Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: D wade, dirk, tony Parker and pau hall of fame speeches

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Duncan was first team all nba, and had Ray Allen not made that shot would have been FMVP. And he’s team Duncan. Even if you want to argue that Parker was the best player (I would disagree) he was not the leader.
    Parker was the best scorer at that time. I'd guess Duncan was still more impactful with all he brought to the table

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Parker was the best scorer at that time. I'd guess Duncan was still more impactful with all he brought to the table
    I would confidently say that.

Parker clearly took over as the Spurs engine / takeover guy in 2013.

Id say it balanced out in 2014 again, but to say one or the other was clearly the best that year is wrong.

D-Wade with one of the most boring speeches ever.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    I didn't bother seeing Parkers ( he was the least interesting of the candidates for me), but Wade's seemed the most...rehearsed I guess? Dirk, Pop and Pau's seemed more off the top of their head, at least the delivery. Still, I think boring is a bit harsh. The love he threw Iverson was a nice touch, as was the ending with his dad.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

And what was he supposed to say : thanx , bye.

your apathetic - your boring as my above speech.

I saw Dirk, D-Wade and Pau's speeches, but Dirk's really resonated for whatever reason.

Really liked that he gave Fin and Nash shoutouts, too.

If not for injuries, those Dallas teams could've definitely ringed. Nash might not have beeen 'unleashed' like he was in Phoenix, but those years were certainly his peak. What could have been.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    I saw Dirk, D-Wade and Pau's speeches, but Dirk's really resonated for whatever reason.

Really liked that he gave Fin and Nash shoutouts, too.

If not for injuries, those Dallas teams could've definitely ringed. Nash might not have beeen 'unleashed' like he was in Phoenix, but those years were certainly his peak. What could have been.
    You talking about 03? Potentially. The Spurs were up 2-1 before Dirk got hurt and had taken home court advantage. Series was always going to be a dogfight. People like to say that if Dirk didn't get hurt the Spurs are out but that isn't the case.

Mavs had no answer for Duncan.
    Last edited by ShawkFactory; 08-13-2023 at 09:12 PM.

You talking about 03? Potentially. The Spurs were up 2-1 before Dirk got hurt and had taken home court advantage. Series was always going to be a dogfight. People like to say that if Dirk didn't get hurt the Spurs are out but that isn't the case.

Mavs had no answer for Duncan.

Could have; potentially. Tomato; tomahto.

Of course its not a for sure thing. No hypothetical is lol. That Dallas team absolutely had the pieces to win a ring, though. I actually thought they were better (and DEEPER with NVE/Raef/Bell off the bench) than in 2006. But...Dirk tweaked his knee. C'est la vie.

Generally speaking? I always thought Nash staying was an interesting what if. Offensively, Nash and Dirk were 2 of the highest impact players that decade. Absolute studs on offense. That duo staying together is an obvious problem. For anyone.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Could have; potentially. Tomato; tomahto.

Of course its not a for sure thing. No hypothetical is lol. That Dallas team absolutely had the pieces to win a ring, though. I actually thought they were better (and DEEPER with NVE/Raef/Bell off the bench) than in 2006. But...Dirk tweaked his knee. C'est la vie.

Generally speaking? I always thought Nash staying was an interesting what if. Offensively, Nash and Dirk were 2 of the highest impact players that decade. Absolute studs on offense. That duo staying together is an obvious problem. For anyone.

Of course. Both were far below average or bad defensively though so in a series against the opposite type of team with defenders that slows the pace down it will never be easy. The 06 Spurs were also better than in 03 which is interesting. Sometimes a series plays out weird.

Of course. Both were far below average or bad defensively though so in a series against the opposite type of team with defenders that slows the pace down it will never be easy. The 06 Spurs were also better than in 03 which is interesting. Sometimes a series plays out weird.
    Right, and that type of offensive power also keeps a defense on their heels.

Dirk averaged like 28 a game vs them in 2006. Shot well over 50% too, I believe. With Nash he gets even better looks.

Like you said though. We'll never know how it'd play out.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He and Danny Green carried you guys in 2013. While Duncan was blowing title winning layups, and Manu was a fumbling bumbling wreck, Tony was the only guy on your squad that could create off the dribble against a monster Lebron and Wade perimeter opposition. You should be grateful for him.
    Duncan would easily have won his 4th FMVP if not for Ray Allen's 3. And you are discounting Duncan's defense. Parker was the one in his prime and Duncan way past his.

2013 NBA Finals
    Duncan 19.8 pts 12.1 rebs 1.4 asst 1.4 blks FG% 49 age 36
    Parker 15.7 pts 1.9 rebs 6.4 asst FG% 41.2 age 30
    Green 14 pts 4.1 rebs 1 stl 1.6 blks FG% 44.4 age 25

https://www.basketball-reference.com...s-vs-heat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I didn't bother seeing Parkers ( he was the least interesting of the candidates for me), but Wade's seemed the most...rehearsed I guess? Dirk, Pop and Pau's seemed more off the top of their head, at least the delivery. Still, I think boring is a bit harsh. The love he threw Iverson was a nice touch, as was the ending with his dad.
    Their speeches were entertaining, his wasn't. You'd thing Gabby would coach him to throw in a joke or 2. Was just a bland, rehearsed speech.

Their speeches were entertaining, his wasn't. You'd thing Gabby would coach him to throw in a joke or 2. Was just a bland, rehearsed speech.
    To each their own, I enjoyed it for what it was. Not much point in arguing what you or I personally find entertaining.

It's always interesting to see that parker, despite being younger, got a finals mvp first over kobe.