. Trae is the 3rd best player on a championship team due to his limitations.

Local High School Star

He's been through multiple coaches and has had the same issues. Why are you blaming Nate for this post season? Yes he did lead the team at 22 in the conference finals which is very impressive, he also did while the two best teams in the conference were playing one another. After his superhero game 1, he was abused for the rest of the series.

Any high IQ team would make Trae look like a terrible basketball player, and that's exactly what happened last postseason and what's happening so far in this one. You can't bullsh*t anybody with blaming coaches players etc when the same team runs a much better offense WITHOUT him. You're just delusional man, as much as some of the player stans on ish that it constantly attracts. Trae is the 3rd best player on a championship team due to his limitations.

Lloyd Pierce and Nate McMillian are the only coaches Trae has had and I don't know what you mean by the same issues becauses Lloyd Pierce was hired to tank and for player development. The only time Nate McMilliam was successful was when he was working with Lloyd Pierce's coaching staff and running his offense. Once Nate McMillian brought in his own coaches including his son, and implemented his offense the Hawks have struggled.
    Your whole arguement makes no sense because the Hawks were in position to upset the Bucks (eventual champions) until Trae Young was injured and unable to finish the series. You are creating your own narrative because you don't like the guy but the facts say otherwise.

Since you claim to understand the NBA and evaluate talent are you claiming Tatum would win a championship with the Hawks roster as it's currently contructed and Nate McMillian as the head coach? Why couldn't the Celtics win with Kyrie Tatum and Brown or Kemba do it, were they not Hi IQ players because Tatum struggled in the post season back then.
    Last edited by insight; 04-22-2023 at 11:04 AM.