Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bigger upset story these playoffs from the elite...

bias/agenda aside (hard but do try ISH), who do you think faces the most heat ...

Giannis: out in 1st round to the Heat (Giannis hurt 3 games)

Durant: losing to the Nuggets in 2nd round (Nuggets are best team in the league IMO)

Curry: loses to the Lakers in 2nd round (older Lebron and an inconsistent AD)

Embiid: loses to the Celtics in 2nd round (MVP asterisk* ?)

Lebron: loses to the Warriors in 2nd round (defending champs)

Banned

Default Re: bigger upset story these playoffs from the elite...

it's clearly mil/giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny32 View Post
    it's clearly mil/giannis.
    i think the injury gives him a pass, which I agree with ... but they've tossed the coach already, so they've admitted it being a fire already

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Lakers losing would not be an upset, Warriors have a better record and are the defending champions.

On the flip side if James winning is an upset the Warriors losing could not be an upset... but that's all just me being semantic. Avoiding the area where I would be biased if the Lakers beat the Warriors that is the biggest upset. Davis needs bigger breaks between games than he's going to get and any game he doesn't dominate will be a Laker loss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd View Post
    i think the injury gives him a pass, which I agree with ... but they've tossed the coach already, so they've admitted it being a fire already
    i don't. especially the team as a whole. should have beaten mia without herro. giannis played the last two games of the series and they lost both.

embiid/phi is the dog vs bos. same with lal/bron vs gsw. curry/gsw losing to bron/ad with new cast wouldn't be a big upset imo. pho was the betting fav vs den but den is the 1 seed so hard to argue that one. really only one choice for me.

Banned

Giannis, and none of the other ones come close.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Lakers losing would not be an upset, Warriors have a better record and are the defending champions.

On the flip side if James winning is an upset the Warriors losing could not be an upset... but that's all just me being semantic. Avoiding the area where I would be biased if the Lakers beat the Warriors that is the biggest upset. Davis needs bigger breaks between games than he's going to get and any game he doesn't dominate will be a Laker loss.
    i do think warriors losing is an upset - they are clearly a better/deeper team, and defending champs + higher seeded. Lakers had no shot going in to me, 2 games max is their ceiling against them given the inconsistencies and reliance on Lebron at this age

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny32 View Post
    i don't. especially the team as a whole. should have beaten mia without herro. giannis played the last two games of the series and they lost both.

embiid/phi is the dog vs bos. same with lal/bron vs gsw. curry/gsw losing to bron/ad with new cast wouldn't be a big upset imo. pho was the betting fav vs den but den is the 1 seed so hard to argue that one. really only one choice for me.

well that's the devils advocate - the team shouldnt have faulted so bad with Giannis being out 3 of the 5 games. but the 1 vs 8 knockout headline will always remain

bias/agenda aside (hard but do try ISH), who do you think faces the most heat ...

Giannis: out in 1st round to the Heat (Giannis hurt 3 games)
    This one takes the cake for me. Was Giannis injured? Yes. But he was still putting up some big numbers when he played and they still lost. Plus the whole 1 seed losing to an 8 seed thing.

Durant: losing to the Nuggets in 2nd round (Nuggets are best team in the league IMO)
    Durant would get flamed for this. But like you said, the Nuggets are a good team and the #1 seed for a reason.

Curry: loses to the Lakers in 2nd round (older Lebron and an inconsistent AD)
    I don't think he comes out of this with much heat. Unless there's an epic choke later in the series.

Embiid: loses to the Celtics in 2nd round (MVP asterisk* ?)
    Embiid has been losing to the Celtics his whole career. Even as the MVP, it doesn't move the needle much.

Lebron: loses to the Warriors in 2nd round (defending champs)
    Same as Curry and the Warriors. Everything here for LeBron is just the cherry on top of his already accomplished career.

Giannis losing is far & away the biggest story by a significant margin. #1 seed losing to an #8 seed in 5 games. Double digit leads in the 4th. Giannis turning into a terrified Ben Simmons with a legendary choke. People will gloss over it, but it's up there. There's a case where if you have a legendary choke in the finals, it's far more significant than any other round, less so in the first round despite this being far worse. I forgot their 3rd best player missed nearly the entire series due to injury as well. Yikes. There's an entire conversation about Giannis that needs to be had, but nobody wants to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Lebron or Curry losing is not an upset. Two best players of the generations, but it will have some very fun stories regardless on whose the victor/loser. Embiid losing to the Celtics is what you call business as usual. The upset is if Celtics fail to beat him. KD losing to the Nuggets is a story but he will get excuses for it as he has his whole career when things go wrong in the playoffs.

i do think warriors losing is an upset - they are clearly a better/deeper team, and defending champs + higher seeded. Lakers had no shot going in to me, 2 games max is their ceiling against them given the inconsistencies and reliance on Lebron at this age

well that's the devils advocate - the team shouldnt have faulted so bad with Giannis being out 3 of the 5 games. but the 1 vs 8 knockout headline will always remain
    Lakers have been the best team in the league since the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Giannis, and none of the other ones come close.
    This.

And firing Budenholzer only made it worse.
    Now Bucks will enter a downward trend line with Nick Nurse, Lopez will get PAID by Dallas or win a chip with the Warriors, and Giannis will leave for greener pastures.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

history of the game - Bucks.

two years ago win it all ,,, 5 years best win record and an oust in first round against literally Jimmy Butler.

The question is no one in NBA history ever came back to when it all.... so can Bucks do that in the next two years will be their window.

It just depends on how they play. Giannis, despite losing, played quite well. I think the consensus is they will come back next year with a better coach and contend again. Where's the heat in that?

Now if Embiid got backdoor swept and not play well, he'd face some heat. Maybe to the extent that tip the MVP voting favor against him next season.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    It just depends on how they play. Giannis, despite losing, played quite well. I think the consensus is they will come back next year with a better coach and contend again. Where's the heat in that?

Now if Embiid got backdoor swept and not play well, he'd face some heat. Maybe to the extent that tip the MVP voting favor against him next season.
    No he didn't. He shot like garbage and choked too many FTs which directly led to them losing the series. Literally threw the ball away from his hands like Ben Simmons, something we've never seen before at that level. And as usual in Giannis fashion, the team's half court offense without Middleton going nuclear, was absolute garbagio at the end of the game. Which explains the double digit 4th quarter chokes.

Did you watch the games, or did you just look at the boxscores?
    Last edited by hold this L; 05-06-2023 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    No he didn't. He shot like garbage and choked too many FTs which directly led to them losing the series. Literally threw the ball away from his hands like Ben Simmons, something we've never seen before at that level. And as usual in Giannis fashion, the team's half court offense without Middleton going nuclear, was absolute garbagio at the end of the game. Which explains the double digit 4th quarter chokes.

Did you watch the games, or did you just look at the boxscores?
    He was injured in game 1 so he didn't finish in it. Thus, he missed game 2 as well which was their only win in that series. Despite that, he was able to get his stats (tho it doesn't necessarily mean he played well).
    Last edited by Axe; 05-06-2023 at 02:14 AM.