Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default What's the Greatest NBA rivalry ever?

Imo Bird vs Magic.

Imagine getting Larry Bird to cry. Has to be some deep shit.

But open to opinions.

Banned

Default Re: What's the Greatest NBA rivalry ever?

Yeah, Bird vs Magic has got to be #1, or maybe #2 behind Wilt and Russell. Other honorable mentions are Jordan/Thomas and Duncan/Shaq.

For players I’d say Wilt vs. Russell, you really couldn’t have had more contrasting personalities than these two had, and unlike Magic & Bird they actually matched up h2h, and did so in high stakes series almost every year.

For teams, nobody will ever agree with me, but I’ll always maintain the fiercest rivalry was Knicks/Heat in the late 90’s. Several fights broke out between the two, and they met 4 years in a row in the playoffs, with all 4 series coming down to the deciding game, with the final 2 series being decided by a single point.

What hurts their argument is neither team ever won a championship, and the style of play was for sure ugly, but these two teams for real HATED each other, and their matchups always came down to the wire.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Lakers and Celtics in general but the most hatred was 76ers and Celtics then the Knicks and whoever in the 90s. Bulls. Heat. Pacers. Everyone hated the Knicks. I think the suns hated them too.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    For players I’d say Wilt vs. Russell, you really couldn’t have had more contrasting personalities than these two had, and unlike Magic & Bird they actually matched up h2h, and did so in high stakes series almost every year.

For teams, nobody will ever agree with me, but I’ll always maintain the fiercest rivalry was Knicks/Heat in the late 90’s. Several fights broke out between the two, and they met 4 years in a row in the playoffs, with all 4 series coming down to the deciding game, with the final 2 series being decided by a single point.

What hurts their argument is neither team ever won a championship, and the style of play was for sure ugly, but these two teams for real HATED each other, and their matchups always came down to the wire.
    The 90s east was wild with Goon talent. Definitely remember getting my ass kicked playing with street ballers that's snuck into the rutgers campus gym because it wasnt really about basketball, it was just a fight.

Lebron vs Hair Loss

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Bird fought Doctor J, Barkley, Moses, and Ivaroni and Cedric Maxwell fought Darryl Dawkins and the 76ers crowd. I think the coach got involved once. Philly and Boston had a fight in the preseason once. That’s the hatred the golden age rivalries were build on.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

LeCringe vs Respectability

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Shaq vs Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Bird fought Doctor J, Barkley, Moses, and Ivaroni and Cedric Maxwell fought Darryl Dawkins and the 76ers crowd. I think the coach got involved once. Philly and Boston had a fight in the preseason once. That’s the hatred the golden age rivalries were build on.
    It's kinda sad how there's none like that nowadays. Fighting made it more entertaining. I'd be instantly glued to the TV when a fight broke out as was everybody else. Clean up and now you cant touch me basketball is so much more boring.

I want to see a fist fight for once to liven things up.
    Last edited by tpols; 09-26-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    The 90s east was wild with Goon talent. Definitely remember getting my ass kicked playing with street ballers that's snuck into the rutgers campus gym because it wasnt really about basketball, it was just a fight.
    How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    How old are you?
    32 but I watched east basketball growing up going to a bunch of nets games. I haven't been to a live game in like a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    32 but I watched east basketball growing up going to a bunch of nets games. I haven't been to a live game in like a decade.
    I know, but you made it sound like you were at minimum a teenager or a young man playing 90s street ball as that post insinuated. Just curious. Streetball definitely used to be like that in all major cities, I would say up until the mid 2010s and the post modern Curry / Harden style influence. Now you can’t breathe on somebody without them calling a ***** ass foul.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    I know, but you made it sound like you were at minimum a teenager or a young man playing 90s street ball as that post insinuated. Just curious. Streetball definitely used to be like that in all major cities, I would say up until the mid 2010s and the post modern Curry / Harden style influence. Now you can’t breathe on somebody without them calling a ***** ass foul.
    When I was in college in 2010 kids from New Brunswick would sneak / get let into campus gyms to run pick up. It's nowhere near 90s pro ball but it made me realize that it's just a fight playing with guys like that.

Skill doesn't matter as much when you're wrestling all game long and at constant odds to throw hands. There's no refs lol. Pro ballers today have it easier where they can flop and beg for free throws. Calling a foul in street ball is a no go.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Lebron vs Hair Loss
    That's not a rivarly though. It's a beatdown.