Default Can NBA player contract clause include some ability to manage the team?

I remember reading Bill Walton had a clause where the team had to get Bruce Springsteen tickets.

So say you're franchise player X. Can you have clauses like:

- Head coach selection has to be approved by X before it goes to final decision
    - The team cannot offer any player equal or more than X's salary without X's approval
    - Any future signing that has ever made All-Star or All-NBA has to be approved by X

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Can NBA player contract clause include some ability to manage the team?

Why would a superstar want that clause when they get that same power without being directly blameable when the moves they force from behind the scenes don't work out?

But there have been player-coach deals before. It doesn't happen because it's too many things to be responsible for but it's still allowed as far as I know.

Default Re: Can NBA player contract clause include some ability to manage the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Why would a superstar want that clause when they get that same power without being directly blameable when the moves they force from behind the scenes don't work out?

But there have been player-coach deals before. It doesn't happen because it's too many things to be responsible for but it's still allowed as far as I know.
    Well not everyone is afraid of being blamed. And sometimes teams go over the star, especially if the star doesn't play well or there's a new owner or there's a new rising star in the team.