Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Does the NBA lack equality?

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the owners are jewish.

The NBA is as jewish as Hollywood.
    That's a distinction that ain't allowed to be talked about.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    That's a distinction that ain't allowed to be talked about.
    Historically oppressed group who succeed at unprecedented levels.

Genetics and culture mayne. We ain't got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    In a discussion of business accomplishments one group literally not being allowed to get a bank account or credit on their own ends the discussion of if there is “privilege”.

If we can’t all acknowledge the indisputable parts conversations like this are pointless.

A cat missing half its claws will have more trouble climbing than a healthy cat. Doesn’t mean an injured cat can’t climb. It just makes it a stupid question to wonder why declawed cats are worse climbers. Acknowledgement of a difference in outside factors shouldn’t be so controversial. But we have a society that has serious trouble with truths they don’t like the implications of.
    What are we even talking about? I think we're discussing separate things. I'm responding to the idea that historically speaking, women are less "privileged" than men - in life, not merely in economics. And critiquing the concept of privilege as a whole.

I assume you were only referring to economics? Were you only talking about the acquisition of wealth and resources? Because I think any legitimate concept of gender inequality should extend far beyond whether one could start a business or a bank account; how well a man or woman could acquire wealth and resources. Was conscription not a form of gender-based systemic oppression?

I just think that privilege, whatever it is, is far more than just wealth and resources. Biological inequality is a term I've never heard before but it sure as hell matters. Those born with high degrees of genetic fitness (tall, symmetrical, attractive, cognitively adept) are able to succeed in life with greater ease.

But that's a different discussion, clearly.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I'm responding to the idea that historically speaking, women are less "privileged" than men - in life,
    even if I told you that pressure will make you commit suicide, you still wouldn't be able to stop, would you. because that's how you were born, under the assumption that others lived a life without pressure.