Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Default Re: What is the more realistic perception of the future?

The reality is that we are still in baby steps of our understanding of physics. There are limitless breakthroughs still to be uncovered. We know very little of quantum physics yet.
    We went from first flight to space flight in less than 100 years.
    Once we get fusion squared away, things will really take off.

Last edited by Chick Stern; 05-15-2023 at 02:47 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

shit we just solved our fly saucer - for my coffee cup.

actually that is pretty cool ... it is a start.

none of these films are remotely accurate... the best examples would be the original Matrix, v for vendetta, gattaca, idiocracy, etc...

We already have a city that looks like Blade Runner 2049 and Cyberpunk - Chongqing, China.

All it needs are some flying cars

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    none of these films are remotely accurate... the best examples would be the original Matrix, v for vendetta, gattaca, idiocracy, etc...
    The future will be like all of these films? Neo will be out destroying rouge AI agents while a masked anarchist frees Britain from fascists? And they are all complete morons?

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    AI and technology will be so advanced to the point we can't imagine it today. There will be virtually free energy. Human population will shrink. There's really no need to have kids anymore. There's no more working for money. No more fighting for resources. Countries will make a pact to denuclearized, work together and eventually explore space.
    This is the most realistic take. Everyone's living standard will continue to ramp up dramatically just as it has been. It doesn't stop with us.

I think this thread shows that everyone has a bleak outlook on the future because they have been brainwashed by all these Hollywood movies. But in reality technology, AI, and advancements in healthcare and medicine are going to get better and better and the generations that follow ours will have it much easier than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post

V for Vendetta was basically 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    This is the most realistic take. Everyone's living standard will continue to ramp up dramatically just as it has been. It doesn't stop with us.

I think this thread shows that everyone has a bleak outlook on the future because they have been brainwashed by all these Hollywood movies. But in reality technology, AI, and advancements in healthcare and medicine are going to get better and better and the generations that follow ours will have it much easier than we do.

Sweet gullible soul.

"You will own nothing and be happy"

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A. View Post
    We already have a city that looks like Blade Runner 2049 and Cyberpunk - Chongqing, China.

All it needs are some flying cars

So on point, bro.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

Sweet gullible soul.

Yeah when in this happening, OTC? This utopia you guys have been promising for years has never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post

Exactly. Look at us now. A poor person in the US is living much better than kings and queens who lived just a couple of hundred years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Exactly. Look at us now. A poor person in the US is living much better than kings and queens who lived just a couple of hundred years ago.

wayyyy too vague of a take, long of a timeline

Have you not seen the 15 minute "smart" cities that are being advocated for?

Or "the line" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick Stern View Post
    The reality is that we are still in baby steps of our understanding of physics. There are limitless breakthroughs still to be uncovered. We know very little of quantum physics yet.
    We went from first flight to space flight in less than 100 years.
    Once we get fusion squared away, things will really take off.

I'm just saying far more fantastical things could be achieved before FTL travel. If it's even possible. We're closer to backwards time travel(which is not close at all). And it's probably a requirement for FTL travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

Sweet gullible soul.

I think he's on the money. There'll be more prosperity and comfort but less autonomy and freedom. Things will become increasingly streamlined. You're either part of the system or you'll be an outsider who'll have a difficult time.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    I think he's on the money. There'll be more prosperity and comfort but less autonomy and freedom. Things will become increasingly streamlined. You're either part of the system or you'll be an outsider who'll have a difficult time.

Sounds like the premise of Demolition Man. We won't be able to swear anymore. The true free people live down in the sewers and eat rats.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Sounds like the premise of Demolition Man. We won't be able to swear anymore. The true free people live down in the sewers and eat rats.
    If you think of the spectrum from the wild west to this kind of future. Somewhere in the middle lies the happy medium we desire but where that is, is different for everybody. And it can also change over time. I think as a society we are becoming more and more OK with surrendering autonomy for comfort.