Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jokic Stan

Default What All-Time GOATS were Drafted to Bad Situations?

Of the top of my head, I've got MJ, Lebron, Kareem, Shaq, Bird (Celtics are a GOAT org though).

Anyone else drafted to bad situations?

I know guys like Magic, Duncan, and Kobe were drafted to GREAT situations from the beginning.

Good college starter ELITEpower23's Avatar

Default Re: What All-Time GOATS were Drafted to Bad Situations?

I always love when people say "Duncan/Kobe are loyal bro!"

Duncan was drafted under Coach Pop and David Robinson lol Then picked up Parker, Ginobli, Kawhi along the way. Why would he leave?

Kobe was drafted under Coach PJax and got Shaq. Then picked up Horry, Odom, Gasol, along the way. Why would he leave?

I might add Dirk to the list if you are calling him All-Time like as in all-time top 25 ish? Otherwise your list is pretty good OP.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    Of the top of my head, I've got MJ, Lebron, Kareem, Shaq, Bird (Celtics are a GOAT org though).

Anyone else drafted to bad situations?

I know guys like Magic, Duncan, and Kobe were drafted to GREAT situations from the beginning.
    Kareem, Bird and Shaq's situation all became good very quickly into their careers. Only MJ and LeBron really had a protracted struggle and Jordan saw it pay off completely by year 7 whereas LeBron had to take matters into his own hands because the situatiomn continued to be bad. Among GOAT candidates, LeBron was easily drafted into the worst situation.

Jokic Stan

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Kareem, Bird and Shaq's situation all became good very quickly into their careers. Only MJ and LeBron really had a protracted struggle and Jordan saw it pay off completely by year 7 whereas LeBron had to take matters into his own hands because the situatiomn continued to be bad. Among GOAT candidates, LeBron was easily drafted into the worst situation.
    I know those three players ended up getting some supporting talent, but to Bird and Kareem's credit, they absolutely helped their teams have massive turnarounds as rookies. Shaq also too, but Magic ended up 41-41 his rookie year.

Also, I really don't think you can factually state that Lebron was "easily" drafted into a worse situation than MJ. I agree that Lebron and MJ had the worse two starting teams for sure.

Curry & KG

Banned

Cleveland is referred to as the mistake by the lake. No star in their prime was signing up to play in northeast Ohio...even with the most unselfish superstar since magic on the roster. LeBron clearly went to a worse situation than the lil guy in Chicago.

KG never really had any success in his career until he went to Boston.

Outside of 2004, it was relatively rough for KG and the Wolves.

National High School Star

Dr J...drafted by the Bucks while in conflict with the Squires and having a million dollar deal with Atlanta

Rick Barry would have been a top ten player all time if he was the territorial pick for the Knicks and not Bill Bradley.

Lebron James obviously Cleveland was never going to field a title team without serious work.

Some guys where drafted just to be box office attractions...Pete Maravich, Tiny Archibald, and Oscar Robertson

John Stockton was in a bad situation in Utah as a second string PG behind an All-Star...and they drafted a PG the year after him as well.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Dr J...drafted by the Bucks while in conflict with the Squires and having a million dollar deal with Atlanta

Rick Barry would have been a top ten player all time if he was the territorial pick for the Knicks and not Bill Bradley.

Lebron James obviously Cleveland was never going to field a title team without serious work.

Some guys where drafted just to be box office attractions...Pete Maravich, Tiny Archibald, and Oscar Robertson

John Stockton was in a bad situation in Utah as a second string PG behind an All-Star...and they drafted a PG the year after him as well.
    Stockton was better than the all star from the first time I saw him. Certainly Frank Layden was a bad situation unless you were stiffs like Hansen and Eaton. They drafted Stockton's future backup in the 4th round(another stiff). Not sure why that was mentioned? Wouldn't say going straight to a playoff team is necessarily bad though

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Stockton was better than the all star from the first time I saw him. Certainly Frank Layden was a bad situation unless you were stiffs like Hansen and Eaton. They drafted Stockton's future backup in the 4th round(another stiff). Not sure why that was mentioned? Wouldn't say going straight to a playoff team is necessarily bad though
    Stockton had to outperform an all-star PG to get a career that's a much worse situation than a superstar getting drafted and having a team built around them (Jordan, Shaq)

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEpower23 View Post
    I always love when people say "Duncan/Kobe are loyal bro!"

Duncan was drafted under Coach Pop and David Robinson lol Then picked up Parker, Ginobli, Kawhi along the way. Why would he leave?

Kobe was drafted under Coach PJax and got Shaq. Then picked up Horry, Odom, Gasol, along the way. Why would he leave?

I might add Dirk to the list if you are calling him All-Time like as in all-time top 25 ish? Otherwise your list is pretty good OP.
    Subtle troll about Kobe. If it's not it's pretty telling.

Curry

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Stockton had to outperform an all-star PG to get a career that's a much worse situation than a superstar getting drafted and having a team built around them (Jordan, Shaq)
    No he had to wait for a comedian to get a clue. As I said I thought he was better than Green from day 1. They wasted the first couple years of his career and ended up losing Green in the expansion draft instead of getting something for him.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    I know those three players ended up getting some supporting talent, but to Bird and Kareem's credit, they absolutely helped their teams have massive turnarounds as rookies. Shaq also too, but Magic ended up 41-41 his rookie year.

Also, I really don't think you can factually state that Lebron was "easily" drafted into a worse situation than MJ. I agree that Lebron and MJ had the worse two starting teams for sure.
    Correct me if I am wrong but Magic went to a 47 win team ( a playoff team) and helped improve LA to a 60 win team as a rookie = a 13 game turn around and helped LA win the championship that year (1980)

Quote Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but Magic went to a 47 win team ( a playoff team) and helped improve LA to a 60 win team as a rookie = a 13 game turn around and helped LA win the championship that year (1980)
    The team had two (maybe three because Cooper is on short lists) hall of famers