Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: T-Mac on why Michael Jordan is better than LeBron James

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    There is no distinction. The objective is to win. If you believe that Player A gives your team a better chance to win than Player B, that means:

- You believe Player A is better than Player B
    - You are obligated to pick Player A before Player B in a draft

If McGrady is being honest in saying he would draft Lebron ahead of anyone else to build his team around, then yes he is all but admitting that he thinks Lebron is the greatest of all time. It's the same thing.

Personally I just don't see the argument. MJ's greatness was truly one of a kind.
    There can be a distinction. Who you think is the best and who you'd rather play with can be different people. I'd imagine Kobe would admit that Shaq was a greater player than Pau Gasol but I'd bet he'd rather play his career with Pau. Because he'd get more credit winning with Pau than he would winning with Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    If it's true that LeBron is a better "floor raiser" as you put it and that Jordan is a better "ceiling raiser", would that then not make the term 'better' at least somewhat subjective?
    Not entirerly accurate.

If you want to win Conference championships, Lebron.

But if you want to win NBA championships, Jordan.

There is no distinction. The objective is to win. If you believe that Player A gives your team a better chance to win than Player B, that means:

- You believe Player A is better than Player B
    - You are obligated to pick Player A before Player B in a draft

If McGrady is being honest in saying he would draft Lebron ahead of anyone else to build his team around, then yes he is all but admitting that he thinks Lebron is the greatest of all time. It's the same thing.

Personally I just don't see the argument. MJ's greatness was truly one of a kind.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion - just as TMac and I are ours.

I'll use my favorite player as an example. With Duncan, you got 19 years of excellence, a player willing to take less on his contract to get more talent (important in a small market), versatile (C/PF), gets along with all types of players, loyal, sacrificed his stats so Parker and Manu could grow/develop - resulting in winning 5 rings. OTOH, there are any number of players you could argue who are "greater" than TD whether going by personal stats, peak, etc. The intangible qualities that are not quantitative or measurable contribute to winning too.

We do agree on MJ as GOAT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion - just as TMac and I are ours.

I'll use my favorite player as an example. With Duncan, you got 19 years of excellence, a player willing to take less on his contract to get more talent (important in a small market), versatile (C/PF), gets along with all types of players, loyal, sacrificed his stats so Parker and Manu could grow/develop - resulting in winning 5 rings. OTOH, there are any number of players you could argue who are "greater" than TD whether going by personal stats, peak, etc. The intangible qualities that are not quantitative or measurable contribute to winning too.

We do agree on MJ as GOAT
    Right, but I didn't know we were having a discussion about which guys we think we might get along with better. I just thought we were talking about the value a player brings to the table and how it translates to winning.

I just feel that if I pick Jordan first, I'm giving my team the best chance to win. It doesn't matter who I plug around him. That's what makes him the GOAT to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny32 View Post
    Tracy McGrady: “I think if you want to start a team, I’m going to go with LeBron because of him being able to take lesser talent and elevate those guys… Because of his pass-first mentality, being able to elevate his team in terms of their style of play. Mike is going out there trying to get 30 and 40 points. He’s not looking to make his team better.”

Cry moar, limp dick.
    Fuming

Right, but I didn't know we were having a discussion about which guys we think we might get along with better. I just thought we were talking about the value a player brings to the table and how it translates to winning.

I just feel that if I pick Jordan first, I'm giving my team the best chance to win. It doesn't matter who I plug around him. That's what makes him the GOAT to me.
    To you and me, for whom MJ is such a clear, undisputed GOAT, that may be the case. In TMAC's case though, maybe MJ and Lebron are closer and then I could see where he would choose Lebron to build a team around (his team hopping ways would be a major negative factor here).

even though t-mac's opinion is irrelevant, his reasoning is so dumb, lebron is far better than jordan in that aspect of the game too, facing elimination, game 7s, etc. lebron is also facing real competition, not washed up players/grocery bag clerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keno View Post
    even though t-mac's opinion is irrelevant, his reasoning is so dumb, lebron is far better than jordan in that aspect of the game too, facing elimination, game 7s, etc. lebron is also facing real competition, not washed up players/grocery bag clerks.
    Real competition like midget JJ Barrea? Who Dwyane Wade said they had no answer for? LMFAO

https://youtube.com/shorts/3fpeBha9tGw?feature=sharea

Only people who consider LeFraud as the GOAT are his stans, everyone else, no matter who their favorite player was, picks MJ.

Sorry

Banned

fax hurt their lil feelings...as you can see above.

NBA rookie of the year

It's not just "clutch gene" that simplifies it. Jordan's mid-range game is just built for the playoffs, his ability to manufacture a basket here, a basket there when the team badly needed it staked the Bulls in many games and kept them afloat long enough for other parts of the offence to kick in.

It's an underrated aspect of basketball, you saw it in the Phoenix-LAC series briefly when Kawhi was cooking Durant and Booker ... because his mid-range game is basically a poor man's version of Jordan's, but you could see how effectively it was it a tighter playoff style of basketball. Unfortunately for him he legs are toast and he injured himself or the Clippers probably win that series.

National High School Star

LOL at better facing elimination

It's like saying "Look how good i didn't get things f*cked up at the last minute"