Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Woj says teams are calling the Wizards about Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Because i believe they are trying to win and will probably have to take back crap contracts in return.

I wanted to let Beal walk rather than resign him to that huge deal. I knew that he isn't a difference maker and it would just keep them on the treadmill.

Resigning him to that deal, with a no trade clause ffs, tells you all you need to know about their intentions. When have they ever committed to doing a full rebuild? The only tanking they have done in recent memory was unintentional. Time after time they were trying to win and failed.
    Everyone knew they'd be a fringe playoff team with Beal...the Wizards obviously didn't want to tank and wanted to reward their franchise level player. Whether they do a full rebuild or not...if Beal's contract is already as bad as you claim and he isn't a difference maker...what does it really matter what they take back?

They aren't doing anything with him...so what is the downside?

Obviously, I understand being frustrated with the choices of not tanking your team has taken, but I don't see how Beal really impacts this if they are just going to have the same goal with him or without him.

This is why I didn't understand the hate Wizards fans had for Beal's contract...at least it gives you options to make a trade to improve the roster or tank.

Because i believe they are trying to win and will probably have to take back crap contracts in return.

I wanted to let Beal walk rather than resign him to that huge deal. I knew that he isn't a difference maker and it would just keep them on the treadmill.

Resigning him to that deal, with a no trade clause ffs, tells you all you need to know about their intentions. When have they ever committed to doing a full rebuild? The only tanking they have done in recent memory was unintentional. Time after time they were trying to win and failed.

This is the team that traded away the 6th pick years ago for Mike Miller and Randy Foye, both on the last year of their contracts. Our GM said there wasnt anyone in that draft that could help them win. GS used that pick on Steph.
    I researched about this and found out that the 6th overall pick of the 2009 draft was actually jonny flynn, not the famous gerbil uncle. Unless something changed rt. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    Everyone knew they'd be a fringe playoff team with Beal...the Wizards obviously didn't want to tank and wanted to reward their franchise level player. Whether they do a full rebuild or not...if Beal's contract is already as bad as you claim and he isn't a difference maker...what does it really matter what they take back?

They aren't doing anything with him...so what is the downside?

Obviously, I understand being frustrated with the choices of not tanking your team has taken, but I don't see how Beal really impacts this if they are just going to have the same goal with him or without him.

This is why I didn't understand the hate Wizards fans had for Beal's contract...at least it gives you options to make a trade to improve the roster or tank.

The downside is staying on the treadmill indefinitely. Resigning KP and trading Beal for whatever will keep them squarely on the treadmill.

Now if they do decide to do a full rebuild then obviously they would just want primarily draft capital in return for Beal. But i think the odds of that happening about about the same as the odds of the Wizards calling me up for a 10 day contract next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I researched about this and found out that the 6th overall pick of the 2009 draft was actually jonny flynn, not the famous gerbil uncle. Unless something changed rt. Just saying.
    I just remembered wrong. The Wizards traded the 5th pick, which they could have used on Steph, to Minny for Foye and Miller. I was in Atlanta at the time and wasn't following the team that closely. Steph did want to come to dc btw and was taken at 7.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...and-radny-foye
    Last edited by tontoz; 06-14-2023 at 05:42 PM.

The downside is staying on the treadmill indefinitely. Resigning KP and trading Beal for whatever will keep them squarely on the treadmill.

Now if they do decide to do a full rebuild then obviously they would just want primarily draft capital in return for Beal. But i think the odds of that happening about about the same as the odds of the Wizards calling me up for a 10 day contract next season.
    Right, but the treadmill is there whether you signed Beal or not...that was/is my point. At least by signing him...you have options to change course....not saying they will as they clearly haven't wanted to, but the overall issue with the Wizards is their goal to be a playoff team...not a rebuilding team looking to be a contender.

If I was running the Wizards, I would have signed Beal...and now I'd be looking to offload him to a team to take back salary and get draft picks. Not sure Beal's value, but I imagine they could at least get two first round picks in a 3 team deal involving Herro and Lowry's expiring if the Wizards didn't want Herro in a tank. Could probably get 3 firsts if they take back bad salary from the 3rd team.

Right, but the treadmill is there whether you signed Beal or not...that was/is my point. At least by signing him...you have options to change course....not saying they will as they clearly haven't wanted to, but the overall issue with the Wizards is their goal to be a playoff team...not a rebuilding team looking to be a contender.

