Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Street fighter vs Mortal Kombat

Which Super Nintendo game was better?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Street fighter vs Mortal Kombat

I played both games as a kid, although I loved how violent Mortal Kombat was, I always found Street Fighter to be a bit funner to play.

I was unstoppable with this dude.

Street Fighter II was definitely the better home conversion. The SNES port of Mortal Kombat was neutered by Nintendo's 'family friendly' policies resulting in removing blood( albeit there was a code for it IIRC but it still didn't look like the arcade effect) and changing some of the fatalities. The Genesis/Megadrive had the more arcade accurate MK1.

Mortal Kombat II on SNES though? Now we're talking....

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I played both games as a kid]
    Might want to be more careful. These slip ups unravel the lies you tell on here about your age.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

I grew up with Mortal Kombat, never got into street fighter but I did love the Marvel vs Capcom games

Both are better in arcade version. SF is a bit better on Super Nintendo than MK.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Street Fighter 2 undoubtedly showcased a more profound level of gameplay sophistication. Its mechanics ran deeper, bolstered by an array of characters boasting diverse fighting styles. This, in turn, positions it as the superior game in this regard (In my opinion).

On the other hand, the Mortal Kombat series followed a different trajectory. The initial battles versus the CPU were very weak. You can easily get flawless victories by just jump kicking. But then on the third battle, the CPU starts cheesing, and the only way to beat it is by discovering some pattern that would never work on a real conscious player. Nonetheless, this doesn't detract from the fact that Mortal Kombat, especially Mortal Kombat 2, deserves recognition as an exceptional gaming experience. It's just for distinct reasons.

Despite this lacking CPU, it still provided the challenge of beating the game. Overcoming the challenge was still fun. The satisfaction derived from overcoming such challenges continues to be enjoyable, so I don't want it to sound as if the game was not a good experience.

Moreover, the aspect of mastering and executing fatalities adds an intriguing layer to the gameplay. During that time, this feature often rendered Mortal Kombat 2 a more captivating experience than Street Fighter 2. The pursuit of achieving these fatalities acted as a rewarding incentive, driving players to seek accomplishment. It was just fun.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    Might want to be more careful. These slip ups unravel the lies you tell on here about your age.
    You would be surprised to find out how many kids grew up with video games system from generations before they were born. In fact, a considerable majority of the leading players of classic games, such as Super Mario Bro. are nearly all under the age of 18.

That was the case ten years ago, and now ten years later, younger kids took their place.

It looks as though Axe is going to be missing in action until tomorrow. Unless Patrick Chewing makes a post, in which case Axe will make a post less than two minutes after.

Anyway:

Suddenly smells like aspergers itt.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Suddenly smells like aspergers itt.
    You remind me of E. Honda. But with no muscle tone and a higher BMI.

Greg showcasing the increase in his autism levels each time he talks about me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Greg showcasing the increase in his autism levels each time he talks about me. ;)
    ;)

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Killer instinct

Dunking on everybody in the park

Street Fighter had the gameplay, MK had the graphics (for the time) and the edginess that appealed to kids/teens

It's telling Street Fighter 6 now still has the same level of basics as SF2, while Mortal Kombat is a totally different game now that happens to use the original characters.