Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Woj says teams are calling the Wizards about Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    How would they be in a better position without Beal?...and in this case...without the ability to absorb contracts teams don't want to get first round picks?

Like I said...this isn't about Beal...it is about you disagreeing with the goals of the franchise for the last few years. You just got done saying they are still on the treadmill without Beal...

SMH

Trading Beal for hero and whatever keeps them on the treadmill. Letting Beal walk and trading KP and Kuz would have gotten them off the treadmill. it isn't complicated.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    SMH

Trading Beal for hero and whatever keeps them on the treadmill. Letting Beal walk and trading KP and Kuz would have gotten them off the treadmill. it isn't complicated.
    You could have done all 3 though. You could have traded KP and Kuz...and then traded Beal this summer...and you'd have more assets than doing it your way.

Have no idea what you are going on about...it isn't complicated at all...the notion that signing Beal last summer prevented making moves is not true. What is true...is that the Wizards...up until now maybe...did not want to rebuild...and that is the issue you have....and I agree with it.

But that doesn't change that Beal can be moved, right now, for positive value for the Wizards on a rebuild, easily...

You could have done all 3 though. You could have traded KP and Kuz...and then traded Beal this summer...and you'd have more assets than doing it your way.

Have no idea what you are going on about...it isn't complicated at all...the notion that signing Beal last summer prevented making moves is not true. What is true...is that the Wizards...up until now maybe...did not want to rebuild...and that is the issue you have....and I agree with it.

But that doesn't change that Beal can be moved, right now, for positive value for the Wizards on a rebuild, easily...

Signing Beal last summer kept them on the treadmill they have been on for decades.

The most important thing for any wizards fan is getting off the treadmill. Wizards fans DGAF that resigning him meant that we could trade him for assets. WE DON'T CARE.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...rade-scenarios

portis and middleton for BEAL ??? ok throw in Grayson Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...rade-scenarios

portis and middleton for BEAL ??? ok throw in Grayson Allan

As long as they aren't on long term deals, sold.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

beal isn’t going to get any sort of decent package. did someone in here say multiple firsts?

worst contract in the league even before the no trade clause he gets, devaluing it further as there’s not an open market for him so they can’t do any bidding wars (if there would even be a bidding war for him in the first place)

we got some absurd doubling down here

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Signing Beal last summer kept them on the treadmill they have been on for decades.

The most important thing for any wizards fan is getting off the treadmill. Wizards fans DGAF that resigning him meant that we could trade him for assets. WE DON'T CARE.
    No, it didn't. The goal of the franchise would have to change to get them off the treadmill. If you just removed Beal from the team right now and the Wizards sign KP and Kuz...they are basically the same.

Blaming the Beal contract for what the Wizards goal as a franchise has been for a long time now is dishonest...you know better. Doesn't matter what fans wanted or if you don't care.

No, it didn't. The goal of the franchise would have to change to get them off the treadmill. If you just removed Beal from the team right now and the Wizards sign KP and Kuz...they are basically the same.

Blaming the Beal contract for what the Wizards goal as a franchise has been for a long time now is dishonest...you know better. Doesn't matter what fans wanted or if you don't care.
    “beal’s contract is good because it accomplishes the owners awful game plan”

what a ****ing cope

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    beal isn’t going to get any sort of decent package. did someone in here say multiple firsts?

worst contract in the league even before the no trade clause he gets, devaluing it further as there’s not an open market for him so they can’t do any bidding wars (if there would even be a bidding war for him in the first place)

we got some absurd doubling down here
    At least address the actual points I have made. The point I have consistently made about Beal's contract is that if you want to shift course...you can use it to take on bad salary and get a pick or two out of it.

Are you arguing that if the Wizards called up the Heat right now and offered Beal for Lowry/Oladipo and two future firsts...they'd just hang up and say no? I legit don't think you've thought through anything beyond some sticker shock value in some broad sense.

But, please, tell me more about how Brooklyn wouldn't do Simmons and a couple of their firsts they got in recent deals for Beal.

“beal’s contract is good because it accomplishes the owners awful game plan”

what a ****ing cope
    You legit don't even know what you are talking about and can't even make a coherent point that addresses the actual issue.

You are too stupid to have this conversation.

You legit don't even know what you are talking about and can't even make a coherent point that addresses the actual issue.

You are too stupid to have this conversation.
    lmao.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion but…

just fyi you are kinda on an island with this one and your justifications don’t really make any sense

you are either the smartest guy in the room or the dumbest

it’s all good though, time will tell, we’ll see.

lmao.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion but…

just fyi you are kinda on an island with this one and your justifications don’t really make any sense

you are either the smartest guy in the room or the dumbest

it’s all good though, time will tell, we’ll see.
    I'd like you to tell me what doesn't make sense. I'm genuinely curious.

