Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ya'll keeping up with that missing submersible sub that was visiting the Titanic?

an interview worth your time if you're interested.

Default Re: Ya'll keeping up with that missing submersible sub that was visiting the Titanic?

36 hours of breathable air left. What a scary situation to be in

Some are suggesting that the sub may have imploded from the pressure which means an instant death for the passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I heard that if the 21 foot sub imploded at that depth, that if they found it, it would have been crushed to the size of a garbage can. I would never open it if they found it. I wouldn't want to see that mess inside.
    Jesus that's grim

I wonder if there's some shenanigans behind this, since among the passengers there were a lot of very wealthy people. It seems too convenient that the machine had no way of communicating its location if something went wrong, etc. Who will benefit from this tragedy? Who will make money?

And if the sub died in the wreckage, then they're going to be part of the Titanic story, that people will read about hundreds of years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    US nuclear subs use Xbox controllers as well. True story.
    If US nuclear subs use X-Box controller, then I love the idea. I mean why not. Just plug it in through the USB port, and have some backup controllers.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

The fragility of the human species is on display here. It's so easy to die on this planet, and in so many ways, this being one of them. It's so easy to live too. And just the thought of how hopeless we are even on our own planet. We are incapable of rescuing these people. No one can get down there. Only machines. And it takes time. Yet, we can land on the moon. So we have yet to truly conquer Earth.

Well they knew the risk beforehand.

Even if their location was immediately found and they could communicate perfectly, there is no way to rescue them at that depth. So it will just be goodbyes and tell my kids I love them stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    US nuclear subs use Xbox controllers as well. True story.
    i wonder if the rumble feedback function is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs View Post
    36 hours of breathable air left. What a scary situation to be in

Some are suggesting that the sub may have imploded from the pressure which means an instant death for the passengers.
    there's apparently a low chance of that having happened. a higher chance of them having gotten caught on something such as debris from the titanic's wreck or a lesser chance of getting caught on one of those mile-long fishing nets. watch that video i posted.

there's also a higher chance of there having been a leak and losing power.

unfortunately, those higher chance scenarios would obviously lead to a much more agonizing outcome.

I've never understood thrill seekers. I wouldn't do this if they paid me $250K.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    I've never understood thrill seekers. I wouldn't do this if they paid me $250K.
    I don't think there's any dollar amount they can pay me to sit in a tube 2 miles down in pitch black darkness where mother nature and physics want to kill me in a fraction of a second.

It's easier to save someone in space than it is under water here back on Earth.

And for real, what were they even doing it for? It wasn't for vast amounts of money, or to find a cure for cancer, it was to look at a fcking ship wreck.

Estimated 20 hours of remaining oxygen.

Apparently one of the passengers aboard is a former British naval captain or something like that, who has visited titanic numerous times, with tons of experience.

I am still dumbfounded that such intelligent and seemingly responsible people would take on a voyage with no means of contacting the outside world, no escape plan, no emergency plan, no recovery plan, no extraction plan etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE View Post
    Estimated 20 hours of remaining oxygen.

Apparently one of the passengers aboard is a former British naval captain or something like that, who has visited titanic numerous times, with tons of experience.

I am still dumbfounded that such intelligent and seemingly responsible people would take on a voyage with no means of contacting the outside world, no escape plan, no emergency plan, no recovery plan, no extraction plan etc etc.
    Everyone has their own tolerance for risk and adventure.

jesus, horrifying

The sub sucks. They should have gotten a better one but that would probably be even more costly.