Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Elton Brand: how good was he? overrated, underrated? how impactful was he?

Title.

Made a thread like this several years ago; let's hear some opinions on him. Anyone who watched his entire career, especially in his prime?

Where does/did he stack up against those other PFs in that era? How good was he at his best?

- Duncan
    - Garnett
    - Nowitzki
    - Webber
    - Old Karl Malone
    - A. Stoudemire
    - R. Wallace
    - P. Gasol
    - Z. Randolph

Default Re: Elton Brand: how good was he? overrated, underrated? how impactful was he?

He was pretty good. Strong guy, consistently productive, but not overly skilled. Good defender.

On a contender he would be a good 3rd option, weak 2nd option.

Not sure if i would take him over any of the guys you listed.

Default Re: Elton Brand: how good was he? overrated, underrated? how impactful was he?

The guys you listed besides Randolph were all clearly better than Brand.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There is a small but passionate group of people who were dying to make him out to be elite for like 6 months in 2005 or 6 but he was just never special to me. Special in that he was a legitimate all star but not some top guy. Like if I had him or Lamarcus to choose from I’d need salary info…know the coach…I’d need to decide that based on more than the level of player. He’s one of the worse of the…really good 4s. I’m comfortable saying that.

Which doesn’t mean bad…but he’s low on the list of guys who would ever be in a comparison topic.

I wasn’t upset when he left the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The guys you listed besides Randolph were all clearly better than Brand.
    Rasheed?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Rasheed absolutely wasn't.
    Interdasting. What brings you to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Interdasting. What brings you to this conclusion?
    Wasn’t that good offensively. Both good defenders. Brand was considered borderline top 10 his best season Rasheed never was

Saw a basketball once

Im not one to start throwing around the term GOAT,
    but

Elton Tyron Brand.
    Is the Greatest Basketball Player.
    Of All Time.

I believe he was injured significantly right when he hit his peak and had a potential few seasons of 25ppg and 10+ boards if not for it.
    Pretty solid 20/10 guy for all his career but only had that one season slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    He was pretty good. Strong guy, consistently productive, but not overly skilled. Good defender.

On a contender he would be a good 3rd option, weak 2nd option.

Not sure if i would take him over any of the guys you listed.
    Not overly skilled? I thought he was extremely skilled. He didn't have guard skills but his big man skills were absolutely elite. The problem was his skills and game was that of a center but he was undersized and not particularly athletic. His lack of athleticism meant he couldn't really shift to the 4. Injuries also slowed him down.

If he had been healthy and even slightly more athletic(or bigger) he would've been an all-timer. But he wasn't so he topped out as an above average all-star level player.

He was clearly near the bottom of that list. OP also forgot Jermaine O'Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Not overly skilled? I thought he was extremely skilled. He didn't have guard skills but his big man skills were absolutely elite. The problem was his skills and game was that of a center but he was undersized and not particularly athletic. His lack of athleticism meant he couldn't really shift to the 4. Injuries also slowed him down.

If he had been healthy and even slightly more athletic(or bigger) he would've been an all-timer. But he wasn't so he topped out as an above average all-star level player.

Brand was 270 lbs with a 9'2" standing reach. He measured 6'8.25" barefoot, only .75" shorter than Dwight Howard.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...urements-2912/

He had size, he just didn't have 3pt range or much ball handling skill.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopologyPhD View Post
    I believe he was injured significantly right when he hit his peak and had a potential few seasons of 25ppg and 10+ boards if not for it.
    Pretty solid 20/10 guy for all his career but only had that one season slightly better.
    that's about how I remember. Had one huge season and was never the same again

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    that's about how I remember. Had one huge season and was never the same again
    His big season was year 7. Then he played 80 games in season 8 averaging 20/9. Then in year 9 he got hurt.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

2005-06 25 and 10