Default You ever get that phone call, that someone you're close to is dead?

I've experienced it once.... it was the Chief of police that called.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: You ever get that phone call, that someone you're close to is dead?

No, but I remember in my 10th b-day party on New Years Eve my family got a call that my older brother was in a serious car accident and is in the hospital. I remember hearing my Mom scream, pretty much everyone left early cause we had to go to the hospital. He survived but has a scar on his head from that accident to this day. This all happened when the year 2000 was approaching too when everyone thought the world was gonna end. Lol

Yes. There were twin boys and a daughter that lived next door to me. Grew up together, did everything. In 2009, I got a call from a different friend of mine asking if he had heard about one of the twins. I said no. He said that he had died earlier in the day in a motorcycle accident. My body froze for a few seconds as my mind processed what happened. The friend had called me because he knew how close we were and if there was anyone that could confirm it, it would be me.

So far in life, that's the closest person to me personally that has passed away. Thankfully both of my parents are still alive, and there will be a time when they pass on and I'll have that feeling of grief again. But for now, having one of my best friends that I grew up with, pass away and getting that call will continue to haunt me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

my sister - my dad was going

my mum - my step dad was going

my wife - my mum was going

it is part of life

Had a love of my life leave at 61

had numerous friends go as well

Police called me to tell me one of my best friends was killed
    Just this past December my sister in law called me at work to tell me my dad died suddenly in his sleep

These were tough times for me and it's never a good time to hear these things.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I got it 4 months ago. One of my best friends suddenly died. I still can't believe it. There's such a void in my life now and I think about him every day.

I got to make that call. I was in the chain of people but wew. Character building as a teen, still remember are you sure? Uh yeah, pretty sure. Then again and I started to doubt. Life is truly crazy. That’s why we should not waste time on bs. Make jokes but be funny, not hateful. Ish is like the bro-est high school or dorm.

Death or tragedy can happen at any time. Life can change in an instant. And yea I guess I got calls about other people but I was there so recently that it wasn’t a surprise. The one i speak of was a shock.

-Smak

About 6 years ago one of my best friends dad called me to say that my friend had passed... we had been friends for almost 40 years (we met in 1st grade and stayed close ever since). In the past year or two I have lost a few elderly family members that were very close to me, but I feel a different kind of pain over losing this friend because unlike my elderly fam members his death was so unexpected and I never got to say bye or do any kind of mental pre-processing. I had a very vivid lucid dream last year where I was able to give him a big hug and talk a while, which helped a lot.