Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Did LeBron James play the 3 greatest games ever in 2016?

Thinking Basketball's Anaysis to 3 games of perfection. Must watch.

Default Re: Did LeBron James play the 3 greatest games ever in 2016?

For the people who would say no, I'm genuinely curious who they'd say had a greater 3 game stretch instead. Jordan is going to be the most obvious response, maybe something from peak Shaq or Hakeem instead.

NBA Superstar

Jordan I'm sure has had a better 3 game stretch. But this was probably the best all-around basketball that I've personally seen on such a big stage.

Thinking Basketball aka Ben Tayor deems it the greatest 3-game stretch ever.

The video actually helps you understand why. I dont think upon seing the video, Id go for any other stretch.

Ben gives these HMs in the Description:

Other great 3-game stretches from a playoff series:

-Elgin Baylor, 1961: Final 3 games of WCF averaged 41.7 ppg 17.7 rpg but didn't shoot well (49.5% TS)
    -Wilt, 1967: G3-G5 ECF: 20-41-9, 20-22-10, and then 29-36-13 (54.4% TS)
    -Kareem 1977, G4-G6 WCSF: 43 ppg 18.7 rpg 3 apg (65% TS)
    -Bird 1986: G1-G3 Finals averaged 25.7 ppg 10.3 rpg 10.3 apg 4.0 steals 0.7 blks (55% TS)
    -Magic 1987: G1-G3 Finals averaged 27.7 ppg 14 apg 8 rpb 2 steals (63% TS)
    -Jordan 1991: G1-G3 Finals averaged 32.7 ppg 11.3 apg 8.0 rpg 3 stl 1 bpg (62.5% TS)
    -Jordan 1993 :G3-G5 Finals averaged 46.7 ppg 8 rpg 5.7 apg (56.5% TS)
    -Hakeem 1995: G1-G3 WCF: 37 ppg 11.7 rpg 4.7 apg 4.0 blocks (60% TS)
    -Shaq, 2000: G1-G3 of 2000 Finals averaged 38.7 ppg 18.7 rpg 3.0 apg (64% TS)
    -Duncan, 2003: G1-G3 WCF: 35.3 ppg 18.0 rpg 6.0 apg 3.3 blocks (66% TS)
    -Wade, 2006: G3-G5 Finals averaged 40.3 ppg 7.7 rpg 3.0 apg 61% TS)
    -Kobe 2010: G4-G6 WCF: 35 ppg 8 rpg 7 apg (64% TS)
    -Also note that Jerry West in 1965 averaged 46.3 ppg in the series against the Baltimore Bullets (7 apg, 6 rpg), 55% TS

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Given the context no.

Their best defensive players Dray out and bogut injured in Game 5..

Game 6 was a blowout from before the 1st quarter ended because they got curry into foul trouble on extremely suspect blocking calls..

And he didn't even shoot well in game 7... ultimately needing Kyrie to hit the biggest shots and outplay Curry H2H.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Given the context no.

Game 6 was a blowout from before the 1st quarter ended because they got curry into foul trouble on extremely suspect blocking calls..

And he didn't even shoot well in game 7... ultimately needing Kyrie to hit the biggest shots and outplay Curry H2H.

Watch the video.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Given the context no.

Iguodala had back spasms too. He was shuffling around and could barely get up and down the court.

Look at the splits of games 1-4 when warriors were healthy. he struggled to score an efficient 20 ppg

then after Dray suspension, loss of bogut, loss of iguodala (GS’s 3 best defenders) he goes off last 3

Lebron was getting stuffed when Warriors were healthy and took advantage when they lost literally all of their defensive depth

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Watch the video.
    I watched the games man. He was great in those games but what happened in games 1-4 where his averages were way way worse?

Of course dray being out and bogut getting hurt in his biggest most important game is a very clear context for why he played so much better.

That was the warriors entire paint and rim protection.

How can you deny that?

