Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Everyone swears by Goodfellas, but Donnie Brasco shits on that movie a hundred times

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Everyone swears by Goodfellas, but Donnie Brasco shits on that movie a hundred ti

Hmm, kind of a interesting take, and it’s tough because i’ve seen donnie brasco once maybe twice and goodfellas more times then I can count. I was surprised by donnie brasco and liked it a lot though. I would say goodfellas is more of a mob/action movie when donnie brasco is more of a mob film with a bit more depth.

Default Re: Everyone swears by Goodfellas, but Donnie Brasco shits on that movie a hundred ti

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Hmm, kind of a interesting take, and it’s tough because i’ve seen donnie brasco once maybe twice and goodfellas more times then I can count. I was surprised by donnie brasco and liked it a lot though. I would say goodfellas is more of a mob/action movie when donnie brasco is more of a mob film with a bit more depth.
    thanks for the crackhead perspective

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    thanks for the crackhead perspective
    thanks for being a goofy beaner we get to laugh at every day

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Hell no. I enjoyed Donnie Brasco, enjoyed the hell out of Pacino's performance but everyone else felt like a miscast.

Michael Madsen & Johnny Depp just didn't do it for me, the characters in Goodfellas all felt more real, like actual mobsters.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Hell no. I enjoyed Donnie Brasco, enjoyed the hell out of Pacino's performance but everyone else felt like a miscast.

Michael Madsen & Johnny Depp just didn't do it for me, the characters in Goodfellas all felt more real, like actual mobsters.
    Damn. So many different perspectives. There is a huge contingent of people out there that think this was Depp's best role of his entire career. I'm inclined to agree.

And then I think the reason why I don't like Goodfellas as much is that it isn't as dark and grim as this movie is. Too many comedic elements in that film.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Damn. So many different perspectives. There is a huge contingent of people out there that think this was Depp's best role of his entire career. I'm inclined to agree.

And then I think the reason why I don't like Goodfellas as much is that it isn't as dark and grim as this movie is. Too many comedic elements in that film.
    He wasn't bad per say. Just didn't come across as a FBI guy trying to act like a gangster.

The real Joe Pistone has a little gangster in him.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    thanks for being a goofy beaner we get to laugh at every day
    when you look in the mirror, the mirror laughs at you

Why can't people just enjoy shit without comparing everything? They are both good.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Why can't people just enjoy shit without comparing everything? They are both good.

Aint no way you can say to me a Lincoln is better than a Cadillac.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Poopsie thinks he's a movie critic.

Objectively, Goodfellas is probably the better movie, but I still enjoy Donnie Brasco more, if that makes sense. It just felt grittier and more real. Goodfellas glorified the mafia lifestyle; Donnie Brasco focused on the difficulties that a common mafia foot soldier had to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    Objectively, Goodfellas is probably the better movie, but I still enjoy Donnie Brasco more, if that makes sense. It just felt grittier and more real. Goodfellas glorified the mafia lifestyle; Donnie Brasco focused on the difficulties that a common mafia foot soldier had to deal with.
    I also look at performances when I compare both movies. To me, it's hard to top Pacino's. Pacino's character as Lefty Guns was Oscar-worthy. Dude just transforms into a different person with ease.

NBA Superstar

Nahh it doesn't shit on it. They're very different movies that are great in their own right.

I think Goodfellas has more replay value.

Ehh I prefer Goodfellas. Everything about that movie is top-tier. Donnie Brasco was good though