Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someone who's never talked about but was up there with Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J

This guy.

Was as good as Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J.

Doesn't show up in most list.

You don't even know who he is.

Default Re: Someone who's never talked about but was up there with Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J

OP thinks pretending to be braindead is funny.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Someone who's never talked about but was up there with Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J

Gus Williams. Very good player. Not up with the all time greats

Ignoring OP's shit take, Bob McAdoo would actually apply in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    for a handful of years anyway

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I thought this thread was gonna be about Sidney Moncrief, he wasn't on their level if we are judging each player by their prime, but there was a season or two where Moncrief was a top 5 player in the league.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I believe he was all NBA first team over magic, but this is the kind of thing where time and legacy over shadows perception from the people actually watching the league at the time. If you had some all nba type guard today put up 30 a game knocking somebody like KD like he did Kareems lakers? There would be a few people saying he was better. The trolls at least. Especially when he went on to win a ring.

These kinds of things do go to show you that all time rankings and legacy don’t really matter to a basketball game but at the same time all greats being closer than we wanna admit doesn’t mean there aren’t ways to distinguish a few tiers of greatness.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I thought this thread was gonna be about Sidney Moncrief, he wasn't on their level if we are judging each player by their prime, but there was a season or two where Moncrief was a top 5 player in the league.

I first assumed Moses Malone or Marques Johnson. I saw people talking about Johnson recently for some reason. Might’ve been his birthday. I do distinctly remember some people at the time in recordings saying Johnson was better than Dr. J just without the hype. Not in those words, but that was the message. I feel like it might’ve been Bob Lanier, but it may have been from when they were playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I believe he was all NBA first team over magic, but this is the kind of thing where time and legacy over shadows perception from the people actually watching the league at the time. If you had some all nba type guard today put up 30 a game knocking somebody like KD like he did Kareems lakers? There would be a few people saying he was better. The trolls at least. Especially when he went on to win a ring.

These kinds of things do go to show you that all time rankings and legacy don’t really matter to a basketball game but at the same time all greats being closer than we wanna admit doesn’t mean there aren’t ways to distinguish a few tiers of greatness.
    Seemed to be the Jimmy Butler of his day, good but far from BITW production in the regular season, then superstar caliber performances in the playoffs.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Tiny Archibald, George Gervin, Alex English, Dan Issell, Adrian Dantley, Bill Walton...

Not in the Hall of Fame has him in the top ten...but I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post

This guy.

Was as good as Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J.

Doesn't show up in most list.

You don't even know who he is.

Who is that, Carl Winslow before he had a family and put on weight?

Dude would be a JOKE in Lebron’s era

2 All NBA teams in his career. He was a good player for sure but is he even top 100 all time? Iffy

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    2 All NBA teams in his career. He was a good player for sure but is he even top 100 all time? Iffy
    you forgot the ring which seems to trump all for most people

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    you forgot the ring which seems to trump all for most people
    I do remember that because they beat the Bullets/Wizards. That was the last time the Wizards got past the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I first assumed Moses Malone or Marques Johnson. I saw people talking about Johnson recently for some reason. Might’ve been his birthday. I do distinctly remember some people at the time in recordings saying Johnson was better than Dr. J just without the hype. Not in those words, but that was the message. I feel like it might’ve been Bob Lanier, but it may have been from when they were playing together.
    The likes of Sidney or Moses was great, but they were absolutely not at the level of Kareem/Magic/Bird/Dr J.