It was definitely one of the best and is definitely Bron's peak performance...I personally don't think he ever even came close to this any other time in his career. I would take Shaq's entire run in 2001 over this because he was completely dominant that entire playoffs to the point that they only lost 1 game. That is easily MDE in modern era for me.

Other than that, Duncan, Hakeem and Jordan's stretches and probably bird's 86 run were all better imo just due to the competition and era they were in. Of those that Ben listed, Wade's 06 is more of an aberration as he received exactly 20156841232652 free throws

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Iguodala had back spasms too. He was shuffling around and could barely get up and down the court.

Look at the splits of games 1-4 when warriors were healthy. he struggled to score an efficient 20 ppg

then after Dray suspension, loss of bogut, loss of iguodala (GS’s 3 best defenders) he goes off last 3

Lebron was getting stuffed when Warriors were healthy and took advantage when they lost literally all of their defensive depth
    Yup... then he got to feast on guys like mo speights and ezeli who ended up being horrible and basically out of a job after leaving the warriors.

Mo at least had some offensive skill but he was a poor athlete and defender.

I watched the games man. He was great in those games but what happened in games 1-4 where his averages were way way worse?

Of course dray being out and bogut getting hurt in his biggest most important game is a very clear context for why he played so much better.

That was the warriors entire paint and rim protection.

How can you deny that?
    Bro Bogut played 12 minutes and Green was out 1 game.

Just watch the video. Dont you feel you might learn something? Notice something you didnt notice before?

If it was Kobe id watch too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I see people are still triggered about 2016

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Bro Bogut played 12 minutes and Green was out 1 game.

Just watch the video. Dont you feel you might learn something? Notice something you didnt notice before?

If it was Kobe id watch too.
    Or you could go back and watch the series.

Dray got suspended for game 5 and came back as a cucked version of himself in Game 6 as he knew he could get potentially thrown out for breathing on someone at that point point.

Iguodala’s back was messed up and he could hardly move.

You had the rim protection of Varejao and Ezeli behind them

If you look at the circumstances it’s not a mystery why lebron had a monster final 3 games after getting completely stuffed in games 1-4

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    It was definitely one of the best and is definitely Bron's peak performance...I personally don't think he ever even came close to this any other time in his career. I would take Shaq's entire run in 2001 over this because he was completely dominant that entire playoffs to the point that they only lost 1 game. That is easily MDE in modern era for me.

Other than that, Duncan, Hakeem and Jordan's stretches and probably bird's 86 run were all better imo just due to the competition and era they were in. Of those that Ben listed, Wade's 06 is more of an aberration as he received exactly 20156841232652 free throws
    I honestly think that LeBron 2017 and 2018 were better in terms of peak performance. At least offensively. I think he was better defensively with Miami and 2016 Cavs. But more so in Miami.

In terms of 3 greatest games ever? It's subjective. I wouldn't say so, but it is great. We aren't including the regular or first round of the playoffs. And we aren't including stats because there are superior stats out there. MJ usually destroyed teams in the first round of the playoffs. He averaged 40 ppg in a lot of them.

Shaq in the finals had amazing games. Of course, LeBron in 2017 and 2018 are in contention. Kareem games hardly ever get talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I honestly think that LeBron 2017 and 2018 were better in terms of peak performance. At least offensively. I think he was better defensively with Miami and 2016 Cavs. But more so in Miami.

In terms of 3 greatest games ever? It's subjective. I wouldn't say so, but it is great. We aren't including the regular or first round of the playoffs. And we aren't including stats because there are superior stats out there. MJ usually destroyed teams in the first round of the playoffs. He averaged 40 ppg in a lot of them.

Shaq in the finals had amazing games. Of course, LeBron in 2017 and 2018 are in contention. Kareem games hardly ever get talked about.
    I don't have a problem with those statements. It was kinda odd to see a dude like Bron peak out at that age. I think it really came together because his shot got way more consistent as opposed to earlier in his career...Ben even mentions in the video how Warriors initially would play off him cause of how his shot used to be. Kareem games were definitely insane multiple years, same with Wilt. Just hard to compare those eras cause the game didn't even have many of the same rules.