Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jabari Parker explains why he left the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    No, because before his injury he was vastly superior to a player like say, Rudy Gobert.
    Makes sense.

20.1 > 15.9

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Makes sense.

20.1 > 15.9
    it certainly is. 1 rookie of the month < multiple all NBA/DPOTY

He’s right of course, which is why Ive always advocated the idea that teams who dont make the playoffs should all have equal lottery chances. And the league should tie more financial incentives INTO making the playoffs, but ofc the union would block it.

If a team that finished ninth in the conference gets the top pick… so what? Youre not adding a top pick to a reigning dynasty. It could elevate a treadmill team to a contender. If theyre a good young up and coming team who happens to get a top pick? Oh well. Some teams may get lucky, so what. Theres never a guarantee top picks amount to something anyway.

Bottom feeders should always be trying to compete. You can still play a younger roster and develop guys when you dont have a good record, but you should be trying to win. And you shouldnt be punished for trying to win by receiving a lesser pick. If everyone has equal lottery odds, the luck will spread around over time. Make success about how good an organization is run, not who can race to the bottom fastest.

This is sour grapes.

Jabari, after all his injuries, just couldn't cut it in the NBA. He has talent but his body just failed him. No need to frame it as you left willingly.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    He’s right of course, which is why Ive always advocated the idea that teams who dont make the playoffs should all have equal lottery chances. And the league should tie more financial incentives INTO making the playoffs, but ofc the union would block it.

If a team that finished ninth in the conference gets the top pick… so what? Youre not adding a top pick to a reigning dynasty. It could elevate a treadmill team to a contender. If theyre a good young up and coming team who happens to get a top pick? Oh well. Some teams may get lucky, so what. Theres never a guarantee top picks amount to something anyway.

Bottom feeders should always be trying to compete. You can still play a younger roster and develop guys when you dont have a good record, but you should be trying to win. And you shouldnt be punished for trying to win by receiving a lesser pick. If everyone has equal lottery odds, the luck will spread around over time. Make success about how good an organization is run, not who can race to the bottom fastest.
    the lottery odds have been evened out quite a bit which is why a team like the Jazz didn't completely tank. Wouldn't have increased their odds that much

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    This is sour grapes.

Jabari, after all his injuries, just couldn't cut it in the NBA. He has talent but his body just failed him. No need to frame it as you left willingly.
    wasn't just his body. Didn't have the right attitude. Lots of guys don't care about D they are just smart enough not to come out and say it or they will even talk like they are going to play D though they never will. I see you Donovon!

He's not wrong. That's what I said in my "just realized why I hate the NBA now" thread. A lot of these stars dunno how to play when they aren't competing for a championship and then a bunch of teams are losing on purpose. Say what you want about building for the future, but losing on purpose skews everything. It might seem like a fantasy to have teams out there trying to win every game, but IT WOULD BE COOL. I remember the Raps taking it to the 96 bulls.

Jabari isn't really that dude tho, but he's right. @Curry not saying to sacrifice to win now, but at least try to win? There were young, exciting teams that didn't win before. We don't really have that as much now? I can't think of any? Teams that it's like man they are prol gonna lose 50 gms but you know they are gonna do some wild stuff... if you don't try to win, you won't keep your stars, either. You will keep drafting and losing people. He's asking mediocre teams to try to win games, I think. Haha. If they did that and the bad teams developed their players, it would be a better place. Losing on purpose is bad for the NBA product as a whole. It makes the players on the team who is losing worse and it makes the players who are playing against them arguably worse as well because they know they are facing CUPCAKES.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post

If a team that finished ninth in the conference gets the top pick… so what? Y
    yea I've wondered about how to make that work, too. Haha, they need to start contracting bottom feeder teams. Demote them to the D league and split up their players. It's like economy, best to help the middle class. If you keep throwing people to the bottom, they just rot there then leave.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    wasn't just his body. Didn't have the right attitude. Lots of guys don't care about D they are just smart enough not to come out and say it or they will even talk like they are going to play D though they never will. I see you Donovon!
    He's the same as Michael Beasley. Tweener that provides nothing more than scoring. It's just not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    He's not wrong. That's what I said in my "just realized why I hate the NBA now" thread. A lot of these stars dunno how to play when they aren't competing for a championship and then a bunch of teams are losing on purpose. Say what you want about building for the future, but losing on purpose skews everything. It might seem like a fantasy to have teams out there trying to win every game, but IT WOULD BE COOL. I remember the Raps taking it to the 96 bulls.

Jabari isn't really that dude tho, but he's right. @Curry not saying to sacrifice to win now, but at least try to win? There were young, exciting teams that didn't win before. We don't really have that as much now? I can't think of any? Teams that it's like man they are prol gonna lose 50 gms but you know they are gonna do some wild stuff... if you don't try to win, you won't keep your stars, either. You will keep drafting and losing people. He's asking mediocre teams to try to win games, I think. Haha. If they did that and the bad teams developed their players, it would be a better place. Losing on purpose is bad for the NBA product as a whole. It makes the players on the team who is losing worse and it makes the players who are playing against them arguably worse as well because they know they are facing CUPCAKES.

-Smak
    Ehhhh, I do think some young exciting teams do exist. Memphis has been this (yes I know they had a good record last year). Also the Hornets and Pelicans fall into this category but their problem is they keep getting bad injury bugs. I would say this past season's Knicks also fall into this and have lots of people excited about them. They are just mediocre right now until their players develop..if they develop that is. I stand with you on the league being complete crap at developing players now though. It's one reason why I'm very curious about the situation in San Antonio and how that will play out with a coach who's probably the best developmental guy in the game right now

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    Ehhhh, I do think some young exciting teams do exist. Memphis has been this (yes I know they had a good record last year). Also the Hornets and Pelicans fall into this category but their problem is they keep getting bad injury bugs. I would say this past season's Knicks also fall into this and have lots of people excited about them. They are just mediocre right now until their players develop..if they develop that is. I stand with you on the league being complete crap at developing players now though. It's one reason why I'm very curious about the situation in San Antonio and how that will play out with a coach who's probably the best developmental guy in the game right now
    the play in and the new lottery odds have certainly improved things

People are dumb AF, I'll take any amount of millions to play on a losing basketball team til i retire

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    I'm talking about like 30 win teams lol As in teams that don't win much but are still fun to watch. Even NOP is decent (I think?) w/ Zion healthy and fit. Didn't see much Hornets. I hate Melo ball. Which is funny cuz I grew to kinda like Lonzo. But they would be a contender for that title if they were indeed exciting. But like in the 90s-00 there was trash teams that were fun to watch, that had a style even tho they were lotto.

-Smak