Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Yes or no, do you appreciate the game becoming all about the 3-pointer.

The game was going this way every since the line was conceived. It's just evolution of the game and yes in alot of ways the game is more skilled now than ever. Just think about jumpshooting in general, it was pretty vanilla before the line. Spot ups and maybe the skilled guys could dribble and pull up and shoot turn around, albeit a small percentage of the league. After the line was created the 3s we see today were basically considered in gamewinner situations and most of the time looked like luck. Other than that? Purely spotting up. Now we have guys driving and pulling up and stepbacks into 3s. A few guys even hit turnaround 3s....on purpose. We have guys shooting with accuracy from mid court. How is this not viewed as being more skilled. Everything stars were doing from mid range in the 90s is being done now at 25 ft out.

Default Re: Yes or no, do you appreciate the game becoming all about the 3-pointer.

Ehhh I get what you are saying but I do feel it has more to do with the emphasis on analytics as some others have mentioned here. Some AAU style BS doesn't really belong in the NBA IMO but I get why a lot of bad teams would do it, as you could get hot and overcome talent differential. However, more and more there are examples of very successful teams not being 3-centric (Nuggets, Bucks, etc). Even this past postseason we say the Clippers able to keep games close with the fricken stacked Suns just by looking for the best shot available and flowing through WB. There's a formula there, but a bunch of teams just don't want to follow it. Hoping more and more examples will continue to happen with teams that hammer that Rec league BS with actual fundamentals.

Nowadays if a team catches fire from 3 you can more or less balance out being outplayed in terms of those 'keys to the game' X's and O's: controlling the glass, low turnovers and out-assisting your opponent. Now the tug of war coaching chess of yesteryear has been replaced with everyone just running to the 3point line.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Hell no. This is far and away the biggest issue with the NBA and has been so for nearly half a decade now. Analytics figured out the most optimal style of offensive basketball, which zapped the league's creativity and has led to a very homogenized product.

It would never happen but games would be so much more fun to watch if they put a cap on 3pters.

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Well the truth is the 3 should be worth 2.5. That would solve a lot of issues. But because it would sound funny, it probably won’t happen. A lot of players would still shoot them, but the reward wouldn’t out of proportion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post
    Well the truth is the 3 should be worth 2.5. That would solve a lot of issues. But because it would sound funny, it probably won’t happen. A lot of players would still shoot them, but the reward wouldn’t out of proportion.
    I'm against half points on principle. Points should always be a whole number.

I think they probably need to move the three point line back so that the average % doesn't make it such a lucrative shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    I say the game cannot be all about the 3.
    It's not. Players take a lot more 2s than 3s.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    It's not. Players take a lot more 2s than 3s.
    But they're still passing up high percentage 2's in favor of gambling on 3's, as illustrated by my fast break example in the OP.

Now players are under the impression that if they're open for a 3, they have to take it no matter what. In fact the whole object of the game is about setting up open 3's.

For me it has to be a high risk shot or it doesn't work. Now that the 3 has been mastered by even the most common players, you can't just reward guys with an extra point on what's considered a run of the mill shot.

That's exaggeration. There's plenty of fast break 2s.

College superstar

I'm fine with the 3s. It's the soft calls, flopping and travelling that gets to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Not really. How many post scorers do we see in the league anymore? How many mid range jumpers are teams taking now a days? You don't really see the little two man game inside the arc anymore. Everything is predicated on the 3 pointer. Analytics say to shoot lots of 3s. It's just a chuckfest instead of good basketball for the most part.
    This

But low IQ dummies like Johnny32 will say, duh moar 3 point shooterz equals moar skills der hur

It irks me to see 2 on 1, 3 on 2 fast breaks end up in a 3 pointer being chucked and having it brick and rebounded by the defense...attack the rim FFS!
    Last edited by TheMan; 09-28-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    That's exaggeration. There's plenty of fast break 2s.
    It's not an exaggeration, it happens multiple times per game.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    I think the creation of the 3 point shot was a beautiful idea. It's not what Naismith envisioned but you can't deny it opened up the game and made it more appealing to more fans. It also opened the doors for other types of players to thrive even if they couldn't be physically dominant, rewarding their execution and skill instead.

But the reason it worked was because it was considered a high risk shot. Only the best and most gifted shooters in the league were shooting them with confidence. For every other player it was a last ditch hail mary effort.

Today the shot is no longer considered high risk, it's the opposite in fact. The math encourages it. The players are shooting that good. They've been practicing 3's since they were kids. And now we have a game where teams ignore the 2 in favor of the 3. Instead of players running to the basket on a fast break, they dart to the corners.

I'm sorry, but that is not basketball to me. Basketball is about trying to work towards the best possible shot, it's not about gambling on low percentage 3's and hoping the math wins out in the long run. That is a clear sign that something needs to be changed. When Wilt became too physically dominant, the league had no choice but to change the rules because they recognized the game can't just be about physical dominance. I say the game cannot be all about the 3. It's a great feature, but it can't be the primary form of attack. Otherwise all you're watching is two teams chuck 3's all game with every team and every player playing the exact same style.

I propose they move the 3 point line back. It has to be a high risk shot again. I know you can't move the corner 3 back without getting rid of it entirely, so I would even be in favor of expanding the width of the court as well. These guys are bigger and faster anyway and cover way more ground than they used to. If you want things to return to the way it was, expanding the width of the court and moving the 3 back is really the only solution I could muster at this point.

Do you agree or am I just an old man yelling at clouds.

How about this idea = since the corner three is ( I believe) 22 feet vs the 23 feet and nine inches where the line is curved, so we widen the court 1 foot and nine inches so the corner three is exactly the same distance from all spots on the court. I would think the corner shot % would then drop a bit and the corner spacing would be the same to the out of bounds line as it is today. Perhaps the overall % would drop a bit and more 2 point shot strategy would resurface? Maybe try this for a measured period of time and see what transpires?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
    How about this idea = since the corner three is ( I believe) 22 feet vs the 23 feet and nine inches where the line is curved, so we widen the court 1 foot and nine inches so the corner three is exactly the same distance from all spots on the court. I would think the corner shot % would then drop a bit and the corner spacing would be the same to the out of bounds line as it is today. Perhaps the overall % would drop a bit and more 2 point shot strategy would resurface? Maybe try this for a measured period of time and see what transpires?
    the court won't be widened. Too much money in those seats

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    This

But low IQ dummies like Johnny32 will say, duh moar 3 point shooterz equals moar skills der hur

It irks me to see 2 on 1, 3 on 2 fast breaks end up in a 3 pointer being chucked and having it brick and rebounded by the defense...attack the rim FFS!

Yeah the most efficient shots are at the rim. It seems like players have forgotten that. Passing up a layup to take a 3 is just dumb unless you need a 3 at the end of the game.

What is really embarrassing is at the end of a game when a guy jacks up a bad 3 when they are down 1.