Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: so...we all pretending the Suns aren'tt winning a title?

It's likely the Suns will not even win their own conference.

When that happens it will be another example of what I have explained for years which is that an NBA team is more than the sum of its parts.

It's easy when you take a casual glance at the Suns Roster and see all-star after all-star to think "they're the best team!".

But that's not how the NBA works.

Teams work when they have complementary parts, not a bunch of scorers all trying to score at the expense of everyone else. They win when you have unselfish players who make others on the team better.

NONE of their best players: Durant, Booker, Beal have a history of this.

No instead the team will be squabbling all year about who leads the offense, not getting enough looks.

I doubt there will be a team ethos on offense of ball and player movement, but rather each star ball-hogging and forcing shots. A guy like Ayton will probably grumble publicly, while someone like Beal will just force up shots.

While Beal has proven himself on defense, when you arrive at a team which is unserious on defense, and all the other stars on the team rest on defense, my guess is Beal's emphasis on D will atrophy rather than Durant suddenly figuring out team D matters.

By virtue of their sheer talent, the Suns will be a good team. But they won't compete against the top teams like the Nuggets and the Bucks, which have a balance of what you need to win- defensive-minded players, shooters, facilitators and most of all complementary, not overlapping, skill-sets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    Nobody is hating on them. Full Court I guess, but you can't take him seriously as it's a surprise he even knows how to log onto a website in the first place.
    Nah, I like like the Suns and would actually be happy to see them win the championship. Just couldn't resist throwing a little jab.

Are you still upset about the Lakers getting swept?

NBA rookie of the year

Durant's last two playoffs wins have been against injured teams. He's gotten his ass whooped by healthy teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax View Post
    Durant's last two playoffs wins have been against injured teams. He's gotten his ass whooped by healthy teams.
    nuggets werent injured

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    nuggets werent injured
    Jokic is very unlikely to get injured. As long as he is healthy and the bench is long, they have a very good chance to contend. With Murray and Gordon injured... yeah, that's tough. Gordon is also unlikely to get injured in his present role though.

NBA Superstar

nuggets werent injured
    Playoff wins

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    100% winning the title

it's exciting

especially for KD - he'll have elite ring count among current players and also have advantages in brand of ball that yields better teams and team ceiling/Finals record, and also a less exploitable skillset (you can rough him up but that's less exploitable than being a massive ball-dominator like Luka and Lebron - you'll never see Durant get beat by record amount with a super-team and preseason favorite - only an extremely weak brand of ball can lose like that)
    KD looked kinda washed last playoffs. If Suns are gonna go all the way they have to let Booker go Godbe mode and carry them (if Booker is capable). And then KD will have his 3rd cheat ring that no one will care about.

nuggets werent injured
    thats what he said

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Playoff wins
    yes. two wins against the nuggets

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Can't see the OP? Who created this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    KD looked kinda washed last playoffs. If Suns are gonna go all the way they have to let Booker go Godbe mode and carry them (if Booker is capable). And then KD will have his 3rd cheat ring that no one will care about.
    dropping 40 is washd ok

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    It's likely the Suns will not even win their own conference.

When that happens it will be another example of what I have explained for years which is that an NBA team is more than the sum of its parts.

It's easy when you take a casual glance at the Suns Roster and see all-star after all-star to think "they're the best team!".

But that's not how the NBA works.

Teams work when they have complementary parts, not a bunch of scorers all trying to score at the expense of everyone else. They win when you have unselfish players who make others on the team better.

NONE of their best players: Durant, Booker, Beal have a history of this.

No instead the team will be squabbling all year about who leads the offense, not getting enough looks.

I doubt there will be a team ethos on offense of ball and player movement, but rather each star ball-hogging and forcing shots. A guy like Ayton will probably grumble publicly, while someone like Beal will just force up shots.

While Beal has proven himself on defense, when you arrive at a team which is unserious on defense, and all the other stars on the team rest on defense, my guess is Beal's emphasis on D will atrophy rather than Durant suddenly figuring out team D matters.

By virtue of their sheer talent, the Suns will be a good team. But they won't compete against the top teams like the Nuggets and the Bucks, which have a balance of what you need to win- defensive-minded players, shooters, facilitators and most of all complementary, not overlapping, skill-sets.

People don't realize that the Suns' top 3 scorers can all average 5-7 assists while playing largely off-the-ball - all three have fantastic handles and creation that can easily play PG and they're all excellent passers

So this idea that they're just a bunch of good scorers is wrong - have you SEEN their handle?.. it's very impressive and skilled and all three average 5+ APG - they could average 8-10 apg at point guard if needed (all three have great handle and creation)

Sometimes I wonder what games everyone is watching - maybe that's the problem - you guys watch the games and listen to the commentators who claim these guys are just scorers - stop listening to these bums on ESPN etc, even if they're ex-players - they don't see the game at the level they need to from an analysis or philosophical standpoint.. The reality is that 3 expert jumpshooters that can all average 5-7 APG will fit like gloves
    Last edited by 3ba11; 08-17-2023 at 09:52 PM.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Them or the Nuggets. The Suns should probably trade Anton for some depth though.

i mean the premise implies tthat fully healthy theyre by far tthe best squad. my maid must have used watter bc my tt is sttuck on my keyboard.

anyways, the topic wasnt m ade under any false pretenses.

Oof.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    People don't realize that the Suns' top 3 scorers can all average 5-7 assists while playing largely off-the-ball - all three have fantastic handles and creation that can easily play PG and they're all excellent passers

So this idea that they're just a bunch of good scorers is wrong - have you SEEN their handle?.. it's very impressive and skilled and all three average 5+ APG - they could average 8-10 apg at point guard if needed (all three have great handle and creation)

Sometimes I wonder what games everyone is watching - maybe that's the problem - you guys watch the games and listen to the commentators who claim these guys are just scorers - stop listening to these bums on ESPN etc, even if they're ex-players - they don't see the game at the level they need to from an analysis or philosophical standpoint.. The reality is that 3 expert jumpshooters that can all average 5-7 APG will fit like gloves
    Double oof.