Very good NBA starter

Default Which players were widely considered superstars in college/high school?

I mean, which players had such a buzz that everyone knew they'd be stars already in college and high school?

Wilt
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    MJ
    Shaq
    Duncan
    AI
    Lebron
    Zion
    Luka

Did I miss anyone?

Someone like KG and Kobe were not sure things as I remember. People were high on them, but it wasn't like Duncan or AI, where everyone agreed they would be stars.

I must miss someone between Lebron and Zion. Curry it wasn't. What about Durant?

I guess my point here is that teams maybe should not try to draft the next big thing, because those really do not come around often. The Wemby hype is a good example and the Zion hype. Why draft on superstar potential and not just draft someone like Brunson, who is a proven winner?

Default Re: Which players were widely considered superstars in college/high school?

As for your list, you're right that there are few sure things, and even those are not so sure. You say Luka was a sure thing, but I remember Ricky Rubio having comparable buzz. Some guys are the real deal (or 80% or what you hoped they'd be, at least) but can't stay healthy (Zion, Sampson, Yao). Wembenyama seems a sure thing, but what if he starts going down the injury road?

Why draft on superstar potential and not just draft someone like Brunson, who is a proven winner?
    Imagine you have a pick #3-6. You were probably hoping for a #1 or 2, but you didn't get it. There's a temptation to take a big swing. I see it year after year.

Tyrese Haliburton falling is a good example. Everyone was 100% sure he'd be a good pro--everyone. But as I remember, everyone was also sure 100% he'd never be all-NBA. (They were wrong about this, though, apparently, even to my surprise.) If you're picking 3-6 you don't want a guy who projects that way. You want to land the big one.

As you say, it's a mistake. Unless you've got a top 3 or 4 player, your best player guarantees you nothing. It's the teams that find quality rotation and role guys year after year that contend, and then you just need to get lucky.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Which players were widely considered superstars in college/high school?

Greg Oden, Andrew Wiggins or Ben Simmons also had that hype. Yao Ming is another one. Anyway, I was surprised you listed my man AI. Wasn't he in jail for four months in High School? And afterwards only Georgetown continued to offer him a scholarship?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post
    Greg Oden, Andrew Wiggins or Ben Simmons also had that hype. Yao Ming is another one. Anyway, I was surprised you listed my man AI. Wasn't he in jail for four months in High School? And afterwards only Georgetown continued to offer him a scholarship?
    Yao yes, that's right. Simmons and Wiggins, hmm, I think opinion was more split on those.

AI has huuuge hype around him. He was very dominant in college too.

It's true about the jail thing, there were concerns he would literally be in prison instead of NBA, but in terms of hype, huge hype, generational hype.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
    As you say, it's a mistake. Unless you've got a top 3 or 4 player, your best player guarantees you nothing. It's the teams that find quality rotation and role guys year after year that contend, and then you just need to get lucky.
    Yes, like Spurs.

Drafting Kawhi, drafting Manu, drafting Parker. Kawhi the best example maybe of what you were speaking of with Haliburton.

I think teams ought to have learned by now.

In stock trading terms, the price of proven value talent, is underpriced in the market and the unproven growth talent is overpriced.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Wembanyama for sure. Not in college okay. But given his age he is considered a future superstar. Will he be is another question. (Kwame, Darko, Olowokandi, Oden etc.)

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Highschool
    Andrew Wiggins
    Lamelo ball
    Lonzo ball
    Harrison Barnes
    Shabaz muhhamad
    Jaylen brown

College
    Jj redick
    Steph curry
    Tyler zeller
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Adam Morrison

Overseas

Ricky Rubio

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    Highschool
    Andrew Wiggins
    Lamelo ball
    Lonzo ball
    Harrison Barnes
    Shabaz muhhamad
    Jaylen brown

College
    Jj redick
    Steph curry
    Tyler zeller
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Adam Morrison

Overseas

Ricky Rubio
    None of those were considered superstars to be.

Saw a basketball once

In the realm of college and high school sports, certain players stand out as true superstars. These are the individuals whose talent, dedication, and performance elevate them above their peers. From basketball courts to football fields, these players capture the attention of fans and scouts alike, showcasing their skills on a national stage. However, it's not just in athletics where recognition shines; academic prowess also brings its own brand of stardom. A lot of students are concerned about being caught using Edubirdie. There is the worry that their professor or teacher will find out and punish them for using a writing service. But there is nothing illegal about using a service as I read here https://edubirdie.org/can-you-get-ca...ing-edubirdie/, and it can be a fantastic way to learn and improve your skills. You can also improve your academic performance.

Fun KG facts:

Mexican Gangbangers almost killed KG with a GMC Jimmy just outside Farragut High School.
    Garnett never walked to/from school after that. It was for his constant racial bullying of the Mexican kids at Farragut during his time there (less than 10 at the time%). Now in 2024, Farragut is 65-70% Mexican.

KG lynched a white kid in a South Carolina high school, it’s why he was banned from ever attended any public high school in that state ever again, and wasn’t able to transfer to any other southeastern US high school. had to relocate with his extended family in chicago to finish high school.