Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default US struggle against Slovenia - win 92-62

US barely beat a Donic and Dragic less Slovenia team by 30 points.

Slovenia without Doncic and Dragic is a c-level team, very bad, so it doesn't say much. This Slovenia team with no Doncic, and probably with, has no business being in the World Cup.

The US struggled from 3, shooting only 9 of 33, but their defense did look very solid. The addition of JJJ seems like a really good choice. The US guards, led by Brunson, Halliburton and Edwards looked quite solid and good at getting into the pain.

Tonight will play Spain a much different challenge.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: US struggle against Slovenia - win 92-62

You can't barely win when you win by 30 unless you are claiming they had a 30 point explosion in the final 30 seconds. You can feel like there were bad signs but that's not the same thing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    US barely beat a Donic and Dragic less Slovenia team by 30 points.

Slovenia without Doncic and Dragic is a c-level team, very bad, so it doesn't say much. This Slovenia team with no Doncic, and probably with, has no business being in the World Cup.

The US struggled from 3, shooting only 9 of 33, but their defense did look very solid. The addition of JJJ seems like a really good choice. The US guards, led by Brunson, Halliburton and Edwards looked quite solid and good at getting into the pain.

Tonight will play Spain a much different challenge.

Saw a basketball once

92-62. That sure was a close Game.
    I´m glad that the Buzzer Beater by the US Team was worth 32 pts under FIBA rules.
    Otherwise that could have gone into Overtime.

Nice win today. This isn't the 2019 team that's for sure!

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Nice win today. This isn't the 2019 team that's for sure!

Spain seemed to hang around well for most of the game and were up in the late 3rd quarter.

I've only seen highlights, but the US should hope that JJJ stays healthy, because he is dominating the offensive boards against both Slovenia and Spain.

Brunson is also a beast and a leader.

If either of those guys get into foul trouble or injuries then the US team is going to struggle.

It seems to be a much better constructed team though.

Spain seemed to hang around well for most of the game and were up in the late 3rd quarter.

I've only seen highlights, but the US should hope that JJJ stays healthy, because he is dominating the offensive boards against both Slovenia and Spain.

Brunson is also a beast and a leader..

If either of those guys get into foul trouble or injuries then the US team is going to struggle.

It seems to be a much better constructed team though.
    not the Spain we're used to. I think only Rudi Fernandez is left from the old guard. Not sure they are the #1 team

Barely won by 30 points

Very good NBA starter

not the Spain we're used to. I think only Rudi Fernandez is left from the old guard. Not sure they are the #1 team
    Yeah, they're undersized most important, which is not what we're used to seeing, but they only have Hernangomez as center it seems like.

They do have some really, really good teamplay and many sharpshooters.

I think their lack of size will be an issue though.

Overall, the US seems to be favorites. Jokic and Giannis are out, so there's no real contender. Slovenia is a third rate team without Luka. They'd have to be extremely lucky to win in the final rounds.

Yeah, they're undersized most important, which is not what we're used to seeing, but they only have Hernangomez as center it seems like.

They do have some really, really good teamplay and many sharpshooters.

I think their lack of size will be an issue though.

Overall, the US seems to be favorites. Jokic and Giannis are out, so there's no real contender. Slovenia is a third rate team without Luka. They'd have to be extremely lucky to win in the final rounds.
    have my doubts. Reminds me too much of the teams before the redeem team. Young guys. Kerr will deserve a lot of credit if he can win with them

Only on ISH is a 30 point blowout a "struggle" lol

Never change yall

Very good NBA starter

have my doubts. Reminds me too much of the teams before the redeem team. Young guys. Kerr will deserve a lot of credit if he can win with them
    They have fixed their two main issues with Brunson and JJJ though, but yeah, they weren't dominant against Spain, so everything is possible, ball bounces the wrong way a couple times.

They have fixed their two main issues with Brunson and JJJ though, but yeah, they weren't dominant against Spain, so everything is possible, ball bounces the wrong way a couple times.
    Didn't expect them to be dominate the #1 team on the road. Nice win

Brunson is maybe the idea FIBA lead guard. He can take the increase perimeter physicality, and he has a great midrange/ in-between game to foil the extra rim defense (from not having a defensive 3-second rule)

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    Brunson is maybe the idea FIBA lead guard. He can take the increase perimeter physicality, and he has a great midrange/ in-between game to foil the extra rim defense (from not having a defensive 3-second rule)
    Correct.

Well, I've been pro-Brunson even when he was with Mavs, because he is a leader and very controlled.

His flaws are also less bad in FIBA, such as being small, because of Def-3 seconds and packed paints, if he gets beaten, he doesn't automatically give up a bucket. His lack of fancy passing and playmaking also is less important, because FIBA relies more on team passing than on PnR and outlet passes. The FIBA guard is the original combo guard, with the caveat that the FIBA guard also must be a strong tactical and strategic mind.