Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Was Pistons Blake his best version for that one healthy season?

Or was he just in a league that had opened up more than his first couple years and it offset what he lost in athletic ability as much as or more than the skill increase? Piston skill set plus lob city athleticism equals….what?

How good a player would we be talking about?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Was Pistons Blake his best version for that one healthy season?

His prime was his first year. That's almost never true of a player but rookie Griffin had an impact like Barkley. It's easy to forget but he came into the NBA as a great rebounder. He lost that because he got injured. The passing he developed as he matured was nice and kept him at a high level but give me the overwhelming athletic force he was as a young player easily over savvy player that he became. Sure he made better decisions but when you can trash dudes the way he used to you don't have to read the defense all that well.

There are three answers:

a) Rookie Blake (most athletic)
    b) 2014 Blake (best combination of athleticism and skill)
    c) 2019 Detroit Blake (most skilled)

Could make an argument for all of them. RMWG has made a strong one for Rookie Blake.

That hypothetical is interesting. Piston Blake skillset + Lob City Blake athleticism. I imagine he'd look a little like a poor knock-off of LeBron. An athletic tweener point forward that can shoot threes. The major difference would be more of a two-footed jumper and rebounder and plays off-ball more.

As explosive as Blake was his game was actually pretty smooth and fluid. More so than LeBron's.

NBA rookie of the year

I think 2014 was first time I had seen him dominate the playoffs. He was even better in 2015 but he had a bad motor and would get tired in 4th quarter. The excuse was Doc didn't play his bench but Blake's limited skillset doesn't allow him to conserve energy.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    There are three answers:

a) Rookie Blake (most athletic)
    b) 2014 Blake (best combination of athleticism and skill)
    c) 2019 Detroit Blake (most skilled)

Could make an argument for all of them. RMWG has made a strong one for Rookie Blake.
    I think his prime was in his Clippers years, definitely.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    His prime was his first year. That's almost never true of a player but rookie Griffin had an impact like Barkley. It's easy to forget but he came into the NBA as a great rebounder. He lost that because he got injured. The passing he developed as he matured was nice and kept him at a high level but give me the overwhelming athletic force he was as a young player easily over savvy player that he became. Sure he made better decisions but when you can trash dudes the way he used to you don't have to read the defense all that well.

I don’t fully disagree, but I feel like impact is the wrong word for his rookie season considering they were shit the whole year he missed and they were shit when he played all 82 as a rookie. He at least had the Pistons in the playoffs and then when he was hurt for two years, I think they were the worst team in the league or at least down in that area. he might’ve had more impact on the pistons than he had on the clippers though I’m fine with acknowledging it didn’t feel like it at the time.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I don’t fully disagree, but I feel like impact is the wrong word for his rookie season considering they were shit the whole year he missed and they were shit when he played all 82 as a rookie. He at least had the Pistons in the playoffs and then when he was hurt for two years, I think they were the worst team in the league or at least down in that area. he might’ve had more impact on the pistons than he had on the clippers though I’m fine with acknowledging it didn’t feel like it at the time.
    "Impact" isn't the right word so I'll say he was productive and that was the best player he's ever been. The Clippers were just a bad team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

pro players can surprise us average fans when they show things you have never seen before.

When Grif went to Detroit - thought for sure he would not show up. Instead honored contract and played his best ball
    as leader , floor general and stats.
    I loved watching him , cause obviously I was thinking he was imitating Giannis.

unfortunately it was his last gas , but he has had a hell of a career.

Always enjoyed his commercials and watch till the end.

IMO - class act.

I loved how tight his handle was as a PF. He was so, like, dense, and compact. Powerful.

I thought Chris Paul made him less of a player in LA. Yeah he threw lobs and stuff... but their play styles and personalities didn't mesh. This wasn't Stockton and Malone. It was never better than the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post

Very good NBA starter

Can you imagine Blake playing with Luka or Jokic?

Or on a Spurs team with Popovich?

Blake is a wasted career unfortunately playing with known choker Paul and awful coach Rivers.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
    I loved how tight his handle was as a PF. He was so, like, dense, and compact. Powerful.
    Thick.Solid.Tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Can you imagine Blake playing with Luka or Jokic?

Or on a Spurs team with Popovich?

Blake is a wasted career unfortunately playing with known choker Paul and awful coach Rivers.

Youre acting like Blake was clearly the best player on those teams.

It was a 1A/1B type thing and prob more Paul