Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Ya'll keeping up with that missing submersible sub that was visiting the Titanic?

They've lost contact with it and they only have about 50 hours of oxygen left. 5 people on board. Crews on the surface lost contact with the sub roughly an hour into the mission. No one has any idea where they're at.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/ti...day/index.html

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default Re: Ya'll keeping up with that missing submersible sub that was visiting the Titanic?

It's amazing with expense involved making this voyage possible that there isn't some kind of tracking device. And I thought it almost comical that that despite costing millions to build, the sub is controlled by an Xbox controller. Not even a factory controller, an aftermarket one

Default Re: Ya'll keeping up with that missing submersible sub that was visiting the Titanic?

damn that sucks

Still missing. Only 90 hours of oxygen available.

It doesn’t even make sense that people are smart enough to build something like that, but not smart enough to include a tracking beacon, a working radio, an escape plan, a recovery plan etc etc.

You would think there would be safety setups where if oxygen level gets less than XX amount it propels itself upward.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    You would think there would be safety setups where if oxygen level gets less than XX amount it propels itself upward.

There's some pretty low tech stuff on that sub. Like in order to release the ballast or balance tubes, the crew has to rock back and forth on the walls of sub or something.

So if they've lost all communication which was done by text, my best guess is that the sub imploded due to the pressure around them. That would actually be best case scenario. That way it was instant.

The ocean is so big, if they aren't dead already odds are they will be.

Final destination? Ouch.

yeah it's been on my mind. i can't imagine what those folks went through or are still going through. best case scenario they're already dead from a quick implosion. otherwise, they're either starving, suffering from dehydration and/or hypothermia with no communication and little hope all while sitting in pitch black deep sea in a 6*9 sub soaked in piss and shit slowly losing their minds with four other people also slowly losing their minds knowing death will be slow and imminent.

i can't imagine a worse scenario.

you know, these people sign a waiver before the expedition warning that the sub is experimental and could result in serious injury, disability, emotional trauma and death. they knew what they were getting into, but i couldn't wish this shit on anybody man.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    It's amazing with expense involved making this voyage possible that there isn't some kind of tracking device. And I thought it almost comical that that despite costing millions to build, the sub is controlled by an Xbox controller. Not even a factory controller, an aftermarket one
    The sub apparently had issues with it reported in 2018. They didn't address them and kept running the sub. Probably to keep cashing on it rather than spend money to fix. I guess this was bound to happen - now the company will probably go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    US nuclear subs use Xbox controllers as well. True story.

Apparently it's been found.

Edit: I think I got trolled by someone. Rick roll'd, but I see nothing funny about it.

I heard that if the 21 foot sub imploded at that depth, that if they found it, it would have been crushed to the size of a garbage can. I would never open it if they found it. I wouldn't want to see that mess inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I heard that if the 21 foot sub imploded at that depth, that if they found it, it would have been crushed to the size of a garbage can. I would never open it if they found it. I wouldn't want to see that mess inside.