If I was running the Wizards, I would have signed Beal...and now I'd be looking to offload him to a team to take back salary and get draft picks. Not sure Beal's value, but I imagine they could at least get two first round picks in a 3 team deal involving Herro and Lowry's expiring if the Wizards didn't want Herro in a tank. Could probably get 3 firsts if they take back bad salary from the 3rd team.
    Who is giving up good draft picks for Beal? I don't see it happening. Beal isn't going to go to a bad team (that no trade clause) so that means late first rounders and rotation players which means more treadmill.

They could have done a legit rebuild if they let Beal walk. KP and Kuz were on the last year of their deals and were easily tradable.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

This is the team that traded away the 6th pick years ago for Mike Miller and Randy Foye, both on the last year of their contracts. Our GM said there wasnt anyone in that draft that could help them win. GS used that pick on Steph.

Sounds like Herro and 3 first rounders is in line with your long term thinking then. It’s easy to find filler these days when every good role player makes 15-25 million.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Who is giving up good draft picks for Beal? I don't see it happening. Beal isn't going to go to a bad team (that no trade clause) so that means late first rounders and rotation players which means more treadmill.

They could have done a legit rebuild if they let Beal walk. KP and Kuz were on the last year of their deals and were easily tradable.

Seems lately teams take the firsts even from good teams because things aren’t sustainable. The Heat window with Beal, Butler, and Bam is what? Jimmy and Beal will be 100 million themselves.

I'd have to think through specifics for each team because I haven't done the work yet, but I'd imagine the Heat would give up at least a couple unprotected future firsts if they could swap Lowry's expiring and Oladipo for Beal.

How is that more treadmill? And how would not signing Beal last year be better?

This is what I don't understand. You could turn Beal into expiring salary and the Heat's 2027 and 2029 first round picks and you scoff at that or something like that...just seems like a fan won't be pleased no matter what if that is the case.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 06-14-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Sounds like Herro and 3 first rounders is in line with your long term thinking then. It’s easy to find filler these days when every good role player makes 15-25 million.
    So if they do that i am sure they resign KP and someone else in their relentless pursuit of the 8th seed.

I didn't even bother watching their games this season. I just watched other teams and enjoyed the season a lot more.

So if they do that i am sure they resign KP and someone else in their relentless pursuit of the 8th seed.

I didn't even bother watching their games this season. I just watched other teams and enjoyed the season a lot more.
    But that is a criticism of the team's overall approach...not specifically the Beal situation. I understand the criticism of how the franchise has been run...I don't understand how not signing Beal changes anything.

But that is a criticism of the team's overall approach...not specifically the Beal situation. I understand the criticism of how the franchise has been run...I don't understand how not signing Beal changes anything.

If they were a contender trying to keep a team together it would be at least defensible. For a team winning 35 games it makes no sense to pay 50 mil/yr to a guy who isn't that good. He's made only 3 AS games in his career.

If they were a contender trying to keep a team together it would be at least defensible. For a team winning 35 games it makes no sense to pay 50 mil/yr to a guy who isn't that good. He's made only 3 AS games in his career.
    Actually, it does...because you can use the salary to get future assets you badly need.

I'm genuinely curious...you are saying that if you ran the Wizards right now...you'd turn down Lowry/Oladipo and two future firsts for Beal?

Actually, it does...because you can use the salary to get future assets you badly need.

I'm genuinely curious...you are saying that if you ran the Wizards right now...you'd turn down Lowry/Oladipo and two future firsts for Beal?

No but if I was running the team Beal wouldn't be here. And if they do make that deal they are still squarely on the treadmill. The last two years they won 35 games which is NBA purgatory and that is exactly where they would be yet again.

You can use cap space to take on a bad contract and draft assets. That is how the Cavs got the pick they used on kyrie

No but if I was running the team Beal wouldn't be here. And if they do make that deal they are still squarely on the treadmill. The last two years they won 35 games which is NBA purgatory and that is exactly where they would be yet again.

You can use cap space to take on a bad contract and draft assets. That is how the Cavs got the pick they used on kyrie
    How would they be in a better position without Beal?...and in this case...without the ability to absorb contracts teams don't want to get first round picks?

Like I said...this isn't about Beal...it is about you disagreeing with the goals of the franchise for the last few years. You just got done saying they are still on the treadmill without Beal...