Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Phil Jackson says the politics in the bubble put him off the nba.

Come fight about an 80 year old from Montana/North Dakota giving exactly the take you’d expect from that demographic. I’m sure he realizes he isn’t who the nba(or most athletic endeavors) caters to since he’s expected to be dead soon and I take no offense. I’m also sure some of you would like to argue about it….so you do that. I’m gonna find some ramen and hopefully not make it too spicy like I did last time. 2 spicy bombs is right. 3 is an adventure.

Default Re: Phil Jackson says the politics in the bubble put him off the nba.

ramen is nasty.

anyways, he's right. i don't want to see lgbtqueer ads being shoved in my face or how your c-19 restrictions are among the best out of all proffessional sports. no one actually cares about your pandering to democrats, not even democrats. it's cringe. just play basketball and leave that sh1t aside. the only political talk i will entertain is how every citizen should be aware that ATF and FBI should be abolished based on their direct actions that burned 80 adults women and children alive and went about their lives like they didn't just commit genocide.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The funny thing is that Jackson is fairly liberal. I agree with the point that they are turning off part of the country with the focus on political issues but the tensions with Floyd and Trump had the players riled up so the owners made a business decision to get the players to fully participate in the bubble. NBA is still making a ton of money so the negative impact isn't felt in a way that we can easily quantify (you can track raitings but that may not fully account for streams and the TV contract money is astronomical). So the NBA is going to stay woke.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Don't have to be an 80 year old redneck. We're all sick of how we've been treated by rich people and their puppet governments

I'm fine with social justice but the NBA def overdid it. I dunno how political it still is, that's just him being an old fart who doesn't want to stay up late. Doubt the NBA cares about that demographic as already been stated.

having "black lives matter" printed on the floor is absolutely absurd

The funny thing is that Jackson is fairly liberal. I agree with the point that they are turning off part of the country with the focus on political issues but the tensions with Floyd and Trump had the players riled up so the owners made a business decision to get the players to fully participate in the bubble. NBA is still making a ton of money so the negative impact isn't felt in a way that we can easily quantify (you can track raitings but that may not fully account for streams and the TV contract money is astronomical). So the NBA is going to stay woke.

Yea the nba is doing better than ever at the only thing they care about. Anyone thinking the nba cares more about ratings than revenue and team value is insane. And inflation definitely doesn’t account for the nba going from 2.5 billion in total to 10 billion and rising just in the ish era. There are 13 players in the league with contracts larger than the Nets were sold for…in 2010. Not 1995. 2010.

The nba needs exactly nothing from the Phil demographic and apparently little from the “Go woke go broke” crowd who claim they abandoned the league years ago. The owners have all double and tripled up and the players making all that noise will be making 300+ million on deals soon. Everyone’s fine.

Far as Waco….you can’t really kill 5 feds and expect a happy ending for your compound. Whole thing was a cluster**** but that…just isn’t likely to end well.

I remember when I visited a buddy in Brentwood once he told me that all the little boutique tennis shops and fancy juice bars etc were all owned by the wives of wealthy guys, bc the women wanted to “do business stuff too” with their time, so their rich husbands just bought them little stores to manage.

In a way it reminds me of the NBA. Do players know anything about business or politics? Most dont. But their value as amplifiers to certain communities is super important to those who do. So players get way more leeway than people at other jobs to rant and ramble about political things they dont understand.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 04-22-2023 at 04:59 PM.

I don’t think they do. You should step into a few southern break rooms at random jobs if you think political rantings are only allowed by athletes. In fact I’ve never heard an athlete openly say half the things I’ve heard from people in person in workplaces. They certainly have a bigger megaphone but the conversations going on in workplaces all over America would get most athletes in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I don’t think they do. You should step into a few southern break rooms at random jobs if you think political rantings are only allowed by athletes. In fact I’ve never heard an athlete openly say half the things I’ve heard from people in person in workplaces. They certainly have a bigger megaphone but the conversations going on in workplaces all over America would get most athletes in trouble.

Im talking about what is said publicly.

If youre a well paid professional, youre almost certainly not allowed to “tweet” the kinds of politically charged things a Jaylen Brown or Kyrie Irving can without losing your job.

I'm left as left can be. The american mainstream political spectrum wouldn't represent the policies I support, but he's right.

If I watch sports I want to watch sports. I'm not interested in any form of political agitation if I watch a game of basketball. Even if I share the views. What good does it do? You put some message for George Floyd on your court? Fine, but what if I don't want to think about George Floyd when I watch Nuggets vs Lakers?

If I want to think about that I'll open a newspaper. There's enough room for politics there. I actively avoid anything that in itself is apolitical, but for some reason wants to push an agenda.

Tell me something Jaylen Brown tweeted you don’t think say…a millionaire lawyer in Arkansas can’t say. Give me an example. Feels like you keep up with them more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Tell me something Jaylen Brown tweeted you don’t think say…a millionaire lawyer in Arkansas can’t say. Give me an example. Feels like you keep up with them more than I do.
    First of all a millionaire lawyer is probably his own boss and not vulnerable to being fired for violating company policy.

Second of all, if he tweeted support for some organization that pushed holocaust denial and was linked to synagogue shootings he’d probably draw the ire of the partners at his firm.

Anyway I honestly dont care or worry about this stuff at this point. It’s well beyond my control, and part of it is just the way the world works. Nobody’s gonna get everything to be just the way they want it in life. People who own the NBA have their reasons for what they do, and people who support it have their reasons and people who are annoyed by it have their reasons.

I cant change any of that, just gotta focus on living the life I wanna live. The NBA can do whatever it wants and Ill watch if I feel like it and I wont if I dont.

chris in every thread since the start of his ISH career:

makes statement.

gets corrected, flaws in logic are pointed out.

backtracks, pivots to a tangent

cues joke

exits