Local High School Star

Default Hollywood writers strike ends

There will be new movies and TV shows again.

NYTimes.com: "After 148 days on strike, television and movie writers will begin returning to work on Wednesday. The Writers Guild of America, which represents 11,500 screenwriters, said on Tuesday that three internal boards had voted unanimously to end the strike and send a tentative contract with entertainment companies to members for ratification. The vote will start on Monday and end on Oct. 9. Members are expected to approve the three-year deal."

Default Re: Hollywood writers strike ends

Would have been a good time to replace the majority of them with AI

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

A win for humans!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

great, now highwhey will get more tv shows he can literally watch all day

They are aiming at video game industry next. And the actor strike hasn't ended yet.

Banned

Sounds like they're coming to terms on a three year deal. Imagine the advances in AI by then.

They're just kicking the can down the road at this point. Eventually most of them will be replaced, either by Hollywood or the average person being able to come up with amazing stories from the comfort of their couch.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Sounds like they're coming to terms on a three year deal. Imagine the advances in AI by then.

They're just kicking the can down the road at this point. Eventually most of them will be replaced, either by Hollywood or the average person being able to come up with amazing stories from the comfort of their couch.
    I’m not sure about that. Good writing is about nuance, emotional depth and insight. I’m sure it could happen but in my opinion it would be harder for AI to pull this off then we think. I do have to say I’m blown away with the things you can do with it already.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    I’m not sure about that. Good writing is about nuance, emotional depth and insight. I’m sure it could happen but in my opinion it would be harder for AI to pull this off then we think. I do have to say I’m blown away with the things you can do with it already.
    Good writers and people with good ideas will still be able to add depth and nuance. AI is just a tool that does the heavy lifting and makes their job 100x easier.

There will be zero reason for any production to have a team of writers on staff, because in reality one or two writers with ChatGPT can do the work in a fraction of the time.