Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: The Incredibly Satisfying Death of Disney

Worst thing Disney did was buy Vice. I remember discovering Vice in the early 2010's and was blown away with the documentaries and stories they did. Once they went woke it completely destroyed them. They filed for bankruptcy a couple of months ago.

They need to cut out the crap properties and go lean for a bit. Focus purely on profit - **** trying to influence society for now. Display some bipartisan flavor in their media for a few years.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddywebby View Post
    Revenue doesn’t equal profits though. And the biggest measure of success/failure of a public company is its stock price and at the current price the stock is close to the lows it had in the middle of the Covid lockdowns. Over the last 5 and 10 year periods it has significantly underperformed the market and all that underperformance came in the last 1 1/2 or so. If you bought the stock at the Covid lows, you’d be up 5-7% right now. If you bought the SP500 at the Covid low, you’d be up over 100%.
    First off their last earnings reports shows profit growth over 100% from last year. But second overall revenue is more telling than profit. Lack of profit could just mean they are investing more into the company. If overall revenue is growing that means the company is healthy.

Stock prices mean little and can be massively over valued or under valued.

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    First off their last earnings reports shows profit growth over 100% from last year. But second overall revenue is more telling than profit. Lack of profit could just mean they are investing more into the company. If overall revenue is growing that means the company is healthy.

Not true at all. If increased revenue is the result of an abruptly inflated dollar, while costs are going up and overall brand marketshare is going down, the company is probably not healthy.

I know it’s your shtick on this account to be a woke contrarian Jizzo, but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Not true at all. If increased revenue is the result of an abruptly inflated dollar, while costs are going up and overall brand marketshare is going down, the company is probably not healthy.

I know it’s your shtick on this account to be a woke contrarian Jizzo, but come on.
    Inflation helped corporate giants like Disney more than anyone else, all of their assets inflated.

Inflation split the haves and the have-nots. Rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post

I don’t care enough about this so I won’t drag this out but you are incorrect in both that revenue is more important (it is more important than profit in growth and emerging technology companies, of which Disney is neither) and that Disney could be reinvesting profits into the company (they are not, they are actually divesting in some areas and have come to the realization that Disney plus will not catch up to Netflix anytime soon).

Stock prices mean a lot. Short term moves are irrelevant but a stock down in a 5 year period when the market is up triple digits effects it’s ability for things like takeovers, compensation of top employees/executives, allows large shareholders to pressure the board to do something that may not be in the company’s best interest long term etc.

From what I can see, the stock price is down simply because it was previously overvalued. Perhaps now it is undervalued

If you want to ignore overall revenue and focus on profits that is up as well. But also from what I can see Disney has invested tons in side projects. Again that affects profit, and some of those ventures failed, but doesn't mean the company is about to die.

Superheros will always be a thing. Maybe MCU is losing its luster but they aren't going to disappear.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

You still haven't explained the reason for all the layoffs despite these "profits" you speak of.

Kim possible was an awesome cartoon and toy story was a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Kim possible was an awesome cartoon and toy story was a good movie.
    Grow up.

No u!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Grow up.
    We don't even grow up enough to get out of this place.

I vaguely recall seeing Chewing mention that he subscribes to Disney+.

These guys never put their money where their mouth is.

They fukked up Star Wars, drove the final nail into Indiana Jones, shoved identity politics in the MCU while diluting that brand with a series of mostly 'meh' Disney plus shows( as admitted by none other than Bob Iger). I don't know where they go from here, but growing up in the 80's/90's when the name 'Disney' was pretty much platinum and anything they produced printed money, it's been quite the spectacular fall from grace, at least in terms of perception.

Is there a realistic company out there that can make Disney an offer for their LucasFilms projects? Primarily their Star Wars projects. I mean, selling off the LucasFilms wing of Disney would be a huge embarrassment to them, but it will allow them to focus on other projects they're actually good at and perhaps not be stretched too thin.