Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is Artificial Intelligence dangerous?

AI would probably keep this forum running better than Jeff has the last 3 weeks.

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

There's no such thing as A.I. There's such thing as automation and advanced programming. But no computer has ever become sentient. It does what you program it to do.

College superstar

What do you think you are? You are artificial intelligence. All you do is go through information, run it through your filter, and spew out something. Just like an AI program.

NBA All-star

given that the primary coding of artificial intelligence is that people will behave in certain ways for no good reason whatsoever. yea, animals posed as human are quite dangerous

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    AI would probably keep this forum running better than Jeff has the last 3 weeks.

i wasn't really worried about it until this happened:

The jokes seemed to write themselves last week after the Biden administration announced Vice President Kamala Harris, known for her vapid word salad speeches and obvious gaslighting, would now run point on artificial intelligence.
    maybe it'll actually work out though given the fact that artificial intelligence is kamala's forte.

I'm gonna be real with you guys cuz I see this question a lot, but not on forums I am a member of, and... I ain't signing up for a dumb answer.

AI is not dangerous. This is a great era in brain washing. They got people thinking about AI, some futuristic sky net stuff when bots/algorithms are already in there and making huge impacts. The PC/phone --> net is like our connection to the world, or a world we THINK is real, and every decision we make is guided by GOOGLE or w/e. You have to out work google to find what you want. Imagine people who just look at results.

So, all the info indexed on GOOGLE is gated. It's not 'AI,' but it's impactful on that level. Social media, too. All that stuff is AIDS and dangerous RIGHT NOW, putting bad stuff in our heads. Dudes are thinking AI is gonna do what exactly when it becomes self-aware? lol. Maybe it's deep seated insecurity cuz they know any AI with an ounce of sense would start mass wiping out people.

We already here, cuzo. Look up. Don't care about AI, care about NOW. That's all AI is really gonna do, I'd argue, is index... that's what chatGPT does afaik, index and arrange, or nah? But we already being indexed.

AI DREW A PIC AND IT LOOKS REAL AUGGHHH. You see where I'm coming from? Then look at what is happening in the world.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt View Post
    What do you think you are? You are artificial intelligence. All you do is go through information, run it through your filter, and spew out something. Just like an AI program.
    tbh you don't understand what intelligence is then. Intelligence is problem solving. Progression. It goes past the info it has. It creates out of nothing. You're talking about bots, and yea a lot of people like here are like bots, and mbe there are real bots here haha.

As slow as we are at progressing (and people forget all the times we hit a wall and couldn't go any further; imo there is no sign we are gonna be able to go all the way on AI,) we are good at copying things and extracting their use for something else (an intelligent thing done by humans.) However, we have this idea we are moving forward more rapidly than before, and like I said it's all BS imo. We've still got basic failures and looking at some of the limitations on devices we already have will show you where we really are in terms of SINGULARITY.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    tbh you don't understand what intelligence is then. Intelligence is problem solving. Progression. It goes past the info it has. It creates out of nothing. You're talking about bots, and yea a lot of people like here are like bots, and mbe there are real bots here haha.

As slow as we are at progressing (and people forget all the times we hit a wall and couldn't go any further; imo there is no sign we are gonna be able to go all the way on AI,) we are good at copying things and extracting their use for something else (an intelligent thing done by humans.) However, we have this idea we are moving forward more rapidly than before, and like I said it's all BS imo. We've still got basic failures and looking at some of the limitations on devices we already have will show you where we really are in terms of SINGULARITY.

-Smak
    Norcaliblunt has it right. The brain cannot create something from nothing. It does not go past the info it has. It take stimulus, it passes it through its neural net, it takes a path of least resistance and these resistances are built based on what was passed through it earlier. It then strengthens the path it took and arrives at an output(which is often subconscious). It's shockingly machine like. The only thing is the number of variables are so large and stochastic that it appears like "insight" or "intelligence" to the external human observer. This is why it was thought that AI can feasibly reach that point if you simply up the computing power enough. The brain is nearly 100 billion neurons, we are not able to recreate a neural network that large yet but the ones that we have created are virtually indistinguishable from brains of a comparable number of neurons(insects for the most part).

The shocking thing is that even without neural networks and something as simple as large language models we've been able to come much further than anticipated. The big point here is, whatever we make doesn't need to be all that intelligent to fool us into thinking it's intelligent or be convincing enough.

Also, AI being sentient or not is a philosophical question. In fact anyone but one's own self being sentient is a philosophical question that can't be proven one way or another. But having general intelligence is something that can be demonstrated. And faking it is indistinguishable from having it.