For reference, this is what I wrote last summer...and I'll just add, again. that the point I've made about why I would have paid Beal is to allow the Wizards to take on bad salary and get a couple picks out of it if they decide to go that route. They essentially take care of a loyal player which gives them cred with the rest of the league...and then, if they choose (and this is what I would do as I've told you before)...trade him for bad salary and future assets.

And I'd like to know your opinion on a potential trade with the Heat. Do you think the Heat would give up a couple future firsts, Lowry, Oladipo, and maybe even Highsmith for Beal? If so, don't you think that return is better than the nothing you get back for letting him walk?

I'll make my position crystal clear...

1. If the Wizards were all about contending...they should have traded Beal two years ago and tanked. I said a similar thing about Wall...should have traded him before his big contract because he wasn't a championship first option. Again, that is assuming the only thing for the Wizards is about contending for titles. Unfortunately for you and other fans...the Wizards aren't all about contending and I think that is abundantly clear at this point.

2. In this current situation, I think paying Beal makes more sense than letting him walk. I don't think it would be the dumbest thing ever to not pay him...as he is clearly overpaid relative to others as we discussed...but I do think having his contract going forward is more likely to be an asset and offer flexibility to the Wizards. Yes, there is risk...but there is risk on both sides. And, again, the Wizards goal is not championship or bust. They made the KP trade to try to field a competitive team. You can disagree with that goal, but you have to view this contract and their moves through that lens if you want to be fair.

3. I do not understand the view of letting Beal walk and not tanking. I don't understand how that gets the franchise anywhere. Running out KP and some decent players to win 35 games or something doesn't accomplish staying competitive or bottoming out to become a contender. I'm not saying I'm right...I legit just don't understand the argument you made to let Beal walk and retool.

4. Beal is not a KCP level player in terms of impact and I think that is just obvious to anyone that isn't emotional. RPM that you listed is only good for comparing players in comparable roles...you can't compare the RPM of a leading scorer to a guy that focuses on defense and scores about 10 points per game. That is simply a misunderstanding of the metric...and I like metrics like that...but you don't compare role players to best players on teams...if you do, it is a mistake.

5. Blaze is correct that the dollar amount is what is shocking people more than the percentage of the cap. You can all claim that isn't what it is, but then you'd be upset about too many contracts in history to count. Does Beal deserve it? Well, in one sense...yes...he's been a loyal really good player for a franchise that wants to keep him for the rest of his career. In another sense...no...because better players make about the same or less so by definition he's overpaid. My only caveat to this argument is that the league is specifically setup for that to happen...and if we take that logic and apply it across the board...virtually everyone that isn't Giannis or a stud on a rookie deal...is overpaid...it seems like this point is more of an issue with how the league and players want salaries distributed than it is a point with Beal specifically.

That is more or less my take.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 06-14-2023 at 08:29 PM.

I'd like you to tell me what doesn't make sense. I'm genuinely curious.
    multiple first round picks for beal, not taking on shitty contracts in return as well as well

your justification of “fans don’t want a total rebuild but want to be on the treadmill forever”

your justification of “the owner wants to be a treadmill failure team, and the beal contract helps that”

defending beal’s contract even with the no trade clause which shoots itself in the foot and even decreasing the value further

multiple first round picks for beal, not taking on shitty contracts in return as well as well

your justification of “fans don’t want a total rebuild but want to be on the treadmill forever”

your justification of “the owner wants to be a treadmill failure team, and the beal contract helps that”

defending beal’s contract even with the no trade clause which shoots itself in the foot and even decreasing the value further

1. You don't think the Wizards could get multiple firsts by taking on dead salary from the Heat? I definitely do.

2. I never said fans want to be on the treadmill forever.

3. I said Beal's contract gives them options in case they decide they don't want to be a playoff contender and try to become a championship contender.

4. I said I wouldn't have given him a no-trade clause, but understood why the team did it.

See, this is my point, half of the above I didn't even say. I've argued that they should have traded Beal 3 years ago now. That if contending is the goal, as it should be in my opinion, keeping him was wrong, but once you got to last year....I think you'd rather keep him than let him walk.

You have to actually take the time to read what someone says mate.

1. You don't think the Wizards could get multiple firsts by taking on dead salary from the Heat? I definitely do.

2. I never said fans want to be on the treadmill forever.

3. I said Beal's contract gives them options in case they decide they don't want to be a playoff contender and try to become a championship contender.

4. I said I wouldn't have given him a no-trade clause, but understood why the team did it.

See, this is my point, half of the above I didn't even say. I've argued that they should have traded Beal 3 years ago now. That if contending is the goal, as it should be in my opinion, keeping him was wrong, but once you got to last year....I think you'd rather keep him than let him walk.

You have to actually take the time to read what someone says mate.
    to be honest i could probably sift through the original thread and find lots of examples where you are saying different things but i’m over it at this point

i’ll book mark this thread and if a deal does get struck we will revisit and see