Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Judged only by appearance you would be more wrong about this guy than anyone else.

Well other than Larry Bird if you didn’t already know Larry Bird. But this guy off a glance you would assume could never play today…and you’d be very wrong:

6’10” something from 285-310 depending on when you ask. Classic 80s slow footed bruiser by appearance. And to be fair he was half of a tandem known as the “Beef brothers” with Rick Mahorn who would absolutely flatten you:

But on the other hand…..

Waaaaay quicker than you think, could run the floor like a forward, pass, shoot, and wreck you one on one in the post and occasionally facing up.

So he’s my second “old guy you don’t need to know” if the week following Jack Sikma. They aren’t like…important figures…just interesting characters and generally unknown by the masses who only acknowledge 3 players per era.

Whatever you may think of him at a glance I promise you if you put a small ball lineup out there he might give it 38/24. Get cooked on a switch? Yes. But half the scorers in the league get hunted on D. At least he would be considerate enough to crack someone’s head after they drove by him so he doesn’t leave the game alone when you pull him out.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Judged only by appearance you would be more wrong about this guy than anyone else

Anybody with a mustache and jawline like that isn't to be ****ed with. especially at 300 lbs.

Default Re: Judged only by appearance you would be more wrong about this guy than anyone else

I'm surprised you went with Bird over Jokic, he'd have to be the top choice for this category.

BTW... this wasn't really a foul. MJ tried to posterize him and he went straight up. Just because you fell doesn't mean it's a foul. He was punching above his weight. Sadly today that'd be a flagrant when it should be a no call.

Jeff R dominated Kevin McHale I think in 83 or 84 playoffs.

He could definitely play today. Easily. I agree.

I was reading up on Ruland a week or two ago. Apparently, he and Moses used to go at it during training. That may or may not be correct as Jeff had many injuries. But I think at one point they were on the same team. Anyways, if I recall a SI article said he was the closest guy to Moses as a rebounder. And his Achilles heel was his short arms. If only he had long arms!

George Mikan was in many ways like a Jeff Ruland/Kevin McHale hybrid. 6'10", 260-270+ pounds without lifting any weights, and a freakish wingspan. Incredibly physical and strong like Ruland but much longer and defensively threatening like McHale.

Here are some clips that display Mikan's athleticism/what he was capable of:

Defending a smaller player out on the perimeter:

Closing out on a shooter, blocking his shot, tipping the ball, and gaining possession:

Securing a defensive rebound and leading the break:

A Dirk-like fade:

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    BTW... this wasn't really a foul. MJ tried to posterize him and he went straight up. Just because you fell doesn't mean it's a foul. He was punching above his weight. Sadly today that'd be a flagrant when it should be a no call.
    That was actually the first dunk attempt of Jordans career during his first game. Bet he thought it would be an easy victim. Not only did he get brick walled the ref called a travel for how he came out of the triple threat. Neither of those would likely go the defenses way these days even though they tried pushing the verticality rule a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I'm surprised you went with Bird over Jokic, he'd have to be the top choice for this category.
    Yea similar levels of big fat faced white guy who usually gets disrespected at a glance. Ruland has that brutal 80s style on top of it though. Just feeeeeels slower and cumbersome though he wasn’t at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    That was actually the first dunk attempt of Jordans career during his first game. Bet he thought it would be an easy victim. Not only did he get brick walled the ref called a travel for how he came out of the triple threat. Neither of those would likely go the defenses way these days even though they tried pushing the verticality rule a while back.
    I can't imagine what would've happened if this Ruland wild wild west cowboy type guy gave MJ the Bynum treatment.

We might have never known the GOAT.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

the mechanic/plumber shit is dumb but this dude legit looks like a plumber

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    the mechanic/plumber shit is dumb but this dude legit looks like a plumber

he does partially because he just looks real. He’s not trying to look like anything but what he is. That’s mostly how it went back then and it makes them look bad compared to modern athletes who act like models. This picture here?

Same game from the gif I posted of Ruland smashing Jordan. Him and Ruland would be the front court at times. Looks like a plumber and a vice principal ready to retire. But guess what?

Hes 3 years younger than Steph Curry is right now. Actually went on to be a congressman. Looks like he had been in Washington for 30 years already but he wasn’t even old enough to run. He’s 31-32 looking like that.

37 in Jeff Rulands day:

45 now with hair plugs, 50K in dental work, a ton of dye, plastic surgery, and 800 dollar skin creams:

Looks like a plumber and a vice principal ready to retire. But guess what?

Hes 3 years younger than Steph Curry is right now. Actually went on to be a congressman. Looks like he had been in Washington for 30 years already but he wasn’t even old enough to run. He’s 31-32 looking like that.

Life was much physically harder back then.