Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: D wade, dirk, tony Parker and pau hall of fame speeches

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I'm sure you are referring to their '14 team. Come one man, dude averaged around 17 ppg & 5-6 apg, not exactly lighting the world on fire.

The '14 Spurs were alot like the '04 Pistons in a sense that they had no superstars, just a bunch of good players who knew how to play together.
    Knowing how to play with others is part of what makes a player great. Emphasizing winning over individual stats and accolades is also part of what makes a player great.

I'm not saying Parker belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of point guards, but the guy is a multiple time champion and he was an extremely important part of it. That has to count for something.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Knowing how to play with others is part of what makes a player great. Emphasizing winning over individual stats and accolades is also part of what makes a player great.

I'm not saying Parker belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of point guards, but the guy is a multiple time champion and he was an extremely important part of it. That has to count for something.
    it does. It got him into the HOF. Hard to imagine him as an all time great if he's not drafted by the Spurs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    it does. It got him into the HOF. Hard to imagine him as an all time great if he's not drafted by the Spurs
    You said you would rather have Parker over Westbrook. Why?

How can you say that but insist that Westbrook is still better?

You said you would rather have Parker over Westbrook. Why?

How can you say that but insist that Westbrook is still better?
    I would not want anything to do with the shitshow that is Westbrook unless he was coming off the bench for not a ton of money. Parker is a better team player. The Spurs were all about the team. With Westbrook the Spurs would have won nothing. I didn't insist that Westbrook was better. He wouldn't make my top 75 players of guys I'd want on my team. But his numbers are going to put him on the top 75 rather I think much of the guy or not

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    I would not want anything to do with the shitshow that is Westbrook unless he was coming off the bench for not a ton of money. Parker is a better team player. The Spurs were all about the team. With Westbrook the Spurs would have won nothing. I didn't insist that Westbrook was better. He wouldn't make my top 75 players of guys I'd want on my team. But his numbers are going to put him on the top 75 rather I think much of the guy or not
    I agree with you, but this is precisely my point.

When it came to picking the Top 75, it's clear the committee valued individual stats and accolades above all else. That's cool and all, but that's NOT what constitutes a great player when it comes to a team sport.

Tony Parker is not some pantheon great, but he's clearly better than a guy like Westbrook imo. That's all I was saying. He SHOULD have made the Top 75.

When it came to picking the Top 75, it's clear the committee valued individual stats and accolades above all else. That's cool and all, but that's NOT what constitutes a great player when it comes to a team sport.

Tony Parker is not some pantheon great, but he's clearly better than a guy like Westbrook imo. That's all I was saying. He SHOULD have made the Top 75.
    Westbrooke won a league MVP - Parker only ever got as high as #5 in MVP voting. IMO, that's what would put him over Parker for NBA top 75. Your argument is similar to the who would you start your team with vs GOAT/better player one.

BTW, I was not a Parker fan - by far the most selfish of the Spurs' big 3. Shot 1-12 in the first 3 quarters of the last game of the 2014 Finals - you'd think you'd hold back if you're having a bad night but kept shooting. Went 6-7 in the last quarter but the game was already won by then.
    Last edited by rmt; 08-13-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    Westbrooke won a league MVP - Parker only ever got as high as #5 in MVP voting. IMO, that's what would put him over Parker for NBA top 75. Your argument is similar to the who would you start your team with vs GOAT/better player one.
    And? It's a media award. It's totally meaningless as it pertains to a discussion like this. You don't win MVP, you're awarded MVP. That's like saying one movie is better than another because it "won" Best Picture.

And yes, if you're saying that you would rather choose Player A over Player B for your team... then you are admitting that Player A is better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Saw the Dirk one. Very nice. Funny ah too.
    The way he poked fun at Kidd and Nash was hilarious.

These speeches are basically comedy roasts plus gratitude.

Too many guys that were better than him in the same era. He just has the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I don't think Parker was ever underrated. I always found him a bit one dimensional when you compared him to the other great guards, but he was often discussed by fans and media. If he played on another team I doubt he would be in the hall of fame right now.
    Hes one of the best paint finishing guards ever. It's not like he was being bird fed points or opportunity. He was a creator. Extremely cunning and skilled basketball player to do what he did with such a non imposing physical frame. Tony Parker finished top 10 in MVP voting and was a single miracle sequence away from being the leader on a title winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post

BTW, I was not a Parker fan - by far the most selfish of the Spurs' big 3. Shot 1-12 in the first 3 quarters of the last game of the 2014 Finals - you'd think you'd hold back if you're having a bad night but kept shooting. Went 6-7 in the last quarter but the game was already won by then.
    He and Danny Green carried you guys in 2013. While Duncan was blowing title winning layups, and Manu was a fumbling bumbling wreck, Tony was the only guy on your squad that could create off the dribble against a monster Lebron and Wade perimeter opposition. You should be grateful for him.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Hes one of the best paint finishing guards ever. It's not like he was being bird fed points or opportunity. He was a creator. Extremely cunning and skilled basketball player to do what he did with such a non imposing physical frame. Tony Parker finished top 10 in MVP voting and was a single miracle sequence away from being the leader on a title winning team.
    Duncan was the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Duncan was the leader.
    No he wasn't. Tony Parker finished ahead of Tim Duncan in MVP voting in 2013 and was the only guy on the whole offense that could create off the dribble with Manu shitting the bed. He was banging clutch jumpers on the Heat too and it took a 1% chance level choke for them to lose being up like they were with 30 seconds left in the season. Which wasn't parkers fault. Kawhi and I believe Manu missed free throws to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Duncan was the leader.
    and Ginobli is an all time great despite the lack of accolades. Parker was a very good guard that was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Jazz fans still talk about drafting Raul Lopez instead of him but Lopez was a better fit for the Jazz. Unfortunately his knees didn't cooperate. Would Parker have been an all time great if he'd joined a crappy Jazz team at 19? Sloan certainly wouldn't have been starting him. Probably wouldn't have played him at all. Deron had Keith McCleod and Milt Palacio playing ahead of him as a rookie

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    No he wasn't. Tony Parker finished ahead of Tim Duncan in MVP voting in 2013 and was the only guy on the whole offense that could create off the dribble with Manu shitting the bed. He was banging clutch jumpers on the Heat too and it took a 1% chance level ch9ke for them to lose being up like they were with 30 seconds left in the season.
    Duncan was first team all nba, and had Ray Allen not made that shot would have been FMVP. And he’s team Duncan. Even if you want to argue that Parker was the best player (I would disagree) he was not the